Freightliner New trucks are coming in

Tazz

Infidel
I will not get one, I have 2 2018 EVO's on my program now. But they are starting to test them.20170903_192909.jpg 20170903_192845.jpg
These have taller rears. Supposed to turn 1200 @65 Or there about they said. Guy has his stuff I it so I can not show you the inside but they worked on it too.

Last edited:
Yeah. As often as we replace them that may cost them in the long run. They want to try those compared to the 579 IQO(or whatever the hell it is) and the Kenworth T700.

Most of the Petes and KW's have Cummins and DD16 in the Shakers.

Only the new ones have them. The rest are DD15. And most of the old guys will not, repeat will not work the truck to make it pull.

The torque curve on these new trucks is like the 2000 Macks. Flat as he'll between 1000 and 1375 rpm. After that they fall like a rock.They want to make them scream trying to pull hills putting them at the weakest power the engine developes.

They just can not grasp that these will run fine at 950-1000 and pull.

Now they are not tuned as well as probably yours, or Mikes. But they are set for what we run and do OK for us.

I say 1200, might even be as low as 1150 now. They were 1300 back around the 2012 models, and greatly decreased the peak torque RPM after that.
Mine with 2:(something I do not remember) rears pulls 1350 @65. But they keep the ten speeds in these as they are fleet trucks. We could get lower with a 13 or the 12 autoshift.

The 2012 I drove was 1300. Just was weird.

I may be 630/2200. But that's also at 1800 rpm.

Yeah, it's still pretty flat and falls off at 1300, but still.

I'd expect the new trucks to rip hills up.

Mine with 2:(something I do not remember) rears pulls 1350 @65. But they keep the ten speeds in these as they are fleet trucks. We could get lower with a 13 or the 12 autoshift.

surprised they didn't go with the autoshifts. I would have if I were them. If my next truck has emissions, and is a freightliner, it will have one.

Yeah but I am averaging a little better than 8.2 for the last 8 weeks in these trucks. They are looking for a balance of power and fuel consumption.

My week last week was 6.8 mpg. I'm interested in seeing how the future goes with it as the engine breaks in.

This engine allows 700+ days easy.

The 579 I had had the 1,350/65mph ratio: 3.25 rears. My International had 3.58 rears and was at 1,450 at 65 mph.

I pulled a tanker with one, and it pulled amazingly well. The guy before me got it new, and had it turned up in Effingham, so it was putting out full power, full RPM, and full speed. I had a pic of my GPS clocking it in California doing either 104 or 108, can't remember for sure which number it was.

surprised they didn't go with the autoshifts. I would have if I were them. If my next truck has emissions, and is a freightliner, it will have one.
Still a 10k upcharge on those according to RMM. And looking at their tests the fleet actually stayed flat on fuel mileage compared to the standard shifts. So no upside for them.

When they start pricing the Detroit power train the same as what we run they will switch. Or so they said at a grassroots.

The 579 I had had the 1,350/65mph ratio: 3.25 rears. My International had 3.58 rears and was at 1,450 at 65 mph.
The number he through at us was 2 something. I am getting RPMs from teach on dash so it may be off. But the newer trucks are supposed to be 2:08 I think:confused-96:

I know they are looking for a cruise in the 1050-1100 range if they can get the drive line to hold up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread