Replacement Battery Co$t More Than Used Electric Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Birchy

A family in Florida drove into a major problem after buying a used electric vehicle: the replacement battery for their dead car wound up costing more than the used car was purchased for.

Avery Siwinski is a 17-year-old whose parents spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought, according to KVUE.

The teenager had the car for six months before it began giving her issues and the dashboard was flashing symbols.

"It was fine at first," Siwinski said. "I loved it so much. It was small and quiet and cute. And all the sudden it stopped working."

She told the news outlet that the car stopped running after taking it to a repair shop, and the family eventually found out that the car's battery would need to be replaced.

The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000, according to the news outlet.

There ways and places to get the batteries a lot cheaper
Im surprised they can't rebuild em..

When ya go to NAPA buy a new battery they charge ya $10 deposit until ya bring the old one back because they want the cores..

Then again that's a standard car battery not sure how that works in fully electric cars with giant batteries

When ya go to NAPA buy a new battery they charge ya $10 deposit until ya bring the old one back because they want the cores..

Then again that's a standard car battery not sure how that works in fully electric cars with giant batteries
There is a place in Oregun that rebuilds them. Still not exactly cheaply but not as bad as going to a dealer

There is a place in Oregun that rebuilds them. Still not exactly cheaply but not as bad as going to a dealer
How much would it cost this family in Florida to ship that battery perhaps the entire car to Oregon then back to Florida?

Last edited:
About $2000-$3000 each way, depending on the type of transport, for the entire car.
Welp there goes any $avings in a rebuild right down the drain..

I guess this family's only options is hope a similar car with same batteries wrecked or wore out some other way and scour the Junk Yards

Last edited:
I bet the people that sold the car a glad they unloaded it when they did.

It is very unfortunate for the family that bought the car though. Maybe they could find a good battery at a scrap yard where the car was written as a total loss by insurance but the battery is still good.

and yet, the left wanna push the green way to go.........assholes.

I bet the people that sold the car a glad they unloaded it when they did.

It is very unfortunate for the family that bought the car though. Maybe they could find a good battery at a scrap yard where the car was written as a total loss by insurance but the battery is still good.
It isn't an easy job to swap out the battery pack. They are large and the hich voltage can give you quite a jlot

Got this one used because I didn't want an EV but wife was really wanting it. Figured we get it and within a month I could sell it. That backfired of me turns out we both like it. Nissan Leaf. I know my man card is in danger

It isn't an easy job to swap out the battery pack. They are large and the hich voltage can give you quite a jlot
Yes I would imagine it would be a difficult job, Much like swapping out a combustion engine.
But with an Electric engine do you need a mechanic or an electrician?:laugh:

There ways and places to get the batteries a lot cheaper

$2-3k for a reman, and some labor on top of that.

That said, I wouldn’t be buying one of these at almost 10 years old unless I had a little mechanical knowledge.

If I did buy used, I would do my research and buy something a little more developed with this technology, like a Prius. Toyota had this we’ll figured out long before 2014.

Welp there goes any $avings in a rebuild right down the drain..

I guess this family's only options is hope a similar car with same batteries wrecked or wore out some other way and scour the Junk Yards
you can't just walk in and get tesla parts anywhere!!! in fact tesla can tell the car battery to shorten the range:eek:. one reason to tell musk to go **** himself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread