I’m not a fan of 34 hr resets

StupidDriver

I honestly think the worst part of doing otr driving is doing resets. I’d rather be driving making money and not sitting in a truck stop contemplating my existence. My depression always peaks during these resets. I can’t stand em

Theyre fine for the local guy. They suck for the OTR guy. The OTR guys deserve better than to have to sit and twiddle their thumbs for a day and a half

I honestly think the worst part of doing otr driving is doing resets. I’d rather be driving making money and not sitting in a truck stop contemplating my existence. My depression always peaks during these resets. I can’t stand em
You know you can run recap hours right? Also if your company has you doing 34 hr resets on the road on the regular.. you need to find a new company.
34 hr resets are best done at home.

I don't do OTR but when I'm doing a live that takes like 3 hours I get hella bored.

Makes me think maybe I need to get a grill that I can strap to my deck and have a cookout.

🤔

I’ve never found doing a reset to be all that bad if it’s scheduled properly. For example: if you run days, a Saturday night until Monday morning reset, you’ve only sat out one shift; the way I see it.

I’d much rather sit one shift than put in a weeks worth of short days in order to ration out my hours to avoid doing a reset.

I knew an owner operator who would only work 8.75 hours each day so he could run everyday and not have to sit one out for a reset.

To each their own though. I just prefer having my hours back unconditionally as opposed to a recap.

I can't see the point in working more than 8 hours to begin with. That's all the office dweebs work. Why should I have to put in 14 hour days? Screw them.

I’ve never found doing a reset to be all that bad if it’s scheduled properly. For example: if you run days, a Saturday night until Monday morning reset, you’ve only sat out one shift; the way I see it.

I’d much rather sit one shift than put in a weeks worth of short days in order to ration out my hours to avoid doing a reset.

I knew an owner operator who would only work 8.75 hours each day so he could run everyday and not have to sit one out for a reset.

To each their own though. I just prefer having my hours back unconditionally as opposed to a recap.
I don't like using my brain so I prefer to start with 70 fresh on Monday so I don't have to think about it all week. Go home Friday with like 20 remaining and it's never an issue.

I did screw up once though. I worked Saturday (something I never do anymore) and come Monday hadn't given it any mind. By Friday the 70 was down to nothing and I had to go home half way through my day. I had started my Monday with 32 instead of 34 hours off. 😏

I mean if I wanted to do something that requires thought I wouldn't have chosen something every Tom, @Duck, and @mndriver can do.

I can't see the point in working more than 8 hours to begin with. That's all the office dweebs work. Why should I have to put in 14 hour days? Screw them.
I don’t mind puttin in the time as long as everybody else is doing their share and covering their territory. Its when I gotta do my shit PLUS theirs is when I start to get an attitude

I don’t mind puttin in the time as long as everybody else is doing their share and covering their territory. Its when I gotta do my shit PLUS theirs is when I start to get an attitude
I know. My company is an LTL company and everyone knows who the dog ****ers are. (dog ****er=slacker).
I do the shunting for an LTL company and the LTL drivers deliver to our plant. We know who the dog ****ers are.

Y'all bitchin' about resets must never run under the original rules. A reset is a godsend compared to sitting 2 1/2 days to let your recap catch up.

That part of the rules was the driving factor behind much of the comic book nature of paper logs.
I like that we have them, but just don’t have much use for them. Couple times a year, maybe, and could really get by just as well without them.

I think I did one this year that I truly needed due to running back to back long loads and maxing out my clock most days. By the time I was sitting, though, I quickly regretted not just getting something short to the house.

I would guess that most resets that due take place either don’t really need to be used, or it’s just a case of very poor load planning where a driver is simply stuck sitting over the weekend waiting for a Monday delivery. Sitting me on a load during the weekend is a quick way to get you fired as a dispatcher, lol.

Y'all bitchin' about resets must never run under the original rules. A reset is a godsend compared to sitting 2 1/2 days to let your recap catch up.

That part of the rules was the driving factor behind much of the comic book nature of paper logs.
Damn you have a good memory. I forgot all about that. :thumbsup:
What was it like back in 05 or 06 when they changed that?

2005, followed by Public Citizen attacking it a couple years later, and all sorts of fights that ultimately turned it into that abortion that required two consecutive nights off between 1-5am.
But even that was better than the 1934 rules.
Damn you have a good memory. I forgot all about that. :thumbsup:
What was it like back in 05 or 06 when they changed that?
It was a groundbreaking change for a lot of guys. It allowed guys from the Midwest to turn the West Coast every week, and be home on weekends. WITHOUT having to spend the time to redo the prior weeks logs, every weekend.

2005, followed by Public Citizen attacking it a couple years later, and all sorts of fights that ultimately turned it into that abortion that required two consecutive nights off between 1-5am.
Yeah it was a real nightmare with the 1-5 am restrictions for LTL and restaurant deliveries.
The motoring public wants overnight/early morning deliveries to help with traffic/congestion but at the same time they also want drivers sleeping during the overnight/early morning hours.

The resets to do, I don’t need to.

But it’s been nice to just park the ride and walk the dog too. Play with the drone and take pictures.

May start renting cars if I ever stop taking so stupid much medical time off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread