Lease Purchase Freymiller

Horse crap. When you ask them what they are earning, a valid damn question, and get told they know business, tjey know more about the business from running multi-million dollar chicken houses, and they have handled more money than I have ever seen. They deserve to have their little pathetic want to be owner operator bubble ****ing burst.

No worries I deleted what I could of mine. Feel free to kill the rest. Because there is one simple fact that all of us know. We are all out here for money. You can stick every other excuse, or insipid "Well happy is worth less money"........file that in the little blue building at the job site.

The second this does not pay money every one of us walks. Not one of you is doing this for love of it, some goofy lifestyle, you like big belt buckles and fingerless gloves. You are out here for money. That is a fact. Another fact is any company that comes on here recruiting talking about how you can do it working harder, just avoid having a home, or a life, just budget better is a bottom feeding disease infesting the industry with low wages, low rates, and meat in the seat mentality.

Sure they let 1 out of a 100 succeed. It's called seed money to con the rubes. Trucks can not run on a dollar a mile. That is another fact.

But who gives a ****. All unicorn farts and rainbows round here right?

Sure they came on here looking for advice. That's why when asked directly if Freymiller pays detention you get hemming and hawing "Well I guess so it shows up sometimes". Sounds like a he'll of a business mind to me. That or a recruiter deliberately avoiding an answer that exposes what kind of company they are.

A legitimate company has it spelled out here is what detention pays. Period.

If people want to post what their program pays. Post what it pays, save the b.s.
Go up in the hills and howl for a while.

Yer gettin' grumpy.

@braylean - I completed a 3-year lease at Prime, and subsequently purchased the truck, which I now own. So first, it can be done. Owners do not have the same mindset as company drivers. For us it's not a zero sum game revolving around just money and benefits.

Having been through this once, I have some observations you may find useful.

You absolutely need to run your truck as a business. Your settlement checks need to be deposited into a business bank account separate from your personal finances. That money is cash flow into your business. Anything you purchase for your truck or to support your business going down the road should be from this account.

Pay yourself a salary from your business account. Needless to say, you and your wife need to work out a personal budget. Savings is important too - something you can dip into for unexpected expenses without raiding your business account.

Hopefully you have control over how your maintenance escrow account is spent. If you are going to end up with the truck, you have a major interest in what is fixed, how and where it's done. Building up a surplus in your business bank account is really important. Trucking is a really expensive business, so having cash available keep you going is important. I know many folks forced out of business because they didn't have the money to float a big repair bill.

Managing your money needs attention too. You're a business owner (don't let anyone tell you differently.) You'll need to set up a bookkeeping system so you know what your money is going to, what your financial position is, and (really important) have your head inside your numbers. CPAs are for taxes. You need to be able to assess your financial health in order to run your business. Fortunately this isn't hard, and we got what's necessary to do it by 8th grade. A monthly profit/loss statement is easy to put together, and will give you the information you need to be a success.

If you're with me so far, great! If not, the book, "Accounting for Dummies" is a great resource. It's concise, has what you need, and much more that you can ignore. You want as simple a system as possible, so your bookkeeping doesn't become drudgery. You want to list all your business income, and all of your expenses. The difference is your net profit (or loss) before taxes.

Having just those three numbers:

Gross income
Total expenses (including salary)
Net profit (or loss)

On a monthly basis puts you ahead of 90% of the folks out here trying to be owner operators. Keep a running average of this information can allow you to develop the following crucial business financials:

The average of your total expenses by the month week and day - this is also the minimum revenue your business needs to generate. Keep figures on your average mileage per month, week and day - and you have the minimum revenue per mile your loads have to come in at to stay in business.

Knowing your average profit can give you your net cpm before taxes to the penny to throw back at the jerks who try to tear you down too.

:biggrin-2:

Do this stuff with a spreadsheet program is useful - it's a timesaver, and can make it very portable through document sharing. So here's something else: it helps to have some basic computer skills. A lot can be done with a smartphone too.

If none of that appeals to you, or bookkeeping is like watching paint dry to you, there are service outfits that can help you with this. I'll mention one - the ProfitGauges service at letstruck.com - you can do the data entry or the letstruck people can help. Either way, they charge $19 per month, produce a professional financial report for you, and provide a one page year end tax summary that is everything a CPA needs.

ProfitGauges

I know that this is all financial, but it's the part that most truckers neglect. It's the part that can be the biggest difference between a better life as a business owner, or going back to being an employee.

Anyways, good luck to you! I'm certainly happy with the effort I put in to get out of the swamp of the company guys.

:thefinger: :thefinger:
I already am doing petty much everything you suggested and those were all great suggestions, thanks.

No when an O/O comes on here proclaiming how much money they are making (losing) They can expect to be fully challenged on their statements, just the same as every super O/O challenges company drivers on their earnings and title as wage slaves.

That is the point of a thread is to debate.

Now the O/P has kept his cool real well, But he can expect to be both challenged and supported.
There is a load of difference between being challenged and having your very lifestyle attacked.

To the op
Why didn't you buy your own truck and latch on to someone.
What are you gonna do if the marriage don't work out more than likely you'll have to turn the truck in and they start there process over again on fleeing it out.
How well are your loads planned out when you get to a location do they have a load out waiting for you.
How often do they send you to dead zones
I think you could do better if you had your own truck and were working with a decent broker is all then you wouldn't have to be running 3000 miles a week if your happy that's cool but just food for thought in the future is all
One of the downsides to this lease is I do have a dispatcher, I'm not on a load board. This company has many contracts with customers from coast to coast that they have hauled for for years, so generally speaking anyone's downtime here is pretty much all due to detention and not waiting on loads. With that said, it happens and they fix the problem. An example, I had to get a load relayed of at the loves in Hutchins Texas. I was out of hours on my 70 so I set for a 34 and the company couldn't grab a load locally on a weekend so the offered me 3 loads 2 in dodge city and one in liberal Kansas to get me rolling. Remember this eats a few hours on my clock but that's it since I get paid the same loaded or empty. I have never fallen below 2500 miles in a week unless it was my choice to do so and almost never do I fall below 2800. Generally I get between 2800 to 3200. We do run Coast to Coast though so sometimes a longer run like a 2500 mile run can eat a week if it falls just right. You should probably know about that though.

Also I saw someone mention as a l/o or o/o thou don't run from check to check. This was a point I was trying to make before when someone got their brain stuck on why would I chose to have a negative check.. I took a negative $7 check one week that increased my months profit margin by $400 because I chose to sacrifice that week to take a 2800 mile 4 or 5 stop load. All some folks can see is that negative and no amount of speeding them the latter results will allow then to see anything but that minus sign. They don't get that that minus sign can be made into a much larger plus sign in the long run if you don't suffer from short sightedness. That where allot of folks fail, they can't see beyond their noses to see what's coming down the road at them.

To the op
Why didn't you buy your own truck and latch on to someone.
What are you gonna do if the marriage don't work out more than likely you'll have to turn the truck in and they start there process over again on fleeing it out.
How well are your loads planned out when you get to a location do they have a load out waiting for you.
How often do they send you to dead zones
I think you could do better if you had your own truck and were working with a decent broker is all then you wouldn't have to be running 3000 miles a week if your happy that's cool but just food for thought in the future is all
First of in assuming you mean with the company. I am my wife's first husband and she's my first wife and we've been together 27 years, I think I'm ok there, lol. As for the company, I'm not worried, I've told this before but I don't blame you for not washing through all the posts. This is my second stint with this company, both time I spent about a month driving company and then leased. The first to my wife's stayed home and her health declined pretty bad soI has to turn in the truck to be at home with her this is my second run. I already know what to expect from the company because all totaled I have a year or better in with them. And this time my wife is with me so I can take care of her as we go and her health is much better now. And I am friends or acquaintances with several drivers that are either payed out or close to being finished so I have great advice on this particular program and what I need to accomplish to succeed.

@braylean - are you on a mileage contract or are you paid as a percentage of the load?
Mileage. We had an option to get out own authority and run percentage but some drivers screwed that up for everyone. I get $1.00 a mile +fsc and reefer rebate on all miles loaded and empty and fuel is approx. .40 cpg cheaper than pump price for me at the loves.

Mileage. We had an option to get out own authority and run percentage but some drivers screwed that up for everyone. I get $1.00 a mile +fsc and reefer rebate on all miles loaded and empty and fuel is approx. .40 cpg cheaper than pump price for me at the loves.
I just wondered... explains your emphasis on miles per week.

I did not hum haw about detention. I said the company still has a shipper ours two THEY have trouble getting detention from, I get paid either way. And it does depend on the company being charged as to how much I get. It's never been chump change though, I can tell you that much. And we do have a fixed fsc based on the doe national average which like ironpony eludes to, sucks. But they don't runa great deal below what 100 percent pass through the owner ops gets on their loads so it's not as bad as some companies. I pay my own ifta. Well the company pays it out of my escrow for it but I get all the paperwork on out for my files so I know what and who they are paying. Btw, New Mexico sucks, lol.

I get the same accessory pay that I got as a company driver except for breakdown pay of course. I believe it's $100 both for layover and shuttle pay. Well I know that's right for shuttle pay if it's less than 100 miles and regular mileage above that. It's been a while since I got layover and I don't recall right off if that's correct, but I'm pretty sure it is.

$18 per hour after two hours. That's average.
Hmm sounds low for a lease/oo setup. I get $15/hr after two here which sucks balls and everyone knows it, and got $18 after one at my old job.

The o/o rail drivers, at least the one I talked to, is getting $45. I don't know if it's after one or two or from the very beginning though. I forgot to ask.

You could be right, I've never asked the o/o on the logistics side what they usually con out of the shippers. I've never gotten over $20 on the company side but that doesn't mean some don't pay better. Being a reefer driver in just happy to get paid for it because I know allot of reefer companies that stiff you on detention. That is low because driving that hour I could make around 72 or so dollars but it is what it is.

Detention pay for owner operators at Schneider doesn't start until after 6 hours. Don't even remember what we got at the 6 hour mark, but it had dropped significantly compared to when I first started there. I believe it capped at $150.

With my own authority, the average broker who offers a standard detention rate is typically listed at $20-30 per hour. Some after two hours, some after three, a few are four or more hours. Most have a cap, typical number is $150. Some have no detention policy, so you have to work that out before accepting the load.

The key here (in my situation) is to avoid scenarios where detention looks to be a possibility, and/or get your money up front in the rate.

Dealing with detention is a pain, and it's something I would like to see independents and lease operators get better control of. I would like to see a push for much higher detention rates, talking 2-3 hundred per hour minimum. Even then, it can often be a losing situation for the truck owner due to the problems detention causes on multiple drop loads and/or losing the next load due to a long detention situation.

Example: I was just reading on Facebook. Truck owner had a driver on a two drop load. First drop, got delayed 6.5 hours. The result, the driver was 1.5 hours late for 2nd drop at a Walmart DC. Walmart, being the arrogant jackwads they are, won't work the load in, reschedules the delivery 4 days later. It's a reefer load as well, cakes I believe. No amount of detention pay fixes this situation.

At Prime it varies depending on the contract with the shipper, but is specified in the dispatch whether it is paid when the shipper is billed or if there is no detention at all. Typical terms are $50 per hour starting at 2 hours after the appointment time with no cap. Most shippers require our detention stamp with the arrival, departure and appointmenttimes annotated. We are reminded to stamp the bills by dispatch and sales frequently - Prime is quite aggressive in collecting detention, and passing it on to both company drivers and lease/owner operators.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread