The keys to your company truck.

TruckingBiker

IF YOU DON'T RIDE, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW!
The other morning about 3am we stop at a loves to grab a drink and switch drivers. We pulled forward of the fuel island, locked the doors and went in. Ten min. later we return and the drivers door was open. When we opened the door the rest of the way, Vegas, our mini-pin ran at us barking. She never does that. This is the second time somthing like this has happened. All of our trucks are keyed the same. They give us lockes to go over the air brakes but if it wasn't for the dog we would have been replacing alot of electronics.

Does anyone eles have this problem?

TruckingBiker

I used to drive for a company that had same series trucks keyed the same.
I would worry about my truck and my belongings anytime I would have to leave it parked.
You could maybe put an under video surveillance sticker on the doors.
Not only do current company drivers have same copy keys, but ex employees might still have copies, as well.
Glad that your dog took care of business for you, TB!

I used to drive for a company that had same series trucks keyed the same.
I would worry about my truck and my belongings anytime I would have to leave it parked.
You could maybe put an under video surveillance sticker on the doors.
Not only do current company drivers have same copy keys, but ex employees might still have copies, as well.
Glad that your dog took care of business for you, TB!

Hey Good Idea!

TruckingBiker

Bummer.

I don't think I would feel comfortable running a rig that was keyed the same as a zillion others. I know some of the larger fleets do this so it is easier to manage their rolling stock. The "one key fits everything" philosophy reduces costs, and streamlines the work processes. When the truck is at the terminal and needs to go to the shop for repairs and maintenance, the technician only needs one key, and doesn't have to go rummaging through a keyboard looking for a key.

You say this has happened before. How big is your company?

I bet there are some former drivers who left under unfavorable circumstances, and they are trying to cause trouble.

Have you talked with your supervisor about this? You know, to address your concerns about the security of your truck, the load, and your personal belongings?

I guess I am fortunate that I drive for a smaller company, and there is enough diversity in the fleet that having the one key fits all mentality wouldn't work.

Hey! They are looking for teams and some for dedicated runs.

They probably assume a team-driven truck would rarely be unattended. When I started driving I drove for Covenant. When they had a "high security load", whatever that means, ... they would only let teams haul them, and they required at least one driver be with the truck at all times.

If you have that problem, (I have owned a couple company trucks) for less then a hundred bucks. you can get new door locks installed. won't stop anybody who really wants to get in.

Or...you could go in one at a time, while the other stands guard with an M943859034 Machine gun to kill whatever puke sumbitch your company hired...

I dunno, but judging by all those numbers it's probably pretty big.

Just go to the dealer and get a lock set. They aren't expensive or difficult to install.

I got broke into at the Plot in Ft. Worth while I was asleep. I think it was a lot lizard. Only thing missing was the cash in my pants pocket. Computer, phone, camera, were all right there and easier to get than the cash. It was pretty unnerving. My truck was also broke into about 15 minutes after I parked it in a secure lot with locked gate and cameras. They disconnect the battery so the alarm wouldn't go off. They got my $400 ranger radio and my TV.

Racer- I haven't talked to my company yet about it but im going too.
Duck- we don't have much high security loads with this company. We pretty much do things together when we are both up.
Boon- I will ask my terminal mgr about that when I talk to him.
Sinister- I would do that! But first I would beat the livin crap outta him. By then though Gayla would feel sorry for him and make me call ems and those useless pukes w/uniforms, guns and tazers!
Brick- We left the window down while sleeping one time at a small truck stop in BristolTn. over by and I put my pants on the driver seat. (Ya I know) but anyway I had just taken out $400 bucks from the ATM and had my wifes wedding ring in my pocket. That was a lot lizard I know. It was also a VERY hard lesson to learn.

TruckingBiker

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread