The Autonomous Trucking Forum - Information On A New Era Of Trucking

hmm i wonder if the system if gonna be driven by satellite or sensors all over the place or both. and what tax payer is gonna want to pay for all that nonsense:confused-96:. i guess that alot of people don't realize that 70% of accidents are caused by assholes in 4 wheelers. the crap that they make today has so many eletronics in them they won't even last 5 years. mike said that he see's alot of disasters with these things as i think that alot of us do. i can't wait to see one of these thing going through a place like NY with cars parked all over the place people in 4wheelers acting like idiots:D

Last edited:
One of my Friends told me he got a pic with Lisa from IRT.
I asked him if he could delete the pic?
He asked why?
I said because it was a pic with Lisa from IRT:confused2: Do I have to explain everything:dunno:

One of my Friends told me he got a pic with Lisa from IRT.
I asked him if he could delete the pic?
He asked why?
I said because it was a pic with Lisa from IRT:confused2: Do I have to explain everything:dunno:

I had an army buddy stationed in Alaska who's wife met one if the dudes I forget which one. He sold him coffee at the truck stop every morning in the off season while they were there. She said he was a really nice dude...eh whatever.

i don't see self driving trucks for atleast another 15-20 years away. though what i do see is using this feature as a supplement now. but still i would not trust it:eek:

I am sure they will succeed. I have been waiting a long time for self driving trucks. If they get into the market, I may look at going back to OTR.
I have no illusions like the truck haters out there. Airplanes have had auto pilot for years and yet there are still two pilots on every plane.

You are right. Autonomous doesn't mean human-less. Freight moving is a bit more complicated business than a taxi. So the person should be on board to control all non-driving issues like docs, preventing the cargo theft, and so on

Autonomous trucks are the future. We won't see it in our life time but they are coming. Any kinks will be worked out, I'm sure. They're more cost effective.

more cost effective no driver!!! they can strip all the **** out of it and make it lighter they can also run it 24-7 at slower speeds for better fuel economy :bonk:.
The only idjits that will invest in large scale automation will be the megas... that only haul about 20-30% of trucking freight. Assuming they can make that junk work reliably. Their competitors are railroads... all aiming for the cheapest freight market.

The rest of trucking freight is hauled by small trucking companies. Thay are unlikely to employ or be able to afford the cost of truck automation for a long time.

How many automatic Uber rides have you paid for recently? None. They can't even keep these things from killing pedestrians when supervised by a bored, inattentive supervisory operator.

If they go full driverless, it won't even need a cab anymore. They can put more freight there.
That's not going to be free.

A basic 2018 Cascadia without an automation package is going to run $160k to start with. Add $50k (?) for the truck, and who knows how much for the computers and software to support dispatching and monitoring thing. That won't be cheap. Let's say $100k on top of the basic truck.

You want to be a trucking baron. Got a cool quarter million stashed for your first one?

That's not going to be free.

A basic 2018 Cascadia without an automation package is going to run $160k to start with. Add $50k (?) for the truck, and who knows how much for the computers and software to support dispatching and monitoring thing. That won't be cheap. Let's say $100k on top of the basic truck.

You want to be a trucking baron. Got a cool quarter million stashed for your first one?
Only 100k on top of a basic truck? Automation aspect pays for itself in 3 years or less. If you already bring in good profits when you have a driver salary and benefits package eating away at your bottom line...you're banking big time without it.

No one is going to be expected to pay cash up front for it, just like they don't for ones with drivers in them.

Only 100k on top of a basic truck? Automation aspect pays for itself in 3 years or less. If you already bring in good profits when you have a driver salary and benefits package eating away at your bottom line...you're banking big time without it.

No one is going to be expected to pay cash up front for it, just like they don't for ones with drivers in them.
So far, the technology nerds have the idea that all there is to trucking is going up and down the roads.

How was your day yesterday? You just went up and down the roads last night, huh? Nothing else.

Let's see these things deal with NYC or LA rush hour traffic. So far, all they can manage is rural, middle of nowhere interstate. That isn't a real world trial.

Turn one loose in an urban environment at night, and the first thing it did was kill a pedestrian.

Good show!

So far, the technology nerds have the idea that all there is to trucking is going up and down the roads.

How was your day yesterday? You just went up and down the roads last night, huh? Nothing else.

Let's see these things deal with NYC or LA rush hour traffic. So far, all they can manage is rural, middle of nowhere interstate. That isn't a real world trial.

Turn one loose in an urban environment at night, and the first thing it did was kill a pedestrian.

Good show!
Are you talking about that Uber Volvo?

I saw the footage. I can't say for sure if I'd have seen that pedestrian myself. At least on video she seems to appear out of nowhere. Normal visual acuity (being better than video) and scanning suggests perhaps I'd have noticed something before she got in front of me, but I can't say for certain.

Human drivers do hit pedestrians and other things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread