Intermodal vs Trailer

SFCAV

What's are some advantages over pulling cans from the port to driving a trailer? I hear you can make more money pulling trailers over containers, how?

Not enough info. Lots of guys make a good living hauling containers, lots of guys lose their behind.

Lots of guys hauling dry box make a good living, while others run themselves right out of business.

Same with Temp control, flat, heavy haul, bulk trailers............

Yep:)

But I am company. Pay is about the same, aggravation is about the same, like the song says "Hello to the new boss same as the old boss."

I will say from the stuff I have been looking into if your gonna go van do it with someone on percentage. Landstar, Mercer, and Schnieder have programs. @Mike can comment on the Punkin stuff, and @Tominator can talk about Landstar.

@Injun and @RACEFAN seem to be doing well with Swift. I'll let them describe their programs.

Mileage based. Deadhead pays the same as loaded including FSC, but I'm on a dedicated account. OTR does not pay the same.

I don't get FSC on empty miles, and only get $0.81 cpm for all empty miles. OTR loaded cpm can be anywhere from $0.92 to $2.35, depending on length of haul.

But my FSC changes, depending on the national avg. Last pay period it was $.43 cpm on all loaded miles.

I end up paying about $1.10 per gallon out of pocket when it's all tallied up.

The trick is to not deadhead 100 miles for a 200-300 mile loaded run, for example. The only way I accept a load that has a bunch of deadhead miles is if the loaded miles make it worth while.

I also get $35.00 for each extra stop on that trip.

There was this one time....

I had a difficult time closing and latching the right rear door...
Move the truck about 50 feet. The trailer gets a twist in it if you're on un-level ground & the door opening will be skewed a little & the latches won't wanta line up.

Or just run up & jump-kick the latch handle. I've done that a few times but I wouldn't advise you to do it in an icy parking lot.

I don't get FSC on empty miles, and only get $0.81 cpm for all empty miles. OTR loaded cpm can be anywhere from $0.92 to $2.35, depending on length of haul.

But my FSC changes, depending on the national avg. Last pay period it was $.43 cpm on all loaded miles.

I end up paying about $1.10 per gallon out of pocket when it's all tallied up.

The trick is to not deadhead 100 miles for a 200-300 mile loaded run, for example. The only way I accept a load that has a bunch of deadhead miles is if the loaded miles make it worth while.

I also get $35.00 for each extra stop on that trip.
We'll listen to you!.... Talkin all business like and such...

Move the truck about 50 feet. The trailer gets a twist in it if you're on un-level ground & the door opening will be skewed a little & the latches won't wanta line up.

Or just run up & jump-kick the latch handle. I've done that a few times but I wouldn't advise you to do it in an icy parking lot.
Would have been nice to know about 500,000 miles ago... I'm gettin real tired of hearin...." Hey MAG! Yer right door is swingin in the wind! "

There was this one time....

I had a difficult time closing and latching the right rear door...

Would have been nice to know about 500,000 miles ago... I'm gettin real tired of hearin...." Hey MAG! Yer right door is swingin in the wind! "

GETABIGGERHAMMER!!!

;)

So once I have my own permits and authorities can I recruit drivers to transport the loads that I get from Mercer, example?

Last edited:
Here's another question, if pulling a container from long beach port to Arizona pays about $1200, how much would it pay for a flat bed or trailer( hauling normal loads, no oversize or overweight).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread