Flatbedding at winter time.

I always suggest people get into trucking in the spring so they get a few months to get familiar with air brakes and stuff before they encounter snow & ice.

Starting in August, certainly gives 'em that, unless they start at Pt Barrow, AK.

I was in my trainer's truck March-April-May. It snowed in NM in late April. Shut down I-40 from Santa Rosa to Tucumcari. We took the side highway around. I'm from the NorthWest and winter driving is no stranger to me. I thought I had a handle on it. I learned a lot about winter driving on that trip.

You have an advantage over me. You have no bad car habits to break. You'll learn fresh. If you have a good trainer, he'll make sure you get some ice time. You'll be fine.

The best winter driving skill you can have is the ability to avoid as much of it as possible

Yep, but if you really have to drive in a storm, the middle of the night is the best time to do it. When just about everyone is in bed, and off the road.

One of my "favorite" winter things is when they start announcing over the radio/tv that "the highways are closed to vehicular travel (they're talking about cars and such). Do not drive unless completely necessary".

Right away, every nutbar in the area will pile into his/her junkmobile to "see if it's really as bad as they said". Especially so in the weeks leading up to Christmas/New Years. Idiots think they'll be snowed in for the winter so they have to go Christmas Shopping right now.

What is fun is when you have 6 or 8 inches of snow on the road and all the "I hate trucks" crowd starts following in your wheel tracks like an old mother duck and her babies. Of course you'll get one idiot from the back who just has to pass everybody. Back off and let him go. You'll shortly get to honk your horn at him as he sits fuming in the ditch. No, do not stop for him. Let one of the "ducklings" do it.

What is fun is when you have 6 or 8 inches of snow on the road and all the "I hate trucks" crowd starts following in your wheel tracks like an old mother duck and her babies.
That IS funny! I feel way more comfortable driving my truck than I do driving my four wheeler in the snow. If it was possible to follow myself in my four wheeler behind me driving my truck, I would probably be in the ditch in my four wheeler.

For the Fletbed aspect get yourself some of those rubber coated gloves. ( also you will need some thin knitted gloves to wear inside of the rubberized ones) They don't work worth dick on intricate things but they will keep your hands dry ( for a while) when throwing straps and winching.

BTW, how many of you "nawtherners" have a "winter car"??? Up home it's (was) common for the "nice car" to sit in the garage all winter. You bought an "old car" (often a big old Buick/Olds, etc with 4 doors cause they big and heavy) for the snow/ice/salt. Big ol trunks were handy for "survivables" like a couple bags of sand/ shovel/etc.

I used to have a big ol full-size Buick Electra that would go anyplace and towed more than a few "supposed" 4wd vehicle. :D

BTW, how many of you "nawtherners" have a "winter car"??? Up home it's (was) common for the "nice car" to sit in the garage all winter. You bought an "old car" (often a big old Buick/Olds, etc with 4 doors cause they big and heavy) for the snow/ice/salt. Big ol trunks were handy for "survivables" like a couple bags of sand/ shovel/etc.

I used to have a big ol full-size Buick Electra that would go anyplace and towed more than a few "supposed" 4wd vehicle. :D
Winter Beater!:p

@Bored Insane I am not sure what your company policy is, But take the straps off the winch reel and store them in your side box when you are not using them.
I worked for a place where we used every strap on a quad and they stayed outside 24/7.
They get wet and then they get frozen and then it just sucks trying to throw them.Quad lumber loads

@Bored Insane I am not sure what your company policy is, But take the straps off the winch reel and store them in your side box when you are not using them.
I worked for a place where we used every strap on a quad and they stayed outside 24/7.
They get wet and then they get frozen and then it just sucks trying to throw them.
I'm sure he won't be "bored insane" when he starts tryin' to throw frozen straps in a blizzard... more like "insanely frozen solid!"

:biglaugh:

For the Fletbed aspect get yourself some of those rubber coated gloves. ( also you will need some thin knitted gloves to wear inside of the rubberized ones) They don't work worth dick on intricate things but they will keep your hands dry ( for a while) when throwing straps and winching.

We have to wear rubber gloves for hook-up hoses and unloading. What I do is buy a couple of packs of those brown lined gloves from the truckstops and wear them inside the rubber ones.

When I was flatbedding I wore mittens; either the snowmobile types or leather with a pair of nice "home knitted" ones inside em. Mittens will keep your hands way warmer than gloves.

For footwear, invest in a pair of the "snowmobile" types with the removable felt liners (yes you can get "steel toed" industrial types too).

We have to wear rubber gloves for hook-up hoses and unloading. What I do is buy a couple of packs of those brown lined gloves from the truckstops and wear them inside the rubber ones.
Exactly the ones I had in mind or the cheap Wal mart expandable ones work in a crunch, But the brown ones are best.
When I was flatbedding I wore mittens; either the snowmobile types or leather with a pair of nice "home knitted" ones inside em. Mittens will keep your hands way warmer than gloves.
Yup! Mitts keep your hands warmer.
For footwear, invest in a pair of the "snowmobile" types with the removable felt liners (yes you can get "steel toed" industrial types too).
That is good advice! the felt linings are removable, So you can throw them under floor heater to dry. I know the snowmobile boots do not let in water but feet sweat.

Hey guys, I'm glad you guys are enjoying this. I know I'll be frozen desert rat this winter. I grew up in cold weather, but I've been here way too long.

Few people told me not to refuse loads, but I'll think long and hard about any north trip. BTW, I believe Swift has a terminal in Gary, IN. Pretty sure it's cold there in the winter.

Few people told me not to refuse loads, but I'll think long and hard about any north trip. BTW, I believe Swift has a terminal in Gary, IN. Pretty sure it's cold there in the winter.
C'mon now, after a few runs in the snow you will be a champ. Sayin' I am from the south, The hell is wrong with all ya'll nawtheners can't keep up?
It is all about practice.

C'mon now, after a few runs in the snow you will be a champ. Sayin' I am from the south, The hell is wrong with all ya'll nawtheners can't keep up?
It is all about practice.
Ask me in the spring and see if I still like it. I am getting tired of AZ after 30 yrs., but I don't want to live in MT or ND.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread