New Member with a bazillion questions

Joe_Mac

Hello... I have a class 'A' CDL, taking a serious look at becoming a trucker. However, as with most newbies, I'm not sure what direction I should go. At the end of the day, I suppose, it all comes down to how much $$$ we can earn. Been doing a lot of research the last few weeks, and I've read many hundreds of comments, many...unfortunately, most of them have been negative to very negative: the majority seem to complain about lack of miles/low pay, managers/recruiters/dispatch lying to them, and lack of home time (which I wouldn't care about). I drove a semi (and loved it...truck was a new International with an Autoshift transmission) for 6 years, though not 'professionally'.. (we timed races...marathons, triathlons, etc) and I drove the equipment around the US. I did go to a driving school, and for what it's worth, I finished first in the class. Got a speeding ticket in my car 4.5 years ago. I'm a very healthy and reasonably fit non smoker, have a solid work ethic, am very responsible, can relocate to almost anywhere. I could ask dozens and dozens of questions, but for starters: would a company outright lie to me, and how can I tell if they did (as I know almost nothing about the industry)? Generally speaking, looking at the long term picture, where could a driver earn the most? OTR, regional, intermodal... any of these pay better than the others? I have read that some truck driving jobs offer over $150,000.00 per year..any truth to this that anyone knows? And I'm guessing that all companies are not the same? Any helpful info to get me pointed in the right direction, further reading, more research, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Ok I can only tell you bout my experience and others may have different input. To make big money, you would have to own equipment and do something that is really specialized like heavy haul or chemical tanker.

Now can you make 70 a year as a company driver...it is possible. I can tell you that TMC where I work is very honest and this is how it's going to be with their drivers. There is policy and it's enforced. That being said. I never sit. I typically deliver 5 loads a week and am home on the weekends unless I volunteer to run the weekend. There are good weeks and there are bad weeks. Just like any job.

Tanker seems to be best pay based on what I'm told and flatbed tends to pay better than van/refer freight does. I am on a performance based system and I am currently getting 31% of gross to my truck. That is reviewed through a points system on a monthly basis. I have potential to make 34% but this is still my first year.

I'm sure others will be along with way more experience than me. Welcome to the forum

Most of those $150,000 ads are really talking about gross pay to the leased/owner operator truck. It's not what you're gonna be paid as a salary.

Generally speaking, the easier the job is, the less you'll be paid for it. If it's harder to get into because no one ever quits, chances are it's because it pays well and has some skill or at least effort required ie the standards are a little higher.

Intermodal/local is considered "hard" because of the constant backing and tight maneuvering required. But it can pay well.

Fuel is considered "hard" because of the HAZMAT hazards and procedures and the sloshing of the liquids. But it can pay well.

Heavy haul is considered "hard" because of the sizes, weights, permits, and delays. But it can pay well.

Pulling a dry van full of taco shells down the road for 11 hours at a time? Not considered particularly hard. It won't pay as well. Unless you get seniority and the raises that hopefully come along with it.

I have read that some truck driving jobs offer over $150,000.00 per year..any truth to this that anyone knows?
images

1507520997508.jpg

You might see some advertised. They will include words like lease, business owner, independent.......

Those would be lies, you should laugh mockingly and run away.

Straight up you might if they count your experience find a job for 70k-80k. BUt I think your issue is going to be what you call experience most companies will not. I would put put feelers to see of anyone will say you are "experienced" because being an OTR tuck driver is a far cry from being a guy driving a truck around to events. The mechanics may be the same but the demands, knowledge of the industry, and winter driving may sink you.

Ok I can only tell you bout my experience and others may have different input. To make big money, you would have to own equipment and do something that is really specialized like heavy haul or chemical tanker.

Now can you make 70 a year as a company driver...it is possible. I can tell you that TMC where I work is very honest and this is how it's going to be with their drivers. There is policy and it's enforced. That being said. I never sit. I typically deliver 5 loads a week and am home on the weekends unless I volunteer to run the weekend. There are good weeks and there are bad weeks. Just like any job.

Tanker seems to be best pay based on what I'm told and flatbed tends to pay better than van/refer freight does. I am on a performance based system and I am currently getting 31% of gross to my truck. That is reviewed through a points system on a monthly basis. I have potential to make 34% but this is still my first year.

I'm sure others will be along with way more experience than me. Welcome to the forum

Many thanks for the reply and the solid information. I'm learning pretty much what you're telling me, that there are some opportunities as an O/O to make really good money in a specialized area. And the more work/effort a driver has to put in, the pay goes up. I'm sure that the trucking industry is like any industry anywhere: there are good companies, and not so good companies. And some are more responsible than others in terms of having policies, and enforcing them..going by the rules, they say, which is what I prefer. A key is getting solid, honest info about them so a person can make a good decision on where to go, what fits them best, etc. That's where the honesty factor comes in. I'm guessing that during the job search process, it would be good to talk to a company rep, and then talk to some drivers of that company (if possible)? Thanks again...Joe.

images

View attachment 42105

You might see some advertised. They will include words like lease, business owner, independent.......

Those would be lies, you should laugh mockingly and run away.

Straight up you might if they count your experience find a job for 70k-80k. BUt I think your issue is going to be what you call experience most companies will not. I would put put feelers to see of anyone will say you are "experienced" because being an OTR tuck driver is a far cry from being a guy driving a truck around to events. The mechanics may be the same but the demands, knowledge of the industry, and winter driving may sink you.

Totally agree with the experience factor: that's why I mentioned it (and I'm going to guess that the vast majority of companies wouldn't consider my experience when considering me for employment..it's not recent experience...not even sure I'd be considered a school graduate) And I understand any serious money is down the road, if it comes at all.

Most of those $150,000 ads are really talking about gross pay to the leased/owner operator truck. It's not what you're gonna be paid as a salary.

Generally speaking, the easier the job is, the less you'll be paid for it. If it's harder to get into because no one ever quits, chances are it's because it pays well and has some skill or at least effort required ie the standards are a little higher.

Intermodal/local is considered "hard" because of the constant backing and tight maneuvering required. But it can pay well.

Fuel is considered "hard" because of the HAZMAT hazards and procedures and the sloshing of the liquids. But it can pay well.

Heavy haul is considered "hard" because of the sizes, weights, permits, and delays. But it can pay well.

Pulling a dry van full of taco shells down the road for 11 hours at a time? Not considered particularly hard. It won't pay as well. Unless you get seniority and the raises that hopefully come along with it.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it..this is good info. I guess my next step would be to figure out what companies actually DO offer versus what the claim to offer...the more accurate info a person has, the better to make a good decision on where to apply. Any tips on getting the truth about a company? Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it..this is good info. I guess my next step would be to figure out what companies actually DO offer versus what the claim to offer...the more accurate info a person has, the better to make a good decision on where to apply. Any tips on getting the truth about a company? Thanks again for the reply.
I'd venture to say if you see advertisements everywhere saying how good they are, they aren't good.

The better jobs don't even have to advertise. They have waiting lists to get in.

On avg expect $40 thou gross for a couple years at the megas. Maybe check schneider tanker division. I dont think they haul gasoline???
Reefer is lots of over night driving. Dry van pays a little less the reefer but not much over night driving.

On avg expect $40 thou gross for a couple years at the megas. Maybe check schneider tanker division. I dont think they haul gasoline???
Reefer is lots of over night driving. Dry van pays a little less the reefer but not much over night driving.

Thanks for the info.

Do you think that one of the megas would be a good place to start for someone with my level of experience? I'm guessing that I'm going to be considered on the level of a new driver. Would be great to get a situation where I'm in a very good environment to learn the industry and get good experience... I know trucking seems easy, but there's a lot to learn.

Thanks for the info.

Do you think that one of the megas would be a good place to start for someone with my level of experience? I'm guessing that I'm going to be considered on the level of a new driver. Would be great to get a situation where I'm in a very good environment to learn the industry and get good experience... I know trucking seems easy, but there's a lot to learn.
Yeah, go with a mega and get your 2 years in and then go from there. Just dont pick the bottom feeders.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Pretty much everyone gets their start at a megacarrier these days.

The ones who train for CDLs may be the shittiest, but they're also the most forgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all who took the time to reply and offer their thoughts...it's been a big help, it really has. Still not sure what direction I'll be going, but my focus is starting to narrow. If anyone has any particular company that they'd recommend, and why they recommend them, that would be great to know. I'm wondering: is it appropriate/ok to call and talk with recruiters from various trucking companies to help develop a better picture of what's available out there, what might be a good fit? And one other thing....hometime is not an issue..I don't need much..at all. And I can relocate to almost anywhere in the US.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply and offer their thoughts...it's been a big help, it really has. Still not sure what direction I'll be going, but my focus is starting to narrow. If anyone has any particular company that they'd recommend, and why they recommend them, that would be great to know. I'm wondering: is it appropriate/ok to call and talk with recruiters from various trucking companies to help develop a better picture of what's available out there, what might be a good fit? And one other thing....hometime is not an issue..I don't need much..at all. And I can relocate to almost anywhere in the US.
Absolutely ok to call and make recruiters earn their pay.

Call a shit load of 'em........the more you ask, the more you know.

We got several mega carrier drivers on here, I'm sure they can give you some insight to their particular companies.

Dont let em talk you into leasing. They promise big bucks but in most cases it dont pan out for a new guy. Years ago I leased right out of school and almost went broke. There are some cases where a lease could work, on a good dedicated run. But solo otr lease not recomended.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread