Trucking News: New Delaware law permits use of truck height monitoring systems

Mike

Gov. John Carney has signed into law a bill that permits the state and local governments to install and use the vehicle height monitoring systems.

Previously SB131, the new law is patterned after Maryland’s vehicle height monitoring system for the city of Baltimore.
The Delaware Department of Transportation first is required to conduct an initial identification of potential locations for vehicle height monitoring systems, and an analysis of the worthiness for the systems at each location.

During a recent 10-year period, state DOT figures show the most likely locales for bridge strikes are the Casho Mill and North Chapel Street bridges in Newark. The two bridges account for nearly half of all bridge strikes in the state.

sounds like the same thing up in Boston when i go to my 2 stops, off I-93..i have to take a service road and before i go thru the tunnels. and when there is snow on the trailer, the electronic beams break, and set of the over head signs...at another point, there are chains hanging down from an over head gantry, that if they touch the trailer, they too set off the warnings.

naturally, i ignore that, and drive on thru the tunnels....

ain't been stopped yet, in all these years.

sounds like the same thing up in Boston when i go to my 2 stops, off I-93..i have to take a service road and before i go thru the tunnels. and when there is snow on the trailer, the electronic beams break, and set of the over head signs...at another point, there are chains hanging down from an over head gantry, that if they touch the trailer, they too set off the warnings.

naturally, i ignore that, and drive on thru the tunnels....

ain't been stopped yet, in all these years.
But you also ain’t hit anything either. Lol

I don't know..
Maybe rather than buy all this height laser equipment, Maybe make the ****ing bridges tall enough or dig down the asphalt and ground low enough for trucks to pass under safely

Okay I have what's probably a dumb question about oversized. Do you need a permit when you're over 13'6 or only when you're wide, long, & heavy?

IOW if you're not over 80k, you're not wider than 102", and you're a traditional 53' or less but you've got something extra tall on the deck do you need a height permit?

Okay I have what's probably a dumb question about oversized. Do you need a permit when you're over 13'6 or only when you're wide, long, & heavy?

IOW if you're not over 80k, you're not wider than 102", and you're a traditional 53' or less but you've got something extra tall on the deck do you need a height permit?
Depends on the state. Some states allow 14’ without permit and one state, Nebraska allows 14’6” without permit. But anything a state deems as wide, heavy, or tall needs to be permitted. And as far as I know all states the width permit starts at over 102”.

Depends on the state. Some states allow 14’ without permit and one state, Nebraska allows 14’6” without permit. But anything a state deems as wide, heavy, or tall needs to be permitted. And as far as I know all states the width permit starts at over 102”.
Okay so I'd have to look at each state I'm driving through and ask them what I need.

I'm sort of specifically thinking if I wanted to fetch a truck with a gooseneck. It would fit in every way except possibly height. And it might fit height wise if the roof fairing was non-existent or removed and the stacks taken off.

Okay so I'd have to look at each state I'm driving through and ask them what I need.

I'm sort of specifically thinking if I wanted to fetch a truck with a gooseneck. It would fit in every way except possibly height. And it might fit height wise if the roof fairing was non-existent or removed and the stacks taken off.
When you say truck with goose neck, that makes me think pick up, and the only thing that could be tall on a hot shot load is the load itself.

When you say truck with goose neck, that makes me think pick up, and the only thing that could be tall on a hot shot load is the load itself.
Yeah the truck's roof would potentially be half a foot (guesstimating) or so higher than the 13'6 standard once it's on the deck since almost no goosenecks are lowboy/RGN deck height.

The stacks would definitely have to come off, and if it had a roof fairing that would have to come off too or we'd be something like 16'6 high. I'm just wondering if you need a permit if you're say 14'2 or so.

Taking air out of the tires would certainly help some. Or take them off and set it on blocks.

Yeah the truck's roof would potentially be half a foot (guesstimating) or so higher than the 13'6 standard once it's on the deck since almost no goosenecks are lowboy/RGN deck height.

The stacks would definitely have to come off, and if it had a roof fairing that would have to come off too or we'd be something like 16'6 high. I'm just wondering if you need a permit if you're say 14'2 or so.

Taking air out of the tires would certainly help some. Or take them off and set it on blocks.
Ok, so you’re buying a pickup with roof fairing and stacks? It would have to be over 8’6” on a regular flat, like over 10’ on a step deck and over 11’6” on an rgn. That’s a tall got damned pickup. You doing hot shots with a lifted truck on 44” tires?

Ok, so you’re buying a pickup with roof fairing and stacks? It would have to be over 8’6” on a regular flat, like over 10’ on a step deck and over 11’6” on an rgn. That’s a tall got damned pickup. You doing hot shots with a lifted truck on 44” tires?
No I'm thinking about the potential to fetch a Peterbilt with the hotshot setup. A day cab falls under all the parameters except possibly height. They're about the same as a trailer with roof fairings (13'6) so it depends how tall the fairing itself is whether taking it off removes enough off the top to compensate for sitting on the deck.

Eg 13'6 minus 3'6 = 10" plus 3' deck = 13' = legal.

I don't know how tall fairings are or whether plane jane roof height is standardized the way width is.

One in particular I was looking at had no fairings at all so it's down to how tall the roof is and definitely taking off the stacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm thinking about the potential to fetch a Peterbilt with the hotshot setup. A day cab falls under all the parameters except possibly height. They're about the same as a trailer with roof fairings (13'6) so it depends how tall the fairing itself is whether taking it off removes enough off the top to compensate for sitting on the deck.

Eg 13'6 minus 3'6 = 10" plus 3' deck = 13' = legal.
Roger that. Would your setup be able to load 20-21k? I can’t say I have ever seen a hot shot set up for more that 16k

You can get a shorter trailer than weighs a little less but I'm into the 45' decks for maximum freight. Eg two Mahindras instead of just one. Take that cell tower component the next guy can't get etc etc.

The unladen weight IMHO isn't great enough between longer and shorter trailers to give up the potential.

You can get a shorter trailer than weighs a little less but I'm into the 45' decks for maximum freight. Eg two Mahindras instead of just one. Take that cell tower component the next guy can't get etc etc.

The unladen weight IMHO isn't great enough between longer and shorter trailers to give up the potential.
Cell tower shit sucks to haul. Just an FYI lol. Might be a good idea to get a 4x4 1 ton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread