How do I make a comeback after a crash?

You don't feel much lateral G force at all in a truck, even when you're going around a ramp faster than you should be.

In a real truck with a heavy load on, what you do feel is the stresses on the truck when you're on one of those 270 degree clover-type ramps. You can accelerate 2-3 mph and feel a difference. You're talking in terms of 15 mph? Five mph makes a huge difference on a ramp or a curve with a loaded truck. And there's a huge difference just in the feedback from the steering wheel whether you're loaded or empty. Put 34,000 lbs of weight across two parallel drive axles that both point straight & they'll get better traction. They're not designed for turning, because neither of them are steerable. The steer tires on the tractor have to fight harder against the drive axles wanting to continue in a straight line. And you can feel it in the steering wheel. The faster you go around a fixed-radius curve, or the tighter the curve radius gets at a fixed speed, the more you can feel resistance in the steering wheel. It's not something you can learn with a simulator unless it's a high-dollar thing owned by a school. Not something you can run on your home computer.

If you're flipping trailers over in the simulator, it's because there's none of that feedback.
The Logitech g27 is actually capable of simulating that, but that would require the game programmers did their job to reflect reality, which they didn't. Anyway, I haven't flipped a trailer in forever because I learned what the limits are. I only had to flip 3 trailers to do so! :p (I think the game made on and off ramps slippery as ice)

Injun said:
Diesel mechanic.
I considered this. The problem is, I took an auto mechanic class in highschool, and I pretty much loathe grease monkeys more than any other species of human scum out there. I don't want to learn or work around them.

ezrollin said:
you sound like me, over confiden
I doubt you'd say that if you actually knew me. I'm actually intimidated by driving in crowded cities big time. My element is crazy twisty roads with deadly drop offs in the middle of nowhere. The best job I ever had was cutting christmas trees in the mountains in blizzard conditions, driving up nearly 45 degree roads of ice in trucks and snow mobiles. (We'd even cross rivers by driving over snow covered logs as bridges.) I'd be dead if I couldn't drive the shit out of things, but big cities is not about driving ability so much as big pattern processing, which I've yet to get comfortable with. You can't actually keep track of everything going on around you so you have to, "learn" what to look out for and what you can ignore as background noise.

I'm also unsure that I can keep up with the pace of a trucking school that trains drivers in only 2 weeks. So I'm getting all I can from a simulator first. I'm a strong believer in being honest with yourself, and comparing and contrasting yourself to others. I started out awful at my last job mostly because people wouldn't leave me alone and let me do my thing. Now, my IQ is actually very high, but I don't exactly learn, "fast". There was a guy I worked with that learned more than I did in 2 weeks than I had in 2 months. (Edit: another aspect might be that I'm the one that trained him.) However, in 7 months I had accuracy and speed over him. When I was an order picker, I routinely had the highest productivity in the place measured by a computer, but I constantly felt like I was inferior. I really couldn't drive a pallet truck as , "well" as some of the others in the place. This was all seeded by the fact that I was trained to drive a pallet truck on one without brakes. I went to put the brake on, didn't stop, panicked and put my foot out to try to stop it (Yeah right, it's a tank), and ran right over it turning my big toe into hamburger. If anything, I lack confidence, but where I know I shine, I'm happy to speak up about it. :)

Last edited:
Now, my IQ is actually very high, but I don't exactly learn, "fast".
That sentence contradicts itself.

IQ is a measurement of a persons' ability to learn.

Low IQ = slow learner = dumb.
High IQ= fast learner = smart.

There isn't much more to it than that.

But there's a loop-hole called "Attention Deficit Disorder". I think it was Thomas Edison, when he was in school they thought he was a dumbass. But more recent changes in how psychology looks at things suggests that Edison had ADD.

ADD doesn't have anything to do with IQ other than that it can make others think you're dumb when you're not. What it does is interfere with your ability to learn stuff you don't find particularly interesting. Basically, if it's not interesting, you can't pay attention long enough to learn it. It's not that you're SLOW at learning it, it's that you're simply NOT learning it until something happens that makes you actually find it interesting or at least applicable to real life.

At this point, learning about driving a truck SAFELY probably isn't interesting to you because until you actually start driving a truck for real, it's not applicable.

But there's a loop-hole called "Attention Deficit Disorder". I think it was Thomas Edison, when he was in school they thought he was a dumbass. But more recent changes in how psychology looks at things suggests that Edison had ADD.

ADD doesn't have anything to do with IQ other than that it can make others think you're dumb when you're not. What it does is interfere with your ability to learn stuff you don't find particularly interesting. Basically, if it's not interesting, you can't pay attention long enough to learn it. It's not that you're SLOW at learning it, it's that you're simply NOT learning it until something happens that makes you actually find it interesting or at least applicable to real life.

At this point, learning about driving a truck SAFELY probably isn't interesting to you because until you actually start driving a truck for real, it's not applicable.
Well, my IQ is high because of abstract reasoning mainly. All it really does for me is make me hate people and feel alienated because they don't understand the associations I make, or see why they're valid all the while touting logical fallacies generally held by whatever group they identify with. Infact, it's my greatest tested mental strength that gets me the most hate thrown my way because people's general inability to understand makes them think a deficiency on my end. If I had tolerated school better, it might have taken me places as a mathematician or such, but I mostly it just aggravates me. :) I can be diagnosed with ADD, but my GPA was still around 3.4 not even giving a rats ass, and I pretty much refuse to identify with some disorder. Every now and then you hear about how some famously intelligent person, "Did bad in school" but if you look into it, it wasn't really the case. I haven't looked into Edison, but the same thing was said for Einstein.

It's a lot more complicated than how fast or slow a person can learn. I mean, a person can have a fantastic memory, but they don't actually do anything with the information but parrot it- It still gets them places. My inability to focus on boring things is going to be a problem for me no matter what I do.

Last edited:
Well, my IQ is high because of abstract reasoning mainly. All it really does for me is make me hate people and feel alienated because they don't understand the associations I make, or see why they're valid all the while touting logical fallacies generally held by whatever group they identify with. Infact, it's my greatest tested mental strength that gets me the most hate thrown my way because people's general inability to understand makes them think a deficiency on my end. If I had tolerated school better, it might have taken me places as a mathematician or such, but I mostly it just aggravates me. :)
People don't understand the associations you make because people don't like being told they're wrong about something, especially if it's something they've believed in for a long time. It's why Galileo was put under house arrest for defending Copernicus' theory of heliocentrism.
I can be diagnosed with ADD, but my GPA was still around 3.4 not even giving a rats ***, and I pretty much refuse to identify with some disorder.
Whether or not it's a disorder is a matter of personal opinion. If you're really good at something that DOES interest you, you'll be able to immerse yourself in it & learn it in leaps & bounds faster than the average person. For example, while I was flunking computer science in high school at the age of 14, I finished all 4 grade levels of metals class (welding, fabricating, machining & casting) my freshman year & that summer, ended up doing all of the gas welding on a gyrocopter in the teacher's workshop at his house, which I later got a ride on. Computers were impossible for me to learn. I didn't actually become interested in them until after high school, and when I did, I dove into that head first & ended up building my own computer, my desktop PC I have at home which is 11 years old & has been the most stable Windows platform system I've ever heard of.
Every now and then you hear about how some famously intelligent person, "Did bad in school" but if you look into it, it wasn't really the case. I haven't looked into Edison, but the same thing was said for Einstein.
It might've been both of them.
My inability to focus on boring things is going to be a problem for me no matter what I do.
My attitude is if it's too boring to pay attention to, it's not worth the frustration. In school, microbiology was the most boring class ever. Who the hell cares? To this day I've never needed to use a microscope for anything, nor any of the knowledge associated with the use of a microscope or a petri dish or beakers or any of that crap.

I got crappy grades because I didn't do homework. It bored me. I learned the material and had it down pat, but the teaching methods used insisted I drill, drill, drill on the same old crap I already knew from the first time they taught it to me.

No matter how many times I wrote the word "hemorrhoid" the spelling wasn't going to change. I was ready to move on to the next challenge, but had to go back and do it again because the other students didn't get it.

It was odd that I could work out spelling despite my dyslexia.

Last edited:
I got crappy grades because I didn't do homework. It bored me. I learned the material and had it down pat, but the teaching methods used insisted I drill, drill, drill on the same old crap I already knew from the first time they taught it to me.

No matter how many times I wrote the word "henorrhoid" the spelling wasn't going to change. I was ready to move on to the next challenge, but had to go back and do it again because the other students didn't get it.

It was odd that I could work out spelling despite my dyslexia.
The only reason I passed any of my regular "sit at a desk in a classroom while teacher goes blah blah blah" classes was because I aced all the tests. Never turned in a single daily homework assignment since I was in 6th grade. History was one of the subjects I was interested in, and I read the whole damn textbook in one day at home after school. I skipped all the daily assignments but aced everything. I could be drawing pictures or looking out the window or staring at some chick's ass & the teacher would call on me to answer a question. I'd look stupid at first because she would have to repeat the question but then I'd answer it correctly. I got a lot of funny looks from teachers when I'd do that. They thought they could stump me but they never did.

Except in algebra. I didn't even bother learning that crap because in real life, algebra doesn't even exist.

askreened.com_render_product_h_o_d_hodagwiaqiraagoykioq_dear_a159674edbcd82b177d05a366c7db7dee.jpg

Actually, no, A persons ability to learn is related to their memory function, as in Retaining what goes in.

I.Q. tests on the other hand test the pattern recognition ability, problem solving and calculation ability, very little memory other than short term involved.

I have never tested under a weighted 128 IQ points, where 100 is the weighted average... On the other hand I have been so bored in lessons I have effectively "switched off" and daydreamed along and other less intelligent students to whom the speed of the lesson was more in tune with retained far more and tested far better on the end of year exams... They paid attention, I didn't, they got better grades.

Sometimes it does not pay to be intelligent.

DOH! (Sorry, it was too perfect to pass up...)
Yeh, I caught the typo and fixed it. "m" is right nxt to "n" on the QWERTY keyboard and the one I'm working with is tiny.

awww7.pcmag.com_media_images_280281_motorola_droid_4.jpg

On top of that, half of the letters have been rubbed off the keys.

Yeh, I caught the typo and fixed it. "m" is right nxt to "n" on the QWERTY keyboard and the one I'm working with is tiny.

View attachment 22806

On top of that, half of the letters have been rubbed off the keys.
Yup, I knew it was a typo, but couldn't resist due to the context.

I have large hands, Ham-handed you might say... I can't do text messaging on a cell phone to save my life.. There's no way I could use that device in the picture well without using something to poke at it.

(I've been on the lookout for a cheap cell phone with good sized buttons, but haven't looked to see if there are any out there lately.)

I have large hands, Ham-handed you might say... I can't do text messaging on a cell phone to save my life.. There's no way I could use that device in the picture well without using something to poke at it.

(I've been on the lookout for a cheap cell phone with good sized buttons, but haven't looked to see if there are any out there lately.)
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41otT4hBNoL.jpg

Actually, no, A persons ability to learn is related to their memory function, as in Retaining what goes in.

I.Q. tests on the other hand test the pattern recognition ability, problem solving and calculation ability, very little memory other than short term involved.
Actually if you want to get more into it, it's both. My dad summarized it once for me & said it was mainly based on a person's ability to learn & solve problems. (He's a retired shrink)

Learning isn't simply memorization. Not always anyway. It's not like an actor's ability to memorize lines in a script. Learning stuff requires some problem solving, pattern recognition, & deductive reasoning if you're going to be able to know how newly memorized facts apply to things in real life. Otherwise it's just meaningless data you'll probably soon forget.
Take history for example, and your mention of pattern recognition. The overwhelming majority of Americans totally suck at this. If they weren't completely lacking in mental resources when it comes to recognizing patterns in human history, people like Barack Obama couldn't even get a job changing bed-sheets in a cheap motel. Therefore, it doesn't take a clinical psychologist to know that everybody who is patriotic & wants the best for the United States, yet voted for Obama, lacks pattern recognition skills & also probably slept through their world & US history classes in school. And their deductive reasoning skills are so bad Aristotle has been spinning around in his grave.
I thought she did it on purpose, because of the context. What are the odds she'd misspell a word while talking about her spelling abilities? :rolllaugh:

No, you speak Americanese...

Besides, a lot of Chinese speak decent English these days, i was over there teaching some of them for 13 months :D and there are MANY more like me teaching English in China...

Chinese law actually requires English as a mandatory part of the curriculum and states "all English students must be exposed to a native speaker of English"

The infectious theory of language learning, as if English is a germ they can catch...

Okay, so...Chinese people are required to learn English (or some dialect thereof) in China, but people in the US are not...

Have I got that about right?
ablu.stb.s_msn.com_i_D6_14AD5CAA9C461B2CCAFE64738D8F3_h316_w628_m5_ccyczEVhF.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread