Prescription painkillers and trucking...

colohayhauler

Clutch Monkey
I've got a question. Obviously. Its come to my attention...my..friend, who has trucks, recently discovered that one of his drivers was taking tramadol on a regular basis for severe knee pain. My friend didn't know about it until today, and is concerned about any illegal repercussions it may have for whatever reason, the driver does have a prescription for it and is not abusing said drug. Thanks!! :)

What the owner of the motor carrier needs is a document from the driver's doctor that states the driver is able to perform the functions of the job unimpaired by the medications prescribed.

Some companies have a medication list. If a driver is on it you either stay home until you don't need it or get a doc to prescribe something else.

Not if the company's insurance says you can't take it and work.
Out of curiousness, I wonder how often a company is more strict than standard DOT regulations? Does this happen a lot?

Tramadol isn't exactly a drug of choice, lol.

If I could get a better definition of what tramadol is/does and what the side efffects are I could give a better answer.Anyone?

The problem is when a insurance company insures a company. Say a driver is taking a pain med at night time. It will stay in his system for a good while. Here comes a idiot 4 wheeler that causes a wreck. The first thing a big rig ambulance chasing lawyer wants to do is verify the drivers logs, see if there is any way they can hang him out to dry. He was on pain meds? Now we will sue the company and the driver. They don't give a flip about who caused the wreck, but now there is a 3 million dollar lawsuit aimed at the driver, company and the company that insures the driver and company.....
Out of curiousness, I wonder how often a company is more strict than standard DOT regulations? Does this happen a lot?

Tramadol isn't exactly a drug of choice, lol.

If I could get a better definition of what tramadol is/does and what the side efffects are I could give a better answer.Anyone?
I've heard it that it doesn't help much with moderate pain. Not sure what "schedule" it is rated.

The problem is when a insurance company insures a company. Say a driver is taking a pain med at night time. It will stay in his system for a good while. Here comes a idiot 4 wheeler that causes a wreck. The first thing a big rig ambulance chasing lawyer wants to do is verify the drivers logs, see if there is any way they can hang him out to dry. He was on pain meds? Now we will sue the company and the driver. They don't give a flip about who caused the wreck, but now there is a 3 million dollar lawsuit aimed at the driver, company and the company that insures the driver and company.....
I know, but even Tylenol is a pain med. Not a prescription one, but I doubt Tramadol being much more impairing. Sometimes over the counter stuff, like NyQuil and Tylenol PM, can be worse but no record of taking it.

script meds have opiats sp? that attach to the brain stem. The pain does not go away, but the brain thinks it did. It will take a couple weeks to get it out of your system.
I know, but even Tylenol is a pain med. Not a prescription one, but I doubt Tramadol being much more impairing. Sometimes over the counter stuff, like NyQuil and Tylenol PM, can be worse but no record of taking it.

Companies have their own list.

The DOT examiner usually know whats on the no driving list. The driver can get a statement from their doctor as to why they should be allowed to drive and that is usually acceptable if there is a question concerning non narcotic drug impairment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread