How to replace air valve in Cummins/Holset air compressor?

rtbcoop

I am cleaning/refreshing my air compressor pump but am having trouble getting to one of the components. I cannot figure out how to get the piece in the attached picture apart. It looks like it may be a press fitting but I don't want to throw it in the hydraulic press and risk damaging it if not. Does anyone know how to get at the ring inside this piece? The compressor is a Holset QE296B if that matters. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20180404_211850.jpg
    IMG_20180404_211850.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 47
I am cleaning/refreshing my air compressor pump but am having trouble getting to one of the components. I cannot figure out how to get the piece in the attached picture apart. It looks like it may be a press fitting but I don't want to throw it in the hydraulic press and risk damaging it if not. Does anyone know how to get at the ring inside this piece? The compressor is a Holset QE296B if that matters. Thanks for any help!
@r3gulator3 .........??

this guy is/was a mechanic, hopefully he will see the call i sent out..

So, I’m going to warn you up front I don’t have a ton of experience with a Holset compressor but have rebuilt tons of bendix compressor. That part there in the picture to me looks like it should come apart with a pic or screwdriver, looks to be glued in by a rubber seal which over time stick parts together. Due to lighting I can’t tell if there is a snap ring on it. Avoid the hydraulic press. With the exception of driver gear or if belt driven the pulley I have never needed a press or a puller to replace any compressor components.

I figured it out by accident. If you place a drift into the small vent holes and gently tap, a thick ring on the back side will slip off an interior cylinder. It's a semi-pressed fitting, just the opposite direction from what I was guessing. Thanks for the help!

I figured it out by accident. If you place a drift into the small vent holes and gently tap, a thick ring on the back side will slip off an interior cylinder. It's a semi-pressed fitting, just the opposite direction from what I was guessing. Thanks for the help!
might be easy and safer to get a spanner type of wrench, as to not nick those elongated holes, and maybe cause a sealing problem.

spanner wrenches can be used for many repairs when in need

pics of spanner wrenches - Google Search

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread