Intermodal vs Trailer

SFCAV

What's are some advantages over pulling cans from the port to driving a trailer? I hear you can make more money pulling trailers over containers, how?

Move the truck about 50 feet. The trailer gets a twist in it if you're on un-level ground & the door opening will be skewed a little & the latches won't wanta line up.

Or just run up & jump-kick the latch handle. I've done that a few times but I wouldn't advise you to do it in an icy parking lot.
Or pull something that's not a Utility.

Yep:)

But I am company. Pay is about the same, aggravation is about the same, like the song says "Hello to the new boss same as the old boss."

I will say from the stuff I have been looking into if your gonna go van do it with someone on percentage. Landstar, Mercer, and Schnieder have programs. @Mike can comment on the Punkin stuff, and @Tominator can talk about Landstar.

@Injun and @RACEFAN seem to be doing well with Swift. I'll let them describe their programs.

Not everyone is the same, difference perferences for different people, It is all about what makes you happy doing, that is most important. As for my experience at landstar, I am pulling a dry van, I am free, I go where I want when I want and at this point my rep is good enough I can demand more money for loads in negotiations, have done well enough I am getting a brand new truck in May with either a 120 or 144 inch ARI sleeper plus buying my own wagon for the extra income in % pay, yes it can be done, and I am doing it. any one who puts there mind to it can do it but you most certainly have to learn some business smarts or you will sink, have emergency resources you can tap because you will have to, these trucks break down at the most inconvenit times. be prepared or sink

Lol thanks guys, but besides the fact that both have their ups and downs, is there someone on her that has seen both sides of the fence?

I have done both. As a driver only and not an owner. I made way, I mean way more money hauling cans. My set up may have been different. The hauls where short the shorter the better. Boom! Boom! one can off and one can off. Unless you had doubles Two cans off and two on. $50 per can, Ka Ching! Turn four pins and go!

I did get mileage for out of town but I could make more in town. Cans are all drop and hook.
Now would I pull cans in the present day of trucking? Not on your life. A totally different breed, A totally different of ( oh how do I put it? people with not the same culture?)

I have done both. As a driver only and not an owner. I made way, I mean way more money hauling cans. My set up may have been different. The hauls where short the shorter the better. Boom! Boom! one can off and one can off. Unless you had doubles Two cans off and two on. $50 per can, Ka Ching! Turn four pins and go!

I did get mileage for out of town but I could make more in town. Cans are all drop and hook.
Now would I pull cans in the present day of trucking? Not on your life. A totally different breed, A totally different of ( oh how do I put it? people with not the same culture?)

Thanks a lot @rigjockey , I know what you mean by pop locking those cans on short runs. That's all I was doing when I first started. One night I pulled 7 cans loaded and 3 empties in one night(PM Shift). I was in and I out! Sad to say the atmosphere in there sucks balls! Fighting over a broken chassis lol ridiculous! Line cutting and it's just a big mess, I try to avoid going in there as much as I can.

One thing I failed to mention on purpose is, I have high overhead. Mainly my insurance. I have to make the weekly cut or ill be short at the end of the month. Running 240 miles round trip for $550 once a day is not so appealing. That's why im starting to be curiouser about these different areas of trucking ie. flatbeds, reefers, vans, hazmat. More like long runs, I went to New Mexico with a can and paid $2,500 round trip. I could hypothetically speaking do two runs a week, but the consistency is not there.

Yes! I'm a big believer in having reserves as well, I've already had to use some of mine. There's nothing that can make you feel better after having and emergency and knowing you can cover it. I rather have it and not need it, than, need it and not have it.

So true about doing what makes you happy over all, it's just I don't have the small luxury to be buying all of the extra equipment for flat beds and then end up with a van, if you know what I mean. Freedoms is one of the best things that attracted me to trucking in the first place. I'm a U.S Army vet and its my time to enjoy the freedom I fought for.

Thanks a lot @rigjockey , I know what you mean by pop locking those cans on short runs. That's all I was doing when I first started. One night I pulled 7 cans loaded and 3 empties in one night(PM Shift). I was in and I out! Sad to say the atmosphere in there sucks balls! Fighting over a broken chassis lol ridiculous! Line cutting and it's just a big mess, I try to avoid going in there as much as I can.

I'm a U.S Army vet and its my time to enjoy the freedom I fought for.
Yup! That is the way it got to be by the time I jumped out of hauling cans. If you left the least little bit of space between trucks while waiting in line, Some driver with a collapsible cowboy hat would cut in there. So you had to be bumper to bumper and then some idiot would roll back into your truck.
The drag races up the highway to the can yard. Honestly dude you need to tie up two lanes on a two lane road to pass me? So you can be in front of me but, behind 50 other trucks? Ya that makes sense.
When I was hauling cans ( before all hell broke lose) we all knew each other. Guys from other companies, It didn't matter. We knew each other, We were competitive but we would also help each other out in a crunch.
As for the two lane deal, Ok I am behind you or I am in front of you, Whatever. We get to the can yard at the same time and the checker knows both of us as does the loader . No need to impede the four wheelers on our deal.

Anyway enough of my rambling. Thank You for your service Soldier!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom