Trucking Regulations: Drug test Fail 8 years ago.

rangerone

I just joined, 1/17/18
Not sure if this is the best forum for these questions, because I want the most eyes reading it. If it is not, please tell me which one would be.
About 8 years ago or so, I failed a random drug test while employed at a large, midwest Reef carrier and was fired....{ Side note, I am not a user, it was a stupid crazy week, and I just got caught up in the moment, so don't pass judgement on my mistake.}
Anyway about 3 months later I found another job with a tiny three truck company in VA, which did not care for or follow DOT regs. They never ran a background on me, but they did pull a 5 year MVR, AND his insurance company covered me....
A little over a year later, the DOT revoked his Authority, "had nothing to do with me".... Like I said, he did not care for DOT regs or paperwork.
I have not driven commercially since 2012.
In 2014, while living in VB, my lic was suspended for a year because of a refusal. I attended the court ordered ASAP class...{ My First and Only DUI Related Offense }
I was eligible for a restricted lic, provided I had a interlock device installed at my expense, and paid the $100 monthly fee for the 12 month duration. I decided not to, and took the 12 month lic suspension. And since 2014, I have not had a drivers lic at all,
# 1...While I was pulling for him was my CDL suspended/revoked with the failed drug test?
# 2... I ask, Because I had been pulled in to several coops for inspections, one in MD, on 95...one in CT on 84 and one in VA on 64, and not one DOT said my Lic had been suspended.
# 3...What is my next step on getting my CDL back.?
# 4...Will I have to retake my CDL test?
# 5...What are my realistic chances on getting another CDL job?
# 6... What is reported on my DAC, and how can I see or get a free copy of my DAC?
# 7...Two of the companies I worked for are out of business, Arrow being the other one, the other, " Central Reef was bought by Swift, which I know merged in to Knight, and the 4th, is Prime, which was where I ****ed up.
I look forward to reading any constructive advice you may have.

#1 probably.
#2 ......
#3 go to your dmv and find out for yourself whether your license is actually suspended and, if it is, why.
#4 If it's been suspended for that amount of time, you'll be starting all over from square one.
#5 If your license is current and valid, medical up to date and all other obligations are met, you may well be able to get work. It won't be easy to find, but it is possible to get a job.
#6 Somebody will come along with information on how to get your HireRight report. Depending on what circumstances your jobs ended under and whether the companies subscribed to HireRight, you might well have some negative entries.
#7 Central did not go out of business. The business was merged with Swift and all records became property of Swift Transportation. The merger with Knight was on the investor/financial end only for now. One of the Knight boys is CEO of Swift now, but it is still its own entity.

#1 probably.
#2 ......
#3 go to your dmv and find out for yourself whether your license is actually suspended and, if it is, why.
#4 If it's been suspended for that amount of time, you'll be starting all over from square one.
#5 If your license is current and valid, medical up to date and all other obligations are met, you may well be able to get work. It won't be easy to find, but it is possible to get a job.
#6 Somebody will come along with information on how to get your HireRight report. Depending on what circumstances your jobs ended under and whether the companies subscribed to HireRight, you might well have some negative entries.
#7 Central did not go out of business. The business was merged with Swift and all records became property of Swift Transportation. The merger with Knight was on the investor/financial end only for now. One of the Knight boys is CEO of Swift now, but it is still its own entity.
@Injun, @Mike

what's the possibility of making a sticky thread with a list of companies that are favorable to an SAP background.

as for the OP.....

What if I fail or refuse a test?

SAP List

Thats why I stay strictly boozy...

Within a 10 block "walking" distance of my house is 3 taverns , 1 full service Liquor Store, and a coupla gas station that sell beer

No reason to drive unless ya lazy ..

In the summer time I ride my Trek mountain bike..

Now as far as DOPE wlep that Mary Jane stays in your system for a month

Who revoked the license? They are the ones you should be asking these questions .... "what do I do now that I have served my time, to get my license reinstated??"

You failed a drug test at a consortium that is hired by the company. It does not mean that the place that tested you reported to the DMV (even though they are obligated to) ... there are lots of things consortiums do that they are not supposed to do. The DMV only takes notice if you have a failed Med Cert.

Now, if you have a good cert AND a failed cert (because a company wanted to do their own testing regardless of your current cert) that reporting doctor can fail you, report you, and the DMV say's "Hmmmmm, he still has a valid card"

It all depends on who reported what. Sometimes these companies would rather say "Sorry" than get involved in a huge, long and drawn-out lawsuit... that is, if you were the type of guy who went to an MRO and a good attorney and started some shiz.

As far as the scale-houses are concerned? Rarely do they look at your shiznit. They look at your truck. Digging into the currency of your licence or any other issues regarding that POS is a big PITA for them... and they are lazy, just like the rest of the world.

Right now, with freight rates at an all-time high (for this period) companies are spending all their money on recruiters. Why? Because they want to haul this freight, but it is a bit difficult to do when the truck is just sitting and has noone available to live in it... I mean "drive" it....

All the big companies are trying to jump on this freight... but they have a problem much bigger than yours: Filling empty trucks.

My advise: Go to your doctor and a good attorney. Get the physician to test you, give you a clean bill of health, get an attorney to scribble up a scary "if you do not hire" type of letter based on mistakes and discrimination, and if the DMV has nothing, get a NEW printout and get out there and try to get yourself a job.

Your situation is most certainly NOT unworkable. I mean, look at all of the companies that are hiring guys with DUI's that are only a few years old. Companies are looking for drivers, and they are "over-looking" with indisgression. It used to be that a DUI disqualified you for life, then it was 10 years, now I've seen it as low as 2 years.

Get busy with the organization that revoked your license in the first place and ask them what you need to do to get back in a truck. Simple, no?

All we have here in this forum are opinions, not facts... at least, not that I know of.. (myself included) .. I'm just attempting a bit of logic here.

He failed at Prime. That guarantees a DAC entry, but there won't be a DMV record of this. He failed a company random. DAC is operated under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, so if it's still out there, he can challenge it because of the age. The OP will have to list Prime as a previous employer.

There will be a record of the refused BAC test, and subsequent license suspension on his DMV.

Right now, there is a driver shortage - rates tell you that, and so do the unemployment numbers, so there's a better chance of getting a seat with a blemished record. The OP hasn't driven commercially for 6 years - that guarantees at least a refresher course before any reputable carrier will hire him. He had a DUI 4 years ago, and a failed random 8 years ago. That shows a history of poor judgement. The OP is going to have to get past this to get employed, plus shell out for training.

I wouldn't advise investing money at a CDL school without an invitation to orientation. It certainly wouldn't be a waste of time to try the training carriers.

The OP may have to get another year past the DUI.

He failed at Prime. That guarantees a DAC entry, but there won't be a DMV record of this. He failed a company random. DAC is operated under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, so if it's still out there, he can challenge it because of the age. The OP will have to list Prime as a previous employer.

There will be a record of the refused BAC test, and subsequent license suspension on his DMV.

Right now, there is a driver shortage - rates tell you that, and so do the unemployment numbers, so there's a better chance of getting a seat with a blemished record. The OP hasn't driven commercially for 6 years - that guarantees at least a refresher course before any reputable carrier will hire him. He had a DUI 4 years ago, and a failed random 8 years ago. That shows a history of poor judgement. The OP is going to have to get past this to get employed, plus shell out for training.

I wouldn't advise investing money at a CDL school without an invitation to orientation. It certainly wouldn't be a waste of time to try the training carriers.

The OP may have to get another year past the DUI.

i get a copy of my DAC every year. i request ALL information on me.

yes, there IS a cut off period, but i do believe it's only for employer information. at 7 years, they cannot provide anymore than the employers name.

now however, drug testing, refusals, and alcohol related information, is i do believe lifetime on a DAC

i ordered a new DAC on me, even though now, with retirement looming, i could GAF what it says. a gal from DAC actually called me to reaffirm what information i wanted, i said, "all you have on me"

and that call was just yesterday (Thursday Feb 1 st)..
when i get my new copy i will most certainly either confirm what i just said about lifetime regarding the alcohol/drug testing, or make a correction at that time. ut may take about 2 weeks (or less) for the new DAC to arrive.

so in his case, he's SOL if it is indeed a lifetime on his DAC

best thing to do for him, is get his own DAC here at

How Do I Request a Copy of My Background Report/File? | HireRight

or just go work at a smaller company?

A smaller company is still required by DOT regulations to do a due diligence investigation for the driver information file, and their insurance has to approve the OP for coverage. There's no free ride due to company size.

A smaller company is still required by DOT regulations to do a due diligence investigation for the driver information file, and their insurance has to approve the OP for coverage. There's no free ride due to company size.
yes, true. but many do not subscribe to DAC, so much information may/will not be known.

DUIs and refusals stay on a DMV license and criminal record permanently. A friend got a DUI almost 25 years ago. It's still on his record. He has never held a CDL.

If you guys think otherwise, try to enter Canada with a 30 year old DUI.

i get a copy of my DAC every year. i request ALL information on me.

yes, there IS a cut off period, but i do believe it's only for employer information. at 7 years, they cannot provide anymore than the employers name.

now however, drug testing, refusals, and alcohol related information, is i do believe lifetime on a DAC

i ordered a new DAC on me, even though now, with retirement looming, i could GAF what it says. a gal from DAC actually called me to reaffirm what information i wanted, i said, "all you have on me"

and that call was just yesterday (Thursday Feb 1 st)..
when i get my new copy i will most certainly either confirm what i just said about lifetime regarding the alcohol/drug testing, or make a correction at that time. ut may take about 2 weeks (or less) for the new DAC to arrive.

so in his case, he's SOL if it is indeed a lifetime on his DAC

best thing to do for him, is get his own DAC here at

How Do I Request a Copy of My Background Report/File? | HireRight

ok, in todays mail, i got all my DAC files.

there are companies no longer in business, so it just says something like, "company is no longer a participant"

then on other companies, it just says, "a period of 7 years has lapsed and no information can be provided"

then nearly every would be or actual employer, ran a criminal background check, AND a sexual offender search WAS conducted.

of course, all is clear there.

regarding drug and alcohol results, nothing mentioned, reason being that if an employer (or myself) wants THAT information, i/they MUST call DAC and obtain that.

which to me, is stupid, as i personally requested ALL information about me.

but i'd still have to call, but that's useless, as that would be clean and clear as well.

now, my DAC goes back to my first truck drivers license, back then it was not known as a CDL

the DMV report goes back to 2004 (they call this a quick DMV report). if an employer wanted or needed a lifetime DMV, they would have to call up THAT state's DMV on a driver, and get it, at additional costs.

it was "interesting" to see, that a NON-EMPLOYER was listed twice, Central Transport.

I NEVER worked for them.

i went on a trip with an o/o, who needed a driver. i did not like the truck, the run, the pay, so after our trip to Cleveland, OH and back i said, no thanks.

at first Central listed me as an o/o.... like WTF, i was on the phone for several days getting that removed, until a secratary in the office KNEW they do this to former employees, and SHE removed that entry.

the second DAC i have from Central Transport, shows that i was a driver.....

i was not even employed, so my rebuttal says so. but so much time has gone by, i could care less, as i nearer to retirement.

now i said that drug AND alcohol testing/refusals are for life, they must be, because EVERY EMPLOYER i have had, is ON file...

so to the o/p.....who said he had a refusal 8 years ago, that information is STILL THERE on you.......it will NOT go away.

of course, the o/p posted this back in January and has had only his ONE posting, i highly doubt he will be back for more information.

but i did promise to come back and relate my DAC files

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread