So You Want To Be A Truck Driver

When I started school and went to get my permit, they found a ticket for running a stop sign in North Carolina in 1988 that I supposedly didn't pay. I actually had paid it but records were lost. I held a security clearance in the military, had a government emergency vehicle license, drove ambulances as a paramedic all through the 90's and went through background checks for the paramedic job and a job with the state of Illinois. None of them picked up an old uncleared ticket and failure to appear warrant, but the background check for a CDL sure did. By the time I paid to Fed-Ex the money for fines and everything else to clear it, that stupid ticket cost me over $700.

You better have your crap together before you waste time going to get a CDL.

Did I miss something in the passing years??? When did it become mandated that a person take cdl school? I did not! I got my permit. Than took my test. I know without a doubt it is hard to find people that will hire someone like that..... But is it still possible?

It was in 200 when I got mine. I was working for a city municipality. Than it seems from there once I had it. The job landings were easier and easier:)

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=380.503

I've been reading this overly thrilling material, and can't find anywhere where it says anything about hours of schooling needed. Am I looking in the right spot?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to get my lady out here with me, I think I found a place that will take her on (with me) without schooling. This article saying 5,000 dollar schooling is necessary scares me:)

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=380.503

I've been reading this overly thrilling material, and can't find anywhere where it says anything about hours of schooling needed. Am I looking in the right spot?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to get my lady out here with me, I think I found a place that will take her on (with me) without schooling. This article saying 5,000 dollar schooling is necessary scares me:)

The Insurance Companies are driving that.

There is no rule that says how many hours of school are needed. You don't a single minute of school or instruction. If you can pass the test you get a license.

Like Ike said, it's the insurance companies who tell the companies what is required to put a new driver on.

If you do get your CDL without any schooling you may find some independent or small company who bends the rules and lets you drive for them. After a few years you are considered a competent driver. At that point you can go back to the large companies and they will hire you because of your experience and schooling does not come into play.

You can get your CDL then sit on your ass for 2 years drinking beer and eating Twinkies then have your buddy who owns a small trucking company to say, yes, Kent Dorfman drove for me these past 2 years and YOUR IN.

Twinkies....Mmmm...that reminds me

A father and his little daughter were in the barber shop while dad got a haircut.
The little girl was eating a snack.
The barber says, you better stand back or your going to get hair on your Twinkie.
The little girl says, ya, my dad says I'm going to get boobs too.

Skateboard is off the mark.

Micabay did not have formal training to obtain his CDL. Swift hired him and sent him out with a trainer. That's what the larger training companies will do in many cases.

Skateboard is off the mark.

Micabay did not have formal training to obtain his CDL. Swift hired him and sent him out with a trainer. That's what the larger training companies will do in many cases.

Swift, and CRE will most likely do that, (CRE has there own school) But if I am not mistaken most everyone else wants you to show up with CDL in hand.
I think the biggest issue in most cases for someone to get a CDL without going to the school is the road test. (the wriiten tests are not difficult at all if you at least skim through a driver handbook) not everyone has access to a commercial vehicle with a 48 or 53' trailor to take the road test, and if you are fortunate to know someone thats willing to loan you thier 175K + vehicle, and you wreck it because you have never driven one on the public highway before, thier Ins will most likely skyrocket if not get cancelled for letting a non-licenced driver behind the wheel.

If you wanted to get in to a local company that may run regional, most of them are going to want to see some type of formal training to satisfy the insurance companies requirements.

From: http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/apply-cdl.php#New-Federal-Requirements

Although the page is supposed to be pertinent to Illinois, this section appears to be generic as it mentions "many states" in the last paragraph.

Minimum Training Requirements

There are no federal standards in place for on-the-road commercial driver training. The government only requires that you take and pass your CDL knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests. Longer-combination-vehicle (LCV) drivers must receive training in driver wellness, driver qualifications, hours of service, and whistleblower protection.
Your state's commercial driver's manual is a good place to learn basic information, but you will need to be professionally trained to drive a commercial motor vehicle.
In order to pass your driving skills tests, you will need to learn how to inspect vehicles before driving, learn how to couple and uncouple tractors and trailers, and have plenty of practice driving. This includes driving in different conditions and on different road surfaces, turning, parking, backing up, and braking.
Many motor carriers train their employees, while other drivers take courses at private driving schools, vocational or technical schools, and community colleges. Individual states often approve or certify training courses. The Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI) has set minimum standards for training curriculums and certifies driver training courses that meet industry and Federal Highway Administration (FHA) guidelines. Many employers require their drivers to take PTDI-approved training.
Some states may specify minimum training guidelines. Check with your state's motor vehicles department to see if there are minimum training requirements to get your CDL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread