New To Trucking Finding location of loading bays with Maps/GPS app?

Hi Everyone,

This is Stan. I'd like to understand how most of you find the directions to a loading bay when delivering goods to a store? In simple google maps - it gives you the location of the Store only not the directions to the loading bay (more specific) - how do you guys solve this problem?

Is there any solution/GPS which is good at solving this issue?

Thanks,
Stan

You learn to be a good map Intel analyst and realize what's what. Then you get a good lat/long and plug that information into the GPS of you favorite flavor.

I was lucky. The army taught me how.

Hi Everyone,

This is Stan. I'd like to understand how most of you find the directions to a loading bay when delivering goods to a store? In simple google maps - it gives you the location of the Store only not the directions to the loading bay (more specific) - how do you guys solve this problem?

Thanks,
Stan
every place i had ever been to, has signs out front like,
Deliveries this way, (with a giant arrow)

or, all trucks, this way, (with a giant arrow)

kinda simple.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Stan
I use Google maps and then go to satellite view and then you can see what way you need to enter to approach the docks so you can back in. It is very helpful at grocery stores where you only get one shot to get it right.
It is also very helpful at large places like Detroit Diesel where the street address is for the front office and not the truck entrance.

Google Maps to locate the place, alternatively search for the businesses website or Facebook page. Use that to locate the satellite view of their business.

You can look for the loading docks, and figure out where the truck gate is located at. You can "drop a pin" on the truck entrance - use you finger to designate a point. Google Maps will return the lat/long coordinates that can be entered as a destination in a GPS, or you can push the directions button in Google Maps - but it won't be truck specific.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Stan
Yeah, the same google maps. Street view, usually shows you right where they are. You can even scan the streets for any potential “no parking” signs.

Find the docks, find the shipping entrance, and move your pin to that location.

Rand Mcnally and TomTom they don't have any such thing built into their systems by now? or any truck gps apps on the App Stores?

Google Maps to locate the place, alternatively search for the businesses website or Facebook page. Use that to locate the satellite view of their business.

You can look for the loading docks, and figure out where the truck gate is located at. You can "drop a pin" on the truck entrance - use you finger to designate a point. Google Maps will return the lat/long coordinates that can be entered as a destination in a GPS, or you can push the directions button in Google Maps - but it won't be truck specific.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Stan
Never rely soley upon GPS...

Even so called "Trucker" GPS will take ya down SIDE STREETS if ya miss a turn..

Best bet even if ya gotta drive 5 miles up the road find a Big @$$ Parking lot and turn around....

I dunno they've gotten ALOT better than they used 2 be...

Nonetheless GPS is only a TOOL...

"NEVER" ever HURTS to break out a MAP and Call the "Customer"...

I "understand" these days that's like a "Foreign Concept" although Consider that almost 20 years ago and prior there was No GPS or Google Maps yet...

Freight still got "Delivered"..

People also didn't spend half their day on a computer screen or with a SmartPhone shoved up their ass way back in 2004 yet either..

Nonetheless

Yea I know, but I meant - have any of these companies refined and improved their existing systems to provide this service?
Keep your eyes "OPEN"...

If something looks "Dicey" pull off and evaluate...

ALOT of times it's just Basic "Common Sense"...

Either ya Got It ...Or Don't

Nonetheless even our Current Technology cannot "replace" that..

every place i had ever been to, has signs out front like,
Deliveries this way, (with a giant arrow)

or, all trucks, this way, (with a giant arrow)

kinda simple.
Lucky you pal...

Half the places I go didn't even bother to "invest" in Address Numbers ...moreless Truck Entrance Signs..

Anyhow back in Antioch Illinois a "BEAMER" parked in front of already a Bitchy dock...

Went in there I said hey who's BMW is that and pointed out the Window...

Says ya better MOVE IT or I'm gonna Tear It Up...

I was "Never" sent back to there afterwards and that's fine with me

As was said. The street address isn't even close to a dock.

If you deliver to a lumber yard, it's generally different than the address for the gate

I just loaded in Hammond Indiana. The street address given wasn't even close to the actual location inside the steel complex.

Heaven forbid you deliver to an actual construction site.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread