ISX15 fuel issue

Skman

Hi all. I'm having a code pop up that I can't pinpoint. I bought this truck about 1.5 years ago.
2013 Kenworth w900 isx15 2250...deleted few years ago before I bought it. About 9 months after I bought it...I had to do a rebuild. Did out of frame full rebuild because of structure leaks. Replaced all injectors, CAC, rad, did update to high pressure fuel pump, and lots more. Truck has run pretty great since then (about 200,000KM). Pulling B train oil tankers.
Here's my new problem.
Getting a Check Engine light and code on the Road Relay screen. It happens when on an incline under load (or on level ground and I put my foot into it) and when I level off...it goes away.
The pyro will go up to 900-1000 (but will go higher if you don't take foot off fuel) and I get this code with CEL:
  • PID 157 ENGINE CONTROLLER INJ METERING RAIL PREESURE RESERVED
Also, seems like it derates while that CEL is on. Once I let off the throttle and CEL goes out...it runs great til the next hill.
I've changed the fuel/water filter and engine fuel filter and air filters. Also I changed the exhaust gas pressure because that had thrown a code a few times before this code ever started. Once this new code showed up...the gas sensor code stopped but I changed it hoping that was the culprit. But no luck.
Also found an o-ring leaking on the back of the fuel pump...which was replaced. The turbo was also just changed (was starting to stick). None of these things helped. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it back on the computer to see if they can figure this out. But I don't want them throwing my money blindly at parts for no reason.
Anybody ever see this issue before? Truck starts great and idles nice....only problem is highway speed load up inclines.

To test this yourself you need a slew of Cummins special tools and insite to run the ecm in different test modes.

Causes plugged fuel filters, leaking transfer tubes leaking injectors, bad PLV or a bad fuel pump. It’s almost never the fuel pump though.

Thanks for the reply. I took it into a local shop because they've got the tools. After 6 hours they still weren't sure lol. He said they pressured up and it was bleeding off. He said it was pointing to the high pressure fuel pump but they had a couple more things to check

To test this yourself you need a slew of Cummins special tools and insite to run the ecm in different test modes.

Causes plugged fuel filters, leaking transfer tubes leaking injectors, bad PLV or a bad fuel pump. It’s almost never the fuel pump though.

I know they did try another fuel rail pressure relief valve but it didn't help. I had a new set of injectors put in when I did the rebuild about a year ago but hopefully they're testing those also. Fuel pump is the updated version with the steel plungers.

I know they did try another fuel rail pressure relief valve but it didn't help. I had a new set of injectors put in when I did the rebuild about a year ago but hopefully they're testing those also. Fuel pump is the updated version with the steel plungers.
My bet is it’s in the transfer tubes to the injectors, did they put a new set in with the new injectors?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread