New To Trucking Finding location of loading bays with Maps/GPS app?

Hi Everyone,

This is Stan. I'd like to understand how most of you find the directions to a loading bay when delivering goods to a store? In simple google maps - it gives you the location of the Store only not the directions to the loading bay (more specific) - how do you guys solve this problem?

Is there any solution/GPS which is good at solving this issue?

Thanks,
Stan

I'd like to understand how most of you find the directions to a loading bay
We use all these mentioned techniques..

If all these fail, then u can even use a GOAL.

I came upon this one place, two identical buildings; unmarked (of course).

Both buildings had those diagonal docks Both sidesvof each building every 40 feet.

So each dock had it's own company name.

Satellite view with GM was worthless the pinpoint location trick was clueless.

Yeah I suppose I could have called S-dept but u like to instill that u know what your doing.

Place wasn't big so I threw on the 4-ways and made like a pedestrian

Less than 10 minutes later back in the truck found my dock/company and was ready to load.

Last edited:
We use all these mentioned techniques..

If all these fail, then u can even use a GOAL.

I came upon this one place, two identical buildings; unmarked (of course).

Both buildings had those diagonal docks Both sidesvof each building every 40 feet.

So each dock had it's own company name.

Satellite view with GM was worthless the pinpoint location trick was clueless.

Yeah I suppose I could have called S-dept but u like to instill that u know what your doing.

Place wasn't big so I threw on the 4-ways and made like a pedestrian

Less than 10 minutes later back in the truck found my dock/company and was ready to load.
Parking near where you're supposed to be, especially if you have time to kill ain't a bad idea. Nothing like a little eyes on recce to dispel ones ignorance about where you're going.

If a street looks like you shouldn't have a big truck on it, trust your first impression. You should either figure out another way to get to where you're supposed to be, or park and walk the route to be sure.

As was said. The street address isn't even close to a dock.

If you deliver to a lumber yard, it's generally different than the address for the gate

I just loaded in Hammond Indiana. The street address given wasn't even close to the actual location inside the steel complex.

Heaven forbid you deliver to an actual construction site.....
Afew weeks ago I picked up at a place and the drop yard was on the other side of town but I still hadda get my paperwork at the plant cause they switched something

Had I not stopped at the wrong place 1st I wouldn't have known that

Last edited by a moderator:
Afew weeks ago I picked up at a place and the drop yard was on the other side of town but I still hadda get my paperwork at the plant cause they switched something
That happens from time to time. I always put in for a second stop with my company because, I had to make 2 stops.
They can bill that to the shipper or receiver, I don't care. I have never been denied pay for the second stop.

Yes, I work for a telematics company that builds big data solutions for drivers /fleets and we have a large customer who has asked us if they can solve this issue for their fleet. So I want to know if it is a larger issue too with others - if so which type of fleet drivers - lumnber? heavy machinery etc?

I'm guessing the OP is asking all these questions because he/she has an invention or an app in mind that will do all of this for us.

Yes, I work for a telematics company that builds big data solutions for drivers /fleets and we have a large customer who has asked us if they can solve this issue for their fleet. So I want to know if it is a larger issue too with others - if so which type of fleet drivers - lumnber? heavy machinery etc?
It is a larger issue with drivers that don't have a smartphone or know how to work Google maps. That is your target audience.
Make an APP for people that can't work a smartphone and you will be a hundredaire.

In other words... youre the feller on the other end of some folks’ drive cams?

Don't most drivers have to use a smartphone or device? for eg: for ELD/HOS requirements or even for navigation . I am envisioning a solution where automatically (Via AI) in the existing maps it displays the directions to the dock area - This would take away the additional need to refer to google maps- This is my hypothesis at least.

It is a larger issue with drivers that don't have a smartphone or know how to work Google maps. That is your target audience.
Make an APP for people that can't work a smartphone and you will be a hundredaire.

Haha More like behind the scenes - we do all the data analytics behind all the vehicle/driving data collected and help our customer manage their fleets better - we even have the ELD app that the drivers use - we are building solutions in that too - to make drivers lives easier - right now I am doing a ton of research to understand things better from a driver perspective.

In other words... youre the feller on the other end of some folks’ drive cams?

Don't most drivers have to use a smartphone or device? for eg: for ELD/HOS requirements or even for navigation . I am envisioning a solution where automatically (Via AI) in the existing maps it displays the directions to the dock area - This would take away the additional need to refer to google maps- This is my hypothesis at least.
For navigation maybe. Company supplys the elog doodad though

Yea I know, but I meant - have any of these companies refined and improved their existing systems to provide this service?
The answer is "no."

Half the places I go didn't even bother to "invest" in Address Numbers
Exactly. Even most businesses along the way don't have visible numbers on their buildings. Seems they're all allergic to street numbers or something.

Just trying to understand if its a problem. not making one
It's not a problem in most cases. At major shippers and receivers, their gates are clearly marked. It's street-side businesses that can be a challenge. And you won't be able to find a computer solution to deliveries for every Mom n Pop pet store in WetFoot Crick, Idaho. Drivers who have not delivered to these locations need to do what we have been doing for decades: Get out and ask the business employees, "How would you like me to do this?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread