Is Fuel Performance at the Peek ? Or is there something Better ?

Recently small diesels are reporting 100 mile per gallon status . . . but then Volkswagons goes and gets in trouble with their emissions scandal . . . .

do you think 100 miles per gallon is possible in the commercial arena ?

I think it is.

I did some conversions to show the fallacy of these 100 mpg claims. Diesel fuel has an energy density of 139000 BTU/gal. We'll assume 2 hours to do 100 miles, so 50 mph average. So 69500 BTU/Hr = 20368 Watts = 27.3 HP to move a loaded truck down the road. And that is converting every drop of fuel to work. Even the most efficient diesels (in ships) are at 50% efficiency, so cut that HP in half to 13.6 HP. Peeking at the chart below:

member-diesel_dave-albums-other-picture4144-a.png

UMMMMMM..... does not compute!:headscratch2::headscratch2::coocoo::coocoo:

:D

You don't have to delve deep into physics to disprove these ideas. It's simple thermodynamics, there's not enough energy in the amount of fuel they're claiming to burn to provide the average energy needed to move a truck down the road at highway speeds. It doesn't matter how efficient your regenerative systems are when you can't meet the average power output needed to maintain speed.
Actually the guy said he's using a 3 liter diesel to initiate a larger system. Probably to get some kind of wind turbine thing spinning.

They can tow cargo freighters across the ocean with kites, so the potential is there.

But he says it has 4500 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels..

So I'm assuming that if this thing even exists outside his imagination, the wind turbine is so large that his pilot car's height pole is required to have strobe lights on top so airplanes don't hit it.

And that makes this contraption extremely practical for hauling freight...

There's no Albert Hoffman involved here . . . my lab is full of young grad's that I mentor for years in advance of their invitation to join the group.
and someone mentioned CARB . . . Calif Air Resources Board . . . not a problem . . . the tech is smog legal . . . will pass all federal and state required smog tests . . . including California's Smog for Clean Diesel . . . with the use of DEF . . . passing smog a test is a no brainer . . . and holy cow . . . is this thing quiet.
you guys are funny with the wind turbine talk . . . and that pic . . . but I've been a Cat Master since 92, starting my engineering in the US Navy . . . worked American, Grove, Skiggit, Manotowoc, Marion Cranes and a vast array of earth movers (D11, 657 all the big stuff)
Know portable electricity like a priest at Catholic Hill(lookitupon60minutes) . . . . and my experience with electric motors . . . . move water at 160,000 gpm . . . . and then walk in my shoes . . . beside the little I have said . . . . move 3300 tons even 1 inch . . . .and you become a man amongst men . . . . I did it 5 years in the US Navy as Enginemen . . . Marine Diesel for anyone not informed . . . are the breed above . . . if they break . . . . YOU DIE . . .

I really did built this thing(my team and I) . . . and took apart a brand new dodge just a couple of weeks since purchased to do it . . . the rest is test equipment off the shelf inside my building . . .

load description : test blocks for cranes . . . weights and measure stamped . . .the 40 tons gross is ligit.

I did some conversions to show the fallacy of these 100 mpg claims. Diesel fuel has an energy density of 139000 BTU/gal. We'll assume 2 hours to do 100 miles, so 50 mph average. So 69500 BTU/Hr = 20368 Watts = 27.3 HP to move a loaded truck down the road. And that is converting every drop of fuel to work. Even the most efficient diesels (in ships) are at 50% efficiency, so cut that HP in half to 13.6 HP. Peeking at the chart below:

member-diesel_dave-albums-other-picture4144-a.png

UMMMMMM..... does not compute!:headscratch2::headscratch2::coocoo::coocoo:

:D

O . . . . I love you. . . . you made my point with specific great detail . . . THAT COMBUSTION ENGINES REALLY ARE IN-EFFICIENT . . . .
now try it again with a 70,000 ton train on rails . . . and the chart you offer isn't in the proper scale (1,000 rpm is common, or take the 45000 horse BMW marine engine also 1,000 RPM) . . . because we are dealing with a diesel electric plant . . . forward traction tech is an evolution of rail tech from before the 50s . . .and still quite dominant . . . as propulsion . . . . but . . . I took this OTR equipment a step further . . . and created a system that runs 40 hours sipping tea spoonfuls at 1200 rpm while keeping operating temperature calm enough to run forever . . . able keep the cab warm, and/or the air conditioning if needed . . . . and all the while . . . A STORM OF BRUTE FORCE . . . . pushes tonnage across the pavement . . . here's another branch of knowledge . . . Kaiser Hospitals . . . run these genius little co-generators(GM 454) . . . for refrigeration and electricity, etc . . . and you will also find them where ever there's a public swimming pool . . . to heat water . . . . run on natural gas . . . been in operation since the 70's I think . . . in Australia similarly in the outback to supply electricity . . . diesel electric is quite a phenom' . . . . and then someone comes along a gives me a diesel engine that gets 30 miles to the gallon direct drive . . . and the size of a tiny match box . . . sorry gentlemen . . . I had to take it apart and see what's really possible . . . what resulted . . . was parts of my Aileron 1 project (Drone Tech) with very high efficiency electric hardware coupled to a really great EcoDiesel product came together . . . and a blister of innovation happen inside my building . . . we drove it around . . . with a 9 speed drive line manufactured in 2000 . . . . came back to the building landed a trailer forked on a couple units of certified concrete test blocks and
took out for another ride . . . . airbrakes functioned properly . . . all the lighting functioned properly . . . so we did some freeway speeds . . . out on 880 in Northern California in 10 am traffic . . . and on 101 . . . . and then took it out to highway 280 . . . and put the hammer down a little (wing wing) . . . nothing dangerous . . .. and
then I asked if anyone wanted to go to New York before christmas . . . 40 hands went up . . . two with class A licenses . . . and they should be back today or tomorrow . . . they haven't had a breakdown to speak of . . . unheard of ! when talking prototypes.
And we know the system will run 40 straight hours because what it took to empty a 30 gallon fillup . . . I don't where the gauge was but they filled up at 40 hours of operation. with the trip already crossing the halfway threshold inside of Rhode Island and back across the Mississippi . . . . that's efficient.

Wow.......You ...... sound like you really........Have something there.....................................

I'm not kidding anyone . . . the system really works well . . . I have had several High dollar people already approach me . . . they all know what goes on in my building . . . we don't do toys . . . my neighbors are public entities with one exception the one spook entity . . .

I built a fusion powered space ship .... and went to Mars & back ..... in three days ... on one gallon of fuel ... and it runs on distilled water ... I was able to refuel it by melting Mars' polar ice ... two of my students who happened to have commercial astronauts' licenses are currently on their way back from Saturn's moon Titan ... hauling a 20 ton load of certified test meteorites ... they refueled by melting some ice from Saturn's rings ... and the air brakes are working too...

I built a fusion powered space ship .... and went to Mars & back ..... in three days ... on one gallon of fuel ... and it runs on distilled water ... I was able to refuel it by melting Mars' polar ice ... two of my students who happened to have commercial astronauts' licenses are currently on their way back from Saturn's moon Titan ... hauling a 20 ton load of certified test meteorites ... they refueled by melting some ice from Saturn's rings ... and the air brakes are working too...
Alot of laughter surrounds some of my mentors . . . giggle giggle as say the historians . . . but you all use it today . . .

I think I will see 15mpg in my lifetime. As technology progresses, I could see a cap as high as 20.

Biggest problem now is the pursuit of zero emissions. This is killing the pursuit of fuel economy.

We have potentially great engines being built now, engines that could easily be in the 10+ range already if the emissions were removed.

I think I will see 15mpg in my lifetime. As technology progresses, I could see a cap as high as 20.

Biggest problem now is the pursuit of zero emissions. This is killing the pursuit of fuel economy.

We have potentially great engines being built now, engines that could easily be in the 10+ range already if the emissions were removed.

'tis a fair step from 10mpg to 100mpg

I had a guy who couldn't spell "Cristien" (sic) tell me he had a PhD in Theology. I'm don't claim to be a Christian, but I can quote Biblical passages and reference them as well as (or better than) this purported PhD.

My point is, claims of education levels and experience don't impress most of us much. Ol' @Hammer166 might be some trucker on an internet forum, but I've "known" him for almost seven years. He knows what he's talking about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread