Trucking Regulations: No defect DVIR rule that was enacted 3 years ago

corneileous

So uh, when did the FMCSA take this away? I was just informed by our office that we all the sudden have to go back to filling out a pre-trip form every day even if there’s no defects on our trucks. Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the whole purpose of that was to minimize the amount of unnecessary paperwork and that generally because it’s stupid to fill out a form of when nothings’s wrong with your equipment.

Swift also required it. Company I'm with now, they tried to require it. They get one at the end of a trip. If the trip goes one day, they get one. If the trip goes four days, they get one. So far, they haven't complained.

We do a DVIR on the Qualcomm at the end of our shift. It'd probably be end of a trip like Injun if we weren't slip seating, but I dunno.

We don't do any pretrip forms. Just get a message with the previous driver's DVIR to delete. I mean review.

A lot of companies still require it for legal purposes. Mainly in the case of a lawsuit . If a driver is regularly putting in a clean bill of health on truck then has an accident due to an unreported defect , they can try to shift blame on the driver .
Fact is company equipment in the end is the companies responsibility,in the end ( just like a good or bad economy is always belongs to a president essentially,despite the actions of others ) . But I imagine that in the end the driver winds up on some form of a blacklist .

To be clear the company can still require it (We do for some reason) even if Fed reg does not require it.
Yeah, that’s kind of a what I’m wondering because I can’t find anything anywhere on line where the FMCSA took away that new rule putting us back to wasting a bunch of paper and time but the funny thing is, I’m not sure if my boss actually went down there but he sent the new office people down to Dallas for some seminar thing about all that crap and they said the instructor guy said that the rule was changed. I mean, if this is just somethin’ the boss is wanting us to do from now on for his own reasons, I think he would just say so but he really is under the assumption that this rule had been changed back. I guess whatever, if they want extra paperwork to do, that’s fine by me. Lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread