High pitch whining noise from my 13 Speed Eaton Fuller

Glenn

I have a Eaton Fuller 13 speed. When the range is in high and I split the gears, and splitter is in high position, the transmission makes a loud whining high pitch noise. Everything works fine, the noise just gets unbearable by the end of the day. Any one with suggestions on how to make the whining stop.

Thanks,
Glenn

Fix it before it goes totally fubar, gear work can get expensive if it's left to self-destruct. Sounds like a bearing or shim issue in the rear overdrive section. If you're lucky it can be fixed without pulling the tranny. I'm not positive but I think the rear section can be removed independantly. Find a good gear shop or just go for a reman. I don't do gear work so am going by what I (barely) remember so don't cuss me if I've got this all messed up. Let us know what you end up doing and how it worked out.

Like searay says, check the lube level.

And jostby is on the right track, I think, that a bearing is complaining, and the reason could be the lube is low. It is also possible that the lube is old and broken down enough that it is no longer doing the job of lubricating the bearings and gears.

I just had the gear box oil changed in all three boxes last week. The 'Shaker service manual recommended doing this at 500,000 miles. I went with the synthetic, plus added a shot of Lucus. It may be the placebo effect kicking in, but, I swear it's quieter, and, shifts smoother.

I like the neat little display for Lucas where you can hand crank a little box of gears, and, watch the Lucas climb to the top.

Everyone thanks for you help. Took it to a transmission shop and we found that the auxiliary gear was missing a tooth, the overdrive gears wear bad and the rear bearing needed replaced. It 's getting done as we speak.

No thanks to the guy I bought the truck from, the transmission shop rebuilt my transmission for him and he obviously broke it and then sold it, knowing it was hurt, stating it was just rebuilt.

Nice guy. I had a catastrophic failure of my transmission right after I had the cooler lines replaced in Sept '03 and one of them broke just west of Green River, UT pulling a grade on I-70. The shop that replaced the lines offered me a free service because of the screw up. I won't tell you what I offered him.

My internal cooler failed. Overtopped the tranny, destroyed the mainshaft bearings. Reman before it grenaded. 8 grand! it still hurts.

The info provided me some insight to the possibility's on my old Gal, 65 Peterbilt, overdrive whines at all rpm in 13th gear. Thank you all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread