How do I travel with a small dog?

nwyant1946

We have just acquired a Maltese..about 6 lbs....she's an adult dog, doesn't chew, doesn't shed and is housebroken. What is the safest way to travel on the truck with her??? Any of you couples who travel with a small dog, I would appreciate any advice. I don't drive...just a passenger....would she be safe on my lap and if so what do I need to have with me? I have a carseat, but it doesn't work except on the front seat....is there anything I can get where she would ride in the bunk. Not sure she would want to stay back there alone though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

There are no rules regarding canine passengers.

Let yer pup ride where it's most comfortable for all.

We have a Mini-Pin in the truck. All I have done is buy some puppy pads for him to have a place to go when we are sleeping or unable to stop. Also take a couple toys and some treats and a favorite blanket of the dogs. We use a regular sized food and water dish, just extra heavy so no sliding around.
Good luck!

There are no rules regarding canine passengers.

Let yer pup ride where it's most comfortable for all.

No laws you mean.

Every company has their own rules.

At Covenant Transport in 2004, (no idea if they've changed their policy) the deal was you had to fork over a $500 deposit, not sure if it's "non-refundable" or not.) And the dog had to be 40 lbs or smaller.

My current company says no pets at all, but I took my dog around the backroads once when all I needed to do was charge it's batteries without ruining my idling bonus. :)

No laws you mean.

Every company has their own rules.

At Covenant Transport in 2004, (no idea if they've changed their policy) the deal was you had to fork over a $500 deposit, not sure if it's "non-refundable" or not.) And the dog had to be 40 lbs or smaller.

My current company says no pets at all, but I took my dog around the backroads once when all I needed to do was charge it's batteries without ruining my idling bonus. :)

Thank you for clearing that up....

View attachment 20037 .
View attachment 20037

There are laws in some states about dogs riding on the driver's lap, which go largely ignored.

Some busybodies will tell you to crate your dog for travel. I actually had someone tell me that. My response: Is it more cruel to chance the dog bouncing around in a crash, or to spend no less than 12 hours every day locked in a 2'x3' container?

Let her ride where she's comfortable, get a no-spill water dish and keep fresh, clean water in it, and get her out to pee whenever you go to the bathroom. Get her a Martindale style collar and an ID tag. Sometimes the little boogers get away from us.

Don't take her into the truck stop, or WalMart. I am sick and tired of seeing non-assistant dogs in WalMart crammed into somebody's coat.

Exercise is great. Especially for small dogs. A tired dog is a good dog. Just make sure you always have a leash on her when she's out of the truck. You might be confident in her manners, but you can't be confident in somebody else's dog. If she gets hurt and you didn't have her on a leash, the fault and liability is 100% yours.

Feed a GOOD high protein diet, but don't make her fat. I suggest Wellness Small Breed or something like that. A dog that small, a 7 pound bag should last you at least three weeks. Big name brands like Purina, Pedigree and Science Diet are mostly crap filler.

And please pick her poops up and throw them in the trash.

A dog can do really well on a truck. Mine did great until he fell in love with my friend's girl dog. The dog will be good for you, too, by simply getting you up and moving a little more often. No creature, not even humans, can love like a dog does. You will experience true unconditional love.

Congratulations!

Pics?

Animals should be locked in a carrier and those that aren't should be shot! Ok not really, but their owners should.

Sorry but if you want a dog, buy a house and live in it.

I just seen the other day some jackwad paying more attention to his stupid dog that would not stop running back as forth across him/her. This person ran off the road a few times, I just about called 911 and reported a drunk driver but I don't want to waste their time on some idiot!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread