What's up with the (lack of) winterized diesel fuel this winter season? (2017/2018)

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Yes, it was this same discussion ;)

Worked for you, didn't work for many.

Fought with crappy fuel all winter, may or may not have played a role in breakdown issues including fuel injectors.

Biggest issue I dealt with was simply not being able to get the fuel to flow when it was cold. Fuel could be treated, as recommended, with the winter Power Service, and it would still not flow through a new 7 micron filter. This is an issue because fuel will still flow over the filter in a DAVCO and keep you moving, but the fuel reaching the engine is unfiltered at that point.

As @FuelrelatedWill pointed out as well, it's not just gelling/icing that we are combating at this point. It's the other contaminants that are showing up in the fuel.

As this topic usually goes, the need to treat fuel is not necessary, until it is necessary.

Quite some time back, when I was dealing with filter issues even during the summer. I ultimately fixed the issue, partly (or maybe mostly) with Hot Shots in the tanks. After treating the tanks, I was draining all sorts of nasty gunk out of the filter housing for a while. After that, my fuel filter issues cleared up. I say long ago, because Hot Shots just doesn't seem to be the same product it was back then.

I'm almost halfway through my 2nd tank using Primrose, and even though I wasn't having fuel filter issues, I am again draining nasty gunk out of the housing. If this stuff is forming in the tank, it's also forming in the lines and likely creating long term issues for the injectors.
I don't have a Davco on my engine - three filter system used on DD15s.

That being said, I've gone through two sets of injectors in the last two years.

Mike

Staff member
I don't have a Davco on my engine - three filter system used on DD15s.
Looking at a new Cascadia, happens to have the 3 filter system and a DAVCO, a really big one.

Freightliner has a really good filtering setup, and I think they have developed that largely for this very reason. Breakdowns are increasing due to declining fuel quality.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Looking at a new Cascadia, happens to have the 3 filter system and a DAVCO, a really big one.

Freightliner has a really good filtering setup, and I think they have developed that largely for this very reason. Breakdowns are increasing due to declining fuel quality.
My FASS system crapped out a couple of years ago, and I haven't had it repaired. Sounds like it's time to throw some money at it.