roof wing or full fairing?

need some help here. just bought a 9400i w/mid pro sleeper 05 model. cat c15 engine is getting 5.2mpg at 64mph pulling a reefer. i would like to get to 6 if possible. would a ss wing on top deflect enough wind off the trailer that is sticking up over the cab or should i just go ahead and try to find a full fairing to put on top. i may not be pulling this reefer much longer and if i go to flatbed or tanker then i wouldn't need anything up there. anybody got any answers? i know a cat isn't gonna get the same mileage as a detroit but sure didn't think it was this bad. this truck was pulling a tanker before and the lifetime mpg was 5.97 according to the ecm. gotta figure that reefer is really catching a lot of wind up there. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

A fairing might give you the best airflow, over a wing. Also, getting the trailer as close as you can to the tractor without it hitting during turning will help.

And then there are those who claim that keeping your speed down under 65 will give you better mileage. I suppose.

That model of Cornbinder is kind of boxy, and not very aerodynamic, so any gains might be minimal.

Also, those add on aftermarket power boxes might help. Getting the optimal fuel curve can go a long way toward improving fuel economy.

Proper tire inflation, and low rolling resistance tires will probably do more for you than the wing will, but every little bit helps. I would think the full fairing is better, as Racer said, and it will leave less scars on your sleeper if you choose to remove it later as well.

yeah i figure the full fairing would be the best but man those things are ugly!! i tried the slow crawl deal today. took a 25,000 pound load from houston up to center, tx. put the cruise on 62mph. got 6.1 mpg. then took a 42000 pound load from center over to broken bow, ok. cruise set on 60 most of the way. only time i got above 63 was coasting down little hills. got a whopping 5.3mpg. this cat is set at 435hp; i wonder if it is struggling a little too much. don't you think if i turn it up close to 475 it would tote the load easier and consequently improve on the mileage some? i knew it was gonna be bad right away cause when i first came back out after getting the truck i had to dead head 200 miles with the empty trailer and it only got 6.4mpg with the cruise on 65 then. what kind of aftermarket box you talkin about racer? something like those bullydog computer things? and yeah big yellow it came with some caps that are not any good. i am gonna put a set of virgins on it pretty quick which should help a little. if i can do several small things and get an extra tenth or so each time maybe i can get it up enough to roll at a normal speed without going broke on fuel. by the way racer do you know anything about trimac transports bulk division? they have a terminal close to my home in bama and i thought about checking out what they have to offer. anyway thanks for the suggestions guys.

Terrylamar has a Cat in a Pete with an add on ecm deal, maybe he will step in here with his experience.

The thing is, the CAT engines are not known for their fuel economy. And heavier loads will cause the engine to use more fuel.

I hear the super singles are good for half a mile to the gallon in fuel economy improvement.

Also, what is the final drive gearing?

The Bullydog downloader is expensive. It can give you a return on your investment in as early as six months. Cat motors benifit the most from a horsepower increase than any other engine. Most will get .5 mpg to 1.0 mpg increase.

Other products with a quick RTI are:

Free flow muffler
Free flow air filter
Low rolling resistance tires.

The greatest and immediate thing you can do is improve your driving habits. Drive 57 mph to 60 mph. Progressively shift. Take your foot off the fuel pedal well before you get to your stop. Build speed before you get to a hill. Ease off the fuel as you crest the hill and let gravity help you build your speed back up on the downside.

I get solid 7's and even into the 8's for my mpg pulling a flatbed. A dry van properly set up can potentially get better.

I pay for my own fuel, fuel consuption is my greatest expense. By doing the above I save $20,000.00 per year over a driver who doesn't work hard at his fuel consuption. I loose no money by going slower, I don't loose loads. I get there with plenty of time to deliver or pickup my load. A driver who drives faster than me, does not get any more miles than I do. I might suggest, though hard to prove, that I get more miles. I stop less for fuel, I have less maintenace on my equipment. I still get in my 130,000 plus miles per year. My last couple of months with ATS I was delivering 1, 1.5 or 2 loads per week and was netting $4,000.000 to $5,000.00 per week. I will never believe a driver telling me driving faster will make me more money. In my experience, that is not even close to being true. There are those rare occaisions were driving a little faster we allow you to deliver a day early and to be able to get a reload and keep moving. Use your best judgement. My truck is governed at 127 mph, I rarely use it, but it is nice to have when needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread