GPS So I bit the bullet and got a TND 740

THBatMan8

Long story short I was running too many apps on my phone at one time and sucking data like it was going out of style.

I still use Google for traffic updates, but after a while 2 main flaws were really starting to bug me. If I lost internet service, it would cause Google to crash. I'd have to reboot the app and then reload the route. During a phone call on Bluetooth, the GPS would talk over the person on the line.

I've been running the 740 for a few months now, and actually I'm quite impressed with it. No complaints yet.

Did you have a dedicated gps before that purchase?

I dont even re-prgram em any more

When the screen burns out..

every fall about thankgiving TA/PETRO got last years model for like 2 hundred bucks

They last like 3 years too heck my current RandMcnally is like 2015 and still works but shes slow either ya keep it plugged in and just shut the screen off or it takes like half the day to scan and reboot

I dont even re-prgram em any more

When the screen burns out..

every fall about thankgiving TA/PETRO got last years model for like 2 hundred bucks

They last like 3 years too heck my current RandMcnally is like 2015 and still works but shes slow either ya keep it plugged in and just shut the screen off or it takes like half the day to scan and reboot

Another thingy is Rand Mcnally makes junk chargers cords

Solution to that is when your garmin in the car burns out same connectors

That garmin cord for your car will last forever

cord for your car will last forever.
I was just thinking about creating a new thread talking about phone cords and the like.

Can you ever have a perfect phone cord that last.

You either end up breaking it losing it or it springs a short.

You get a new one its either too long to short the color is too loud to leave in car or truck.

You buy a back up one, that one is too lose keeps falling out.

You get lucky and find a perfect one that fits just right for multiple phone/devices.

But you end up step on that one too many times bending to connector. Or too much gunk gets into the tip. On amd on and on

I bought a lifetime "subscription" (a one time purchase) to CoPilot for my phone back when I was with USX because they're both based on PC Miler. I wanted the same Nav results in case theirs fubared.

It stays updated maps wise and has real time traffic, can automatically reroute you around it, and will keep your ETA updated. Also has a little bar with green, yellow, and red indicating where on the route the delays are relative to your progress and position.

Routing itself has been about 99% and automatically gives you multiple options when you enter your stops.

Only significant wierdness is the way it calls exits "junctions" (because it's European) on screen but "exits" on voice and it doesn't call out the exit number on voice but does display it on screen.

It'll voice out how far until the exit though so it hasn't been a deal breaker for me.

Most importantly, it's entirely stored on phone so signal loss doesn't affect it for nav. You only lose real time features when you don't have a signal.

I've been through a ton of phone cords though. Trucking is hard on them for some reason. I usually just get 3-6 foot braided ones from Amazon in multi-packs.

I was just thinking about creating a new thread talking about phone cords and the like.

Can you ever have a perfect phone cord that last.

You either end up breaking it losing it or it springs a short.

You get a new one its either too long to short the color is too loud to leave in car or truck.

You buy a back up one, that one is too lose keeps falling out.

You get lucky and find a perfect one that fits just right for multiple phone/devices.

But you end up step on that one too many times bending to connector. Or too much gunk gets into the tip. On amd on and on

I bought one of those Tough Tested cords at TA for $30 dollars afew years back mainly cause my dumbass left the one I had in a motel during a dealer visit

Anyhow I am still using it at home in my own vehicles and still works even snaps in tight

1561209114961-1555132195.jpg1561209114961-1555132195.jpg

That looks like a nice cord

If not Id be cussing and swearing about how I got "ripped" off at a Truck Stop

Yes 30 some dollars seems outrageous on surfaface

Yet it "out-lasted" atleast a dozen Walmart cheapys and Still "Works"

Long story short I was running too many apps on my phone at one time and sucking data like it was going out of style.

I still use Google for traffic updates, but after a while 2 main flaws were really starting to bug me. If I lost internet service, it would cause Google to crash. I'd have to reboot the app and then reload the route. During a phone call on Bluetooth, the GPS would talk over the person on the line.

I've been running the 740 for a few months now, and actually I'm quite impressed with it. No complaints yet.
Before I got out of drivers school, I had two gps units from Ebay sitting at home. You cannot go wrong with extra equipment to make your job easier.

Before I got out of drivers school, I had two gps units from Ebay sitting at home. You cannot go wrong with extra equipment to make your job easier.
I just wish the compasses were better. Like in our cars a simple N/S/E/W is continually displayed. I'm surprised google maps or other similar apps does not incorporate that.

Unless I'm missing out on something.

I just wish the compasses were better. Like in our cars a simple N/S/E/W is continually displayed. I'm surprised google maps or other similar apps does not incorporate that.

Unless I'm missing out on something.
I believe you can adjust that in the settings

Does the TND740 let you enter height and width parameters for routing? More specifically height?

I can go shorter than 13'6 on Copilot but not taller.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread