So how many months should one have in reserves?

We have a pekinese

It's the leg of mom's boxer.

The fuzzball, the wife picked up while I was gone a year ago during the week, is a pekinese.

That fuzzball, looking back now, was all over me before my heart attack for two weeks. Pushing my head in the morning to get me up, curling up into my chest etc.

Like she knew something wasn't right with me.
My dads dog would not leave his side for weeks and then he found out he had cancer.

I've been thur a couple of serious injuries in my life. And what I do know is its one day at a time. You do what the Docs. say and do your best everyday. You'll get there just don't push it too hard. I know it taught me patience that was not there before. Just Saying.

Went running to drop off papers with cardiac rehab and occ health yesterday. About an hour. All I could take

Today, went walking to get groceries. Wife drove and daughter pushed the card. All I could do.

Nap time now

As an o/o, its common to hear ,"you need to have 6 months expenses!"

Eh, partly........I'll agree with that.

Careful what you ask for.

Have the resources you need available to you and think of this.

If you have an acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), you will be out 2 months minimum. If you get a bypass, a minimum of 3 months. DOT regulations

An angiogram will cost upwards of $80,000 and that's with only a 3 day stay. Not sure what the ambulance ride will cost.

Not doing anything fancy, household bills can quickly hit $8500 for 90 days.

Are you ready for that?

And laying it straight out, July 5th I woke up at 5 am with chest, shoulder and both arms in major pain. By 8 AM, I was admitted into the Mayo clinic in Rochester MN for having a heart attack.

I'm 47, 250 lbs and have a horrible family history of heart attacks.

Now the recovery begins.

I'm so sorry for you my story is similar I was 46 had a heart attack, had 3 stints placed was out for 2 months. 2 years later had another one with 2 more stints placed. Again another 2 month out. Had 22 k stashed for a back up or a motor guess witch won? Lol. Took 3 years in all to pay off my debts and that was with insurance! Now sitting at home with a broken arm for the last month. Oh the joy of it!

Take care of yourself , have a good recovery .
Ten years before i contract the tuberculosis and i tell you i fell bad for the first 3 month due to the treatment are so strong [ like vegetable ]
Today every think fell right thanks god .
Must be patient bro .

well since your still alive, congrats to you, since its a year old thread.
though back to your original question & thread title, which no one has replied to the question !
it all depends on peoples situations for backup money.
if you're able to, I'd say 6 months of living expenses, aside from medical, just basic living food, rent/utilities, insurance, etc...

Coming back to this......

July 31, 2015. Wife wrecked her motorcycle and her ankle. She lost one job as a waitress. She'll never be able to do that much on her feet again.

December 23, 2015, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident with fatality. Truck was parked for 7 weeks getting repaired. It was 10 weeks from the accident when I finally had my lost revenue settlement come in.

We had a total of about 5 months in the last 12 with zero income.

It can hurt. Thankfully, I had reserves and accounts receivable to help carry us through.

As @Mike said, never stop putting money away. You never know why or when you'll need reserves.

Coming back to this......

July 31, 2015. Wife wrecked her motorcycle and her ankle. She lost one job as a waitress. She'll never be able to do that much on her feet again.

December 23, 2015, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident with fatality. Truck was parked for 7 weeks getting repaired. It was 10 weeks from the accident when I finally had my lost revenue settlement come in.

We had a total of about 5 months in the last 12 with zero income.

It can hurt. Thankfully, I had reserves and accounts receivable to help carry us through.

As @Mike said, never stop putting money away. You never know why or when you'll need reserves.

Yes this is a clear answers take are a maximum if possible you don't know what happen tomorrow . In my own opinion one years front is a minimum included all expense for the family.

Doesn't matter if you are talking trucking or some other trade.

Heart attacks and motorcycle wrecks happen to all kinds of people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread