How long do you have to fix a small problem on a DOT Inspection?

Janet

Carrying hazmat totes, got pulled into weigh station in WA and ABS light did not work at all. How long are we allowed to continue to drive without fixing the issue? I called my company in NJ and they told me I could wait until I got back to the terminal, however I was advised by someone else that I had to correct within 24 hours. What is the rule of thumb?

^^^ What he said, But I don't think it would be incredibly difficult to pop out the bulb and put a new one in.

^^^ What he said, But I don't think it would be incredibly difficult to pop out the bulb and put a new one in.
Could be another driver clipped the wires because he didn't want to advertise the ABS has issues.

Could be another driver clipped the wires because he didn't want to advertise the ABS has issues.
Why would a driver clip the wires when the end result would be the same as a burnt out light?
I mean anyone can tell if the ABS is working or not without the light, Just by the clicking sounds when the key is turned.

I got a warning for the light being out but the DOT man said the ABS was in fact working.

if you were given an actual inspection, the company has 14 days to acknowledge having received the inspection form.

If the state collects enough of them, it will get them flagged for an audit.

you can bet that the DOT inspectors see those reports in the CSA reports and it will be a point of focus for them

If your fishing for a way to tell the company to fix it out on the road, there isn't one.

It's not an OOS item and they are more than within their means to brings you home in a reasonable time that they determine.

Don't you have something like 30 days to submit proof of repairs?
Nope.

Nothing is required to be submitted for proof of repairs. Only for an OOS failure. Which needs to be repaired before you move the truck. Unless it's towed for service.

Just file a copy as a motor carrier you received the inspection in 14 days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread