'Scuse me.... I just finished my 30 and now ... (complete the sentence)

DubbleD

Color Commentator
... I have to drive 30 minutes later into the night hours.

I hate driving at night but according to the FMCSA I'm a much safer driver now that I've rested for the required break.

fuggin ass holes.

I used to prefer driving at night, (but that was when I was younger). What is worse is night driving and raining hard at same time. :coffee:

I'm thinking the 34 thing is going to be a bigger problem now that I'm looking at it, especially for people whp get home every 5-6 days, and can't reset.

Why the hell can't you reset??

... I have to drive 30 minutes later into the night hours.

I hate driving at night but according to the FMCSA I'm a much safer driver now that I've rested for the required break.

fuggin ass holes.
Pull your big girl panties up and deal with it...sir.:cautious:

I'm thinking the 34 thing is going to be a bigger problem now that I'm looking at it, especially for people whp get home every 5-6 days, and can't reset.

Why the hell can't you reset??
Cause you cant, they said so. Its not a problem. For 60 years there was no such thing as a "reset" then they come up with a "reset" and now they've limited the "reset" to 1 every 168 hours and the whole trucking world thinks its somehow gonna come crashing down.
Have people forgot how to "recap" and how it works?:cool:

No, it's just that there's no reason to not be able to reset if a guy gets home every week, which many people do. Now it makes a recap a pain in the ass if you happen to have 3 - 34 restarts within that time. It's harder to keep track of. I didn't say anything was coming crashing down.

A guy could have a 34 off, and still be bumping 70 by mid week. It's stupid.

Cause you cant, they said so. Its not a problem. For 60 years there was no such thing as a "reset" then they come up with a "reset" and now they've limited the "reset" to 1 every 168 hours and the whole trucking world thinks its somehow gonna come crashing down.
Have people forgot how to "recap" and how it works?:cool:
Those of us on e-logs can't "fix" the logs to make it look like we've got hours.

No, it's just that there's no reason to not be able to reset if a guy gets home every week, which many people do. Now it makes a recap a pain in the ass if you happen to have 3 - 34 restarts within that time. It's harder to keep track of. I didn't say anything was coming crashing down.

A guy could have a 34 off, and still be bumping 70 by mid week. It's stupid.

Yup, what he said.

I meant to type 2 - 34 hour restarts actually, but the point remains.

I meant to type 2 - 34 hour restarts actually, but the point remains.
You can, kinda.
If you "take" a 2nd 34 you have to "void" your 1st 34.
The only way to void it is to count them days as 0 (zero) BUT to do that then you have to recap the hours on the week leading up to that 34 then recapping the hours up to the 34 you wanna count, if at any point you go over your 70 your screwed.

The 30 minute break killed me on this trip. It was the final straw.

Trip started bad when trailer wasnt washed and ready for me to load when it was suoposed to be. So, I was 30 minutes late to the shipper. That ended up making 3 hours later getting loaded.

While loading, something broke on the trailer, so I had to go back to yard and fix it so I would be able to unload. Cost me another 4 hours.

After all that, it was late and I just slept on the yard, using a couple hours of my repair time toward a 10 hour break.

Hustled all day yesterday to get as far as possible as quickly as possible. Took my mandatory 30 minute break, ended up arriving 20 minutes late at the receiver.

20 minutes late meant another truck offloaded in front of me, and since the receiver was no longer obligated to get me unloaded in two hours, they went to lunch before unloading me. This kept me at the receiver 4 hours, ultimately cutting short my driving hours for today, which also means I will get back later tomorrow and not have enough hours to grab another short load and keep running.

30 minutes turned into several hours real quick, lol.

Trip started bad when trailer wasnt washed and ready for me to load when it was suoposed to be. So, I was 30 minutes late to the shipper. That ended up making 3 hours later getting loaded.

While loading, something broke on the trailer, so I had to go back to yard and fix it so I would be able to unload. Cost me another 4 hours.

After all that, it was late and I just slept on the yard, using a couple hours of my repair time toward a 10 hour break.

Hustled all day yesterday to get as far as possible as quickly as possible. Took my mandatory 30 minute break, ended up arriving 20 minutes late at the receiver.

20 minutes late meant another truck offloaded in front of me, and since the receiver was no longer obligated to get me unloaded in two hours, they went to lunch before unloading me. This kept me at the receiver 4 hours, ultimately cutting short my driving hours for today, which also means I will get back later tomorrow and not have enough hours to grab another short load and keep running.

Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug.:crash:

If you're home every weekend.....You can get a reset every weekend, as long as you understand when to start the 34 so that it works out right for the 168 rule.

It isn't complicated.

As @Tim said, You can always recap.

I wasn't necessarily the 30 min break that killed your trip.

If the trailer was clean when it was supposed to be, or if it was in good repair and didn't break all would've been good. Right?

I wasn't necessarily the 30 min break that killed your trip.

If the trailer was clean when it was supposed to be, or if it was in good repair and didn't break all would've been good. Right?
right. it was simply the final straw.

You can, kinda.
If you "take" a 2nd 34 you have to "void" your 1st 34.
The only way to void it is to count them days as 0 (zero) BUT to do that then you have to recap the hours on the week leading up to that 34 then recapping the hours up to the 34 you wanna count, if at any point you go over your 70 your screwed.

I thought this was the case. Still it makes me have to count more. And counting is hard. I may need help.

countvoncount.jpg

Now before you get them coming up with another ill conceived reg be honest it is your choice to drive into the night.

We got this 30 minute deal because drivers insisted they could not take breaks. Son't give them any ideas about making you drive "through the night" or we'll get a nappy time at sunset rule next:flame:

I want to sleep late and drive late. Wait a minute, I can do that now.

I do my recap every log every day. I alway know how many hours I have. Now days, I don't come close to my 70. I may, if I don't get home on Friday. I will use my recap and skip a week to get back on schedule.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom