My Experience With Celadon

Grinder

I decided to go with Celadon. Here is what is happening so far. Orientation is supposed to last 3 days.

There are rooms provided at the terminal in Indy. They look small, and it is 2 to a room. What they are like inside, I dont know. You also have a choice of getting a hotel room if you want a room to yourself. You get $150 orientation pay, and an option of a $100 advance to get you started after orientation.

If you want the motel room they will provide it for free if they have no dorm rooms available, or you can have the money taken out of orientation pay (they give you a voucher), or you can pay for it yourself.
The Knights Inn at the 465 x4 down by the J. It is not worth the $50 per night, imo. They do have wifi access in some rooms and you have to ask for it.

There is also internet access at the terminal, but I havent hooked into it yet.

Orientation starts at 7am. all meals are provided in their cafeteria. The food is OK. No complaints, it's all free.

Day 1 is physicals and drug screens 1st thing in the AM, on site, and road tests afterward.

There is a little paperwork, but so far everything is already filled out for you, you just sign and date after you verify their info. That is nice.
There is also a joke (IMO) of a hazmat test.

From what I have seen of their terminal, it's nice. They do take care of the equipment. Driver facilities are nice. Roomy showers, cafeteria, game room, 2 TVs with cable, laundry, 4 computers w/ internet, 2 coffee pots, and probably other things I haven't seen yet.

Everyone there seems OK so far. No obvious problems with the corporate culture yet.

On the down side: Drug screens and physicals took way too long. There was too much dead time. If there is a good reason to have to wait 2+ hours to **** in a cup, I haven't come up with it.

orientation sucks, no matter where you are. :)

Good luck with the job at Celadon once you get through all the orientation nonsense. From what I have seen regarding their company, it seems like a decent place to work. The look pretty flexible in regards to hometime, depending on your needs there.

Tell me about it... I dont see how the job hoppers do it.

Just talking to drivers away from the corporate types, they like the company.

I'd like to not make this a "I picked up here and delivered there, did this, that, and the other" kind of diary, but just unbiased info of the kind I was not able to find on some companies I was interested in. It's my duty to posterior ;)

You will get to know Laredo, TX very well, I am sure. Celadon hauls a ton of Mexico freight, and unless things have changed, I am pretty sure they have a Mexican division of drivers (I remember I used to see a Mexico Flag on some of their trucks).

Been years since I have driven in the Laredo area, but back when I did, the area was swarming with Celadon trucks. A whole lot of I-35 corridor driving.

Why do some people not have the ability to KTFMS? In other words, STFU?
I swear, in every group of people there is a vocal minority that will constantly ask stupid questions. For crying out loud, this company hires experienced drivers, and some were asking basic questions that they should have learned in school. If I was in charge, I'd have kicked them out.

Seriously, no one wants to spend 1 extra minute in orientation. If I was in charge that is what I would say to everyone. These idiots waste time. They are time thieves. They should just go away for the benefit of the sane people in the room so everyone can get out and make some $$$ ASAP!

The plusses:
They have what sounds like a great health program with nurses on staff. This could be why we had to wait 2+ hrs to take the drug test. The nurses were busy with exams.
Exams are free. THere is a blood test that is also free.

Free financial info and advise. It doesnt have to involve Celadons stocks, etc. How good that advise is, I dont know. But anyone that recommends "buy" has questionable judgement, imo.

There is no seniority or playing favorites when being dispatched. It is all done by computer.

The negatives:
You have to be willing to go to Canada
Only pay 1/2 for Idleair
Idle < 40% governed at 65
Idle > 40% governed at 63
Governed speeds reset after refueling.

I found out from the CEO that Idleair is going bankrupt but will restructure. That may be common knowledge but I didnt know that. I never bothered using it.

Trucks are in short supply. The last weeks class still has some that have not received trucks yet. So I will probably have to wait too.

One told me he was asked to take a bus to sacramento to pick up a truck. He told them no. They better not ask me the same question and not expect me to say no too.

I must be livin' right. I got a new 2009 Prostar. I didnt have to wait. The truck is nice.
They are all going to be this model in the near future. There is plenty of storage, even if you drive teams.

Detention pay is automatic. If you wait beyond 2 hrs of your appt time, you get paid for it. IIRC it is $20/hr, but dont quote me on that.

They have the new touch-screen qualcomm. I like it. There is a remote mounted on the dash to where you can get the messages read to you thru the speakers. The audio can also be turned off if it gets on your nerves.

I have only been on 3 loads, so all I can say is that all is good so far. They have trip pack scanning, and that does save some hassle, IMO. Pay is 1x per week. They use comdata. Get your paperwork scanned in by tue midnite and get paid friday.

There is also a $100 advance put on your card every Sunday midnite. It's there whether you need it or not. But it does not add up if you dont take it (obviously...)

They tried to get me to go to Canada, but unfortunately ;) I didnt have my birth certificate. It's a crying shame... I am so disappointed...

That is about all I can say, for now. Any questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to answer them the best I can. Just keep in mind that I am new here and dont know all, yet.

If it keeps up like this, I might retire with them.

Sounds good. I just went through a 5 minute orientation that took much less time than a pee test. I started with Indian River Transport/North American Tank Lines today, and after my pee test results are in on Friday, I'll get into the 08 Peterbilt and start rolling.

I thought having some time off would be cool, but after the first day, I've been going nuts...add 10 more days and a 38 hr bus ride and I was ready to kill something.

Good luck at Celadon, I've heard good things about them - I chose Indian River because I went back to driving solo, and they go right by my house, my oldest son's (and daughter's) in Ok City, and my youngest son (and grandson's) in PA.

I must be livin' right. I got a new 2009 Prostar. I didnt have to wait. The truck is nice.
They are all going to be this model in the near future. There is plenty of storage, even if you drive teams.

Detention pay is automatic. If you wait beyond 2 hrs of your appt time, you get paid for it. IIRC it is $20/hr, but dont quote me on that.

They have the new touch-screen qualcomm. I like it. There is a remote mounted on the dash to where you can get the messages read to you thru the speakers. The audio can also be turned off if it gets on your nerves.

I have only been on 3 loads, so all I can say is that all is good so far. They have trip pack scanning, and that does save some hassle, IMO. Pay is 1x per week. They use comdata. Get your paperwork scanned in by tue midnite and get paid friday.

There is also a $100 advance put on your card every Sunday midnite. It's there whether you need it or not. But it does not add up if you dont take it (obviously...)

They tried to get me to go to Canada, but unfortunately ;) I didnt have my birth certificate. It's a crying shame... I am so disappointed...

That is about all I can say, for now. Any questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to answer them the best I can. Just keep in mind that I am new here and dont know all, yet.

If it keeps up like this, I might retire with them.
sounds like it's good for ya, good-luck.
Canada is nice this time of year, and hey at least u can drink the water....lol

Sorry, but there is NO requirement that a Driver be able to go into Canada at most Companies.
Celadon has A LOT OF DRIVERS that will not nor are able to go into Canada, therefore the requirement is not relevant.
YOU DO NOT have to go to Canada if You do not want to do such, nor can ANY Company force it upon You with threats.
Forced Dispatch has been and will continue to be challenged.

I have driven for Companies that "claim" forced dispatch and I have refused loads without negative actions.

I have talked to quite MANY Celadon Drivers that the home office of Celadon is the WORST PLACE to be stuck at especially for repairs of Trucks. They seem to be the most INCOMPETENT group of "mechanics" of any Trucking Company. The "dispatchers" might be able to help You when they can remember what they're doing before they clock out, otherwise You're screwed.
The Dispatchers seem to be a group of Lobotomized Monkeys that are only there for a paycheck and could care less about You the Driver.

The Load Planner seemingly gives out Loads to his preferred Groups and if You're not in them, oh wail.
---
The Celadon yard in Laredo is located on FM 1472 (Mines Rd.), West of I-35 at exit eight. It is a combination yard in that there are other Companies using it and it is next door to a separate J. B. Hunt yard. There is a stop light at the entrance for the J. B. Hunt yard which is PAST the Celadon yard on the right hand side of Mines Rd.

Celadon also has a Facility with Dispatch and a Maintenance Shop in Greenboro, NC. The shop is closed on the Weekends.
There is a yard at Waxahatchie, TX., and in Nashville, TN., as well as Richmond, VA.

The ONLY two places for Dispatch anymore are Indy and Greensboro.
Nashville and Wax Dispatch were removed earlier this year.
Laredo takes care of Laredo and they're not too bright either.
If You arrive at Laredo on a Friday, expect to be there on Monday or Tuesday DESPITE the seemingly vast amount of Trailers.
---
There is a NEW T. A. and Flying J at exit 13 on I-35 across from the toilet of the Pilot. They ALL charge to park unless one either gets Fuel or spends $20.00. The first 2 hours of course are free. There is IdleAire and Burger King on the T. A. site.
It is difficult to miss, however there are Drivers that blow past it.

Flying J at exit 13 on I-35 across from the toilet of the Pilot. They ALL charge to park unless one either gets Fuel or spends $20.00

Are you sure about that? I was bobtailing there and didnt see any sign of being charged to park at the J. No gates that I saw.

Also, so far I have had no problem getting out of Laredo. But I know that can change.

A few things.
1) They dont seem to really care about bobtailing anywhere. Just so common sense is used. No one has ever said "dont bobtail".

2) They dont really preplan loads. I wish they would. I hate to go to a truckstop to sit, and then have to go back in another direction to pick up a load.

There seems to be an unusual amount of bitching and complaining about the company from other drivers. Rumors are floating around. I havent seen any reason for that, yet. Personally I think it is the slow economy and drivers that just arent happy unless they are bitching about something. Finding the Perfect Company is like finding the Perfect Tackle Box. It doesnt exist.

Correction:
Governed speed resets Sat at midnite, not after refueling like I said earlier.

Where is the celadon yard in greensboro? I've never seen it.

I'm almost certain it is at the I-85 / Groometown Rd. junction (exit 120). This would be directly across the street from the Overnite/UPS Freight terminal. There have only been eleventeen trucking companies in that terminal. The last brand name was Highway SomethingortheOther...

two-timer (2XR) is correct with the location of the Greensboro yard and it is on the SOUTH SIDE of I-85. There is a Citgo on the North Side of I-85.
The previous company was Highway Express. The closest allowed Company fuel stop for Celadumb drivers is the Trash America at X 138 on I-85/40.
---
The Trash America at x 13 in Laredo charges for parking unless one fuels or spends money in the small building.
---
The drivers that are bitching and complaining are most likely the MOST USELESS drivers that Celadumb has miserably hired for unknown reasons except to warm a seat, rather like blow job hunt. These are the drivers that will either REFUSE LOADS (becuz I don't wanna go there :() or will deliver consistently LATE then be overlooked for good runs wherein the bitching and complaining begins or continues. These LOSERS will never be happy at ANY company yet Celadumb will coddle them until they get too big for their britches.
Celadumb USED TO BE NUMBER 1 over all other Trucking Companies (# 1 in the top ten list for ON TIME deliveries), yet with their consistency for hiring rejects of swift, schneider, stevens, bj hunt, etc...their rating for ON TIME DELIVERIES has fallen and WILL CONTINUE TO FALL because they as well hire TEAMS that drive like SOLOS and fail to get delivered ON TIME.
There are a few SOLO drivers that can run circles around a lot of the TEAM drivers and that is sad in and of itself at ANY company.
Indy simply doesn't give a shit and one will find this out when one has to have some repairs done to ones truck there.
There have been many drivers stuck in Indy for a WEEK+ because of the incompetence of the parts changers hired to impersonate mechanics/technicians.

Best of luck with your gig at Celadumb.:broken::banghead:

The drivers that are bitching and complaining are most likely the MOST USELESS drivers that Celadumb has miserably hired for unknown reasons except to warm a seat, rather like blow job hunt. These are the drivers that will either REFUSE LOADS (becuz I don't wanna go there :() or will deliver consistently LATE then be overlooked for good runs wherein the bitching and complaining begins or continues. These LOSERS will never be happy at ANY company yet Celadumb will coddle them until they get too big for their britches.

That is what I dont understand. Why hire, or retain, drivers that are constantly late or refuse loads? It's not just celadon. It's like these companies get so big that they become unmanageable. Take out the trash, hire the good drivers, and pay them better because you know they will do their jobs well. Simple, right? Now it seems that one company is interchangable with any other company. Is there a difference anymore?

So far, I have not had any problems with them. I dreaded going to Laredo, but I get right back out again. They fuel at the pilot, and we all know about the trains that block the road there :pissed:. I see a train blocking it and I go to San Antonio instead. Screw that.

The miles are good. The pay is not that great, but I run solo. That is my major bitch with them so far. We'll see what happens when it comes to getting service.

I've had it with teams. I got along with co-drivers OK, but sometimes I just want to crank up some Ozzy or something and not worry about waking him up.

Well, things are turning to sh@#. I get called in by dispatch after I got back from hometime. They are complaining about my idling. Never mind that I spent time in TX, FL, I10 in general, etc. Just never mind that. Never mind having to sit in Wax for 3 days, Laredo for almost 2 days, and while the last hurricane came ashore between me and my last drop and I had 4000 in the box I sat for 2. No way I was going to chance that, so I waited it out. FL was just a bad area at a bad time, not Celadons fault, and not mine either.

They are firing people due to idling at what they consider "too high" a percentage.
I don't care. I was looking for a job when they hired me. I don't mind leaving the same way.

I told my dispatcher she could fire me right now, if she wanted to, and that I will give up my AC when she does. I know she is not responsible for having to talk to me and many others on her board, but she was there and so was I, so I told her.

We'll see what happens. But now is the time to start looking at another carrier because I am not going to put up with that crap, period.

But right now, from what I am seeing, I dont recommend Celadon to anyone.

Just getting out of Fl. with a load of any kind would be lucky. Tx. is pretty bad too. My hubby sit's at least 2 days when he del. Tx.
Fl. going to NO IDLING law, So now they all fall in.
But Oh Well don't look too me like anyone really cares!
So just stay pissed off and do nothing! Sweat your Butt's off in the summer and freeze them off in the winter!

They are, imo trying to force fleet owners to install APUs. Fleets that will not, will lose drivers by the bushel.

There is no good reason not to install these APUs. At least none that I can think of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread