• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Start as a Swift man.

Don't feel badly about this. Trucking is not for everyone. We're fond of saying that its a lifestyle, not a career, and there's a lot of truth in that. Many folks like to attribute the high driver turnover rate at training carriers to the supposed inherent poor nature of said large-lettered carrier. Quite a bit of the churn is attributable to the feelings you're having right now. OTOH, not all carriers are Swift, and while this one may not fit there are others may suit you much better.

So some thoughts for you. While irregular route OTR may not be your bag, there are plenty of driving jobs that are more local or regional in nature, allowing one to infest their own bed on a more or less regular schedule. Before you give Swift th' ol' heave ho, you may want to begin investigating the requirements for these jobs... if that appeals to you. Having a year of experience can sometimes work more to your benefit than 6 months in landing such a situation. Many carriers do have minimum experience requirements due to their agreements with with their insurance providers.

Good luck.

Well stated...
I'm glad you got your scripts refilled.
:D

What graduation? From Swift?
I'm done with electives in few weeks, but I have another management class in April (it's just writing reflection on styles of management).
Graduate degree, it's checking a box thing.

I don't see a much improvement (from current 'life style') if I start Owner/ Op. If I choose to purchase a truck and run on my own, it is still same: 'living in a truck'. I am thinking I want to get back into a side office in the corporate building and be home by 5:30.

Or I could even become a driver manager for Swift or an management trainee, if I stay with the trucking industry that is. I saw they had an open spot.

Last edited:
Management trainees start on graves and weekends. Its gonna be awhile before you see 1730 unless you're chained to a cube.

I want to leave with this;

I must say that I found few good things about trucking:
1) lots of 'me' time to think about things. I will miss this part
2) growing out my beard and hair
3) ...?

I also want to keep the doors open, in case I need to fall back again.

Thanks and safe trucking!

J

I kind of took you for a soft non hacker. I believe I said that from the onset of your "trucking career" But agreed to stay silent until you washed out.

Best of luck in you future endeavours!

In my experience; whenever an ex-driver "moves up" into management he becomes either one of the best or one of the absolute worst..... nowhere in between.

You know the type... "I was a driver (they don't say for 5 months)" and everything you do they did faster and better.

I had one of those when I worked for Crosby Molasses doing southern Quebec and Ontario. Always raving about "Stay away from truckstops. I only stopped for fuel and was gone. Did your run 2 days faster". Finally I shut him up. "If you never stopped explain to me why every truckstop I go to they're asking where... boss's name... is?".

He sat there with his mouth hanging open. The Big Boss darn near wet himself trying not to laugh. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread