poor Fuel Economy and no power - 2000 Volvo

Road toad

Copper head i agree with you on the boost issue. I have a completely different issue I’m looking for some advise
I have a DDIV in a 2000 Volvo it is about 120000 on a create engine. 13 speed,3:48 rears 22.5 on supers. I had a Pittsburg tune and their turbo new charge air and as of last week a new exhaust manifold (stock) no other modifications.
Issues
1: poor fuel mileage 4.8
2: poor power
3: inconsistent performance

My question is can i put a ecm on this as a test and run the engine? And why did the engine builder require for me to send them my ecm ?
Thanks

Mike

Staff member
Did PP put your truck on a dyno after the tune to see what kind of power it was making?

Have these problems just started, or has it been this way since the engine was installed?

It’s a 2000 model truck, so 20+ years of potential problems due to things being worn out, so doubtful there will be any simple answers here.

One place I would be concerned about is the fuel lines. How old are they?

Given you have a PP tune, I would strongly consider getting the truck to them and letting them diagnose it.

Road toad

Did PP put your truck on a dyno after the tune to see what kind of power it was making?

Have these problems just started, or has it been this way since the engine was installed?

It’s a 2000 model truck, so 20+ years of potential problems due to things being worn out, so doubtful there will be any simple answers here.

Given you have a PP tune, I would strongly consider getting the truck to them and letting them diagnose it.
Yes they did a power run it was short then about 50 hp i found a few issues at that time but now i took it to a local shop and had a cylinder cut out test ran. It was bad on # 6 and not so well on a few others. So injectors have been ordered. My next question is about injector height it says 81mm but if i go lower will that help me in injection timing? Will that advance the spray? I know the older the engine the lower the height of the injector.

Road toad

Mike said:

Yes they did a power run it was short then about 50 hp i found a few issues at that time but now i took it to a local shop and had a cylinder cut out test ran. It was bad on # 6 and not so well on a few others. So injectors have been ordered. My next question is about injector height it says 81mm but if i go lower will that help me in injection timing? Will that advance the spray? I know the older the engine the lower the height of the injector.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
They are to far away for this old grey mare I’m in western Colorado. Ill stuff the injectors my self next week.
The deal is that you have custom engine work by PP - not by "Bob's truck repairs" in Parachute or wherever. You're essentially trashing for what you paid PP to do, and are starting over.

Road toad

Yes i agree with you. Ive called Eithan more than 4 times and i cant each him. I’m getting oil in my fuel and a miss on #6 and at 4 mpg getting this to PP may be out of the question. I like their shop and wish it was closer.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Have you sent in an oil sample for testing and done a clear line test on a return line?

Road toad

I think i have narrowed it down to bad injector i had a cylinder cut out test and the #6 is definitely toast. The engine has never performed well after the install it was a create engine. That’s why i went to PP in the first place. Fuel lines are original as far as i know. I ordered 6 new injectors so ill try this first.