Fat, sick and nearly dead...

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
My wife was out sick last week on Monday and then dragged herself to work Tuesday at the local high school due to a flair up allergies.
The culinary sciences chef gave her some atrocious sounding concoction that included kale, ginger, jalapeno, spinach... I dunno what else but I haven't seen her rebound from an episode like that since we were in our 20's!!

The teacher recommended this video...

NOT SPAM!!!
No particular juicer nor any other specific product is pimped or even recommended here as far as I can recall.

I started reading up on natural remedies last weekend and found that dandelions were once touted as a general cure for many ailments...
Poke Sallet,
Collard greens...

The Kale is what got me started looking.
I don't recall hearing of it before.

We bought a juicer plus a bunch of ingredients Saturday and I tried the juice just because of my wife's results.

I feel better than I have in months...
and I didn't have any issues.
STFU, Tazz :mad:

I'm breathing easier and my general state of mind has improved.

My wife has Derier's disease which manifested as rough patches on the skin and the occasional slight rash when we were first married in 1976. It has gotten progressively worse over the years to the point where she was almost completely debilitated all last summer. These days it manifest like something akin to hives plus swelling of the feet and legs accompanied by blistering.

It's hard to watch.
I can't imagine going through what she does.
Year before last when we went to Disney World with the grand kids, I rented her a wheelchair after he forth day...
Last Monday was like that.
When I left around lunch time I was thinking, "Crap, she's DONE for at least a week!!"

The only thing that has worked over the last few years is a self-prescribed regiment of Prednisone that I was getting in Mexico. The doctors she's been to wouldn't prescribe it more than once a year or so. Maybe twice if she got so bad that she couldn't walk.

Over the course of the last week she recalled one old doctor that she went to for a bit before he retired. I just vaguely recall him but she liked him a lot and she says that he told her nutrition was the best way to control symptoms.

It's only been a week, but it's the best week she's had in years after an initial flair up like that.

Very encouraging!!

Glad to hear she's better.
It's a serious subject, so I'll tip toe around the derailment of Derier's disease........it's too big of a target for a sharpshooter, lol.

Again, on a serious note, there are many remedies to be found in your own backyard. Where do ya think all these medicines we have today originated?
The aspirin I take is a derivative of willow tree bark......salicylic acid.
Chemistry is chemistry .........BUT that's the point.
Before adding or subtracting anything to your diet, try to make sure you've thought of every interaction, whether it is with a prescription drug or a natural one, and try it in small doses at first just in case there is a bad reaction.
There are many natural remedies, too many to mention, but go slow and learn......

Huh eating healthy natural foods improves health :headscratch2:

Just prinkin' ya Blood. Glad she found something that works. I have always been a proponent of treating for tje problem( like your doing with the juice) than the symptoms( like the prednisone did). Kinda like giving kids aspirin for a fever but ignoring the infection giving it to them.

Glad to hear she's better.
It's a serious subject, so I'll tip toe around the derailment of Derier's disease........it's too big of a target for a sharpshooter, lol.

By all means...
take a bead.
:gun3:

We've been on this road for entirely too long for you to go *****-footing around what I might ought to have known 30-some years ago just for consideration of my delicate sensibilities.

I know a little about Willow & Aloe & such,
have known for a while...
and we've tried almost everything we've ever heard of.

I haven't known anything to negate Derier's like the juice we've been making.

And prescriptions were abandoned long ago, except that the Prednisone does provide relief when nothing else remains.

School me.

Just prinkin' ya Blood. Glad she found something that works. I have always been a proponent of treating for tje problem( like your doing with the juice) than the symptoms( like the prednisone did). Kinda like giving kids aspirin for a fever but ignoring the infection giving it to them.

I don't mind being prinked...
what goes around, comes around. awww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_blush.gif

Butt this is serious. awww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_angry.gif

The vid I posted is just what got me started.
The 'juice' I've been making has common weeds in it.
Come to find out, some of them were brought over on the Mayflower for the specific purpose of nutrition and medicine.

After googling Kale, I discovered that many common nuisance plants have as much or more nutrients than anything being marketed. Whats more, some have medicinal properties that were touted in journals before my grandparents were born and they were brought over for that purpose.

I'm all ears....
awww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_shy.gif

I have a friend (salt of the earth) who has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for years...
to the point where she has given up on modern medicine and quit her prescriptions.

I intend to consume poke berries, once they propagate, at an increasing rate until I'm confident that they won't harm her before recommending them. The seeds (and roots) are supposedly toxic but some old-timers claim that the seeds won't harm you unless you chew them to release the toxins. And the berries are acclaimed to relieve that condition.

Anybody know different??

I have a strong metabolism so I don't mind guinea-pigging for potential benefits.

I've been on a bonus round for 40+ years...
and I'll **** on your grave...
with all due respect.
OR NOT!!
awww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_wink.gif

Poke Sallet Annie...

awww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_blush.gifawww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_angry.gifawww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_shy.gifawww.ooida.com__forum_images_icon_smile_wink.gif

Old Timer around here was commenting when I told him and said you need to boil it three times. Boil, drain, boil, drain, boil eat. Asked about washing out the properties people eat it for he said "That's to get it to a level that won't kill you".

For what it's worth.

By all means...
take a bead.
:gun3:

We've been on this road for entirely too long for you to go *****-footing around what I might ought to have known 30-some years ago just for consideration of my delicate sensibilities.

I know a little about Willow & Aloe & such,
have known for a while...
and we've tried almost everything we've ever heard of.

I haven't known anything to negate Derier's like the juice we've been making.

And prescriptions were abandoned long ago, except that the Prednisone does provide relief when nothing else remains.

School me.

No, no, no.
There's no funnin' around when it comes to somebody or their family when they're sick......even if I do like the name Derrière's disease. THAT one can be used at the truck stop buffet some other time when "tiny" waddles in...........

But THIS is what you're talking about, I had to look it up.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darier's_disease

It looks like a genetic disease when two recessive genes are present, meaning you can have the gene, but it only flares up when the both parents have it and it passes to the child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoids

The second link is from the first. Basically vitamin A helps a lot, just can't get too high a dose or you'll get bigger problems, like kidney failure.

Start there with foods that have a lot of vitamin A and gradually see what works and what doesn't. You've already found a few, so just keep going.
Here's the top ten.......

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-vitamin-A.php

Old Timer around here was commenting when I told him and said you need to boil it three times. Boil, drain, boil, drain, boil eat. Asked about washing out the properties people eat it for he said "That's to get it to a level that won't kill you".

For what it's worth.

From what I've read it only needs blanched after it shows red in the stalks or veins.
Young(ish) greens can be eaten after rinsing.

I suppose the toxicity varies according to your metabolism.
I'd probably do ok compared to most.
Poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc has never bothered me at all, but if my wife gets downwind of a brush-fire she's laid up for days.

I've been to scout camp before when there were only a coupla-few of us that weren't riddled with rashes. For weeks afterward, everybody else at the meetings looked like they were doing bizzaro Al Jolson what with calamine lotion on every visible spot of flesh. :alien:

The only thing I've ever had a reaction to is silk.
The tags on clothing drive me insane and my flesh rotted away around silk sutures the only time I've had them. Doctors laugh when I tell them I'm allergic to silk sutures. I always have to tell them, "SERIOUSLY! USE CATGUT!"

Define healthy...
AND natural.

Garden is better than frozen.
Frozen is better than canned.
Almost none of it is what it used to be.

Healthy & natural as in honey & locust like John the Baptist?
Or healthy & natural as in MSG laden veggies from cancerous-lined tins?
Or the proprietary genetically modified crap that Monsanto, Archer-Daniels Midland, et al are seeding the world with?

You missed out on the great aquaponics adventure that I endeavored upon after you bailed from the home ship. It wasn't really successful but I learned quite a bit.
I'd like to be doing more of that now but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

My mom's parents used to can all their veggies from a truck garden.
I've taken to trying gardening again in recent years but I probably couldn't live a month on everything I produce in a year...
And I don't really trust "certified organic" any more than I trust Con-Agra to deliver quality groceries.

Dandelion & some of the other 'greens' (read weeds) I've been reading up on have attributes that I haven't find in any other 'food'.
One attribute is a fat blocker.

Fatback, lard or bacon grease was a required ingredient in the greens that my grandparents ate. I always thought that they metabolized all that grease by working like rented mules, hence their longevity in spite of their backwoods diet.
but it turns out that maybe certain greens just cancel out the fat they used to cook everything.

I tried some 'greasy greens' last week.
Greens fried up with bacon grease...
It was tolerable, not exactly tasty though.
But it woulda probably tasted pretty good after spending a winter with nothing fresh.

No, no, no.
There's no funnin' around when it comes to somebody or their family when they're sick......even if I do like the name Derrière's disease. THAT one can be used at the truck stop buffet some other time when "tiny" waddles in...........

But THIS is what you're talking about, I had to look it up.......

Oh,
You were just funnin' about the name,
'cause it looks something like derrieres.

Damn,
I thought you were holding back on some stuff you knew that would merely make me look ignorant.
That's why I told you to take a bead.
Ignorance is no crime.
Not being willing to admit ignorance is stupidity,
stupidity a bane upon humanity.

The weeds I've been looking into are loaded with A, C, and K.
As well as a couple of things I have never heard of.
And as far as I've seen so far, aren't mentioned in any 'modern' food.

"There's no fool like an old fool"
but then again, he DID manage to grow old, so who knows? :stare1:

To say that I'm cautiously optimistic would be an understatement.
We have been here before, several times.
She has been to, maybe, 20 doctors over the years.
Now n then she would get a script for something that did wonders...
for a minute.

She has stuff in the cupboard from as much as 20 years back just so we wouldn't forget what worked one time.
A couple of things worked a second or even a third time over the years.
Nothing has worked consistently, or really even erratically well over the years.

Consuming weeds has provided the most dramatic results I've seen in 15 or 20 years.

Still a little shy of two weeks,
but it is an absolute joy to watch.
She loves flowers and plants of all types and she'll work her garden and flower beds until she is nearly bed-ridden.

A couple of persistent rashes ranging from slight to severe that she has had for years have all but disappeared.

AWESOME!!

More than a month now...
still working,
and working WELL!!

Her skin condition continues to improve although she has had some blistering on her feet and hands,
still nothing like we've come to expect for this time of year even though she has been working outdoors more than she has in years.

I've been half-assed partaking in sympathy and I feel better than I have in quite a while.
My hair is thicker, I'm working longer with less fatigue and I've grown an inch...
I think I'm a little taller too. ;)

AND I inadvertently stopped drinking (up until now).

You moyer-foyers better start loading armor-piercing rounds if you wanna stand half a chance of stopping me.
:pickle:

If my legs weren't chilled, I'd toss this lap-quilt off and whip all y'alls asses right here n NOW!!
;)

Seriously,
read up on it. :cool:

Holding steady.

The blistering continues but not nearly as bad as in recent years.
Plus, the blisters are nearly healing before they reappear.
Before this year she would get blisters stacking up until her feet were a mangled mess of raw tissue.

AND she is still spending time in the garden and flowerbed every day.

This is miraculous!!!

Awesome dude. I am glad you found something that works. And it is your control not some adjuster or doctor's. I read some where once that a school in Istanbul used to send their prospective graduates out on a mission to find one plant with.no medicinal qualities at all.

The graduates came back empty handed.

Post the preperation of your concoction if you do not mind.

Post the preperation of your concoction if you do not mind.

The original was Kale (cabbage family) & spinach, a LOT of it!!
It doesn't make a helluva lot of juice so a grocery bag full would make maybe a pint.
Ginger root. A hunk about the size of your thumb to the first knuckle.
Jalapeno. just one or two small peppers.
Garlic, just a small clove.
Carrots, a pound or so. They make lots of juice.
Celery. a stalk or half a stalk. They make a lot of juice too and carrots/celery have been omitted a couple of times with no apparent reduction of results.

The previous batch had a lot of Dandelions, greens, roots, flowers, the whole thing.
After reading about Dandelion, I was convinced that it contained most of the remedy but it was omitted from the current batch and she doesn't seem to miss it.
It is horrid stuff to drink anyway. YUCK!!
Butt she has been taking Dandelion root supplements from Puritan's Pride since we used up the batch of juice so...??

She takes several supplements and has for a while now,
long enough to know that they had no effect on the Darier's .

But she has gotten some results in other areas.
I use readers for anything closer than 3 feet from my face and she used to as well.
While I've graduated from 1.50 strength to 2.0, she has all but eliminated the need for them.
She doesn't use them at all anymore except on something like a phone book.

She tries to get me to take them but I can't maintain any sort of consistency with that kind of thing.
If I had too take a daily pill to stay alive I'd probably be dead within a week.

I haven't messed with the poke sallet yet but it's interesting to observe.
Some of it is waste high with hardly a hint of red.
Some of it is only 6 or 8 inches and it's totally crimson.
Very curious.
I'm assuming that it's needs to be harvested young to be palatable but maybe not.
I might pluck some this weekend but I wouldn't have a point of reference since I've never had it before.

I'm telling you guys,
this stuff is the holy grail!!

We've been able to grow and harvest our own kale and peppers for the last several weeks.
A coupla of weeks ago she started feeling run down and her eyes were red and swelling.
It was a marked difference, very noticable but there had been some changes in her work schedule along with more physically intense tasks so I chalked it up to that.

One night, after a few days of being miserable she says, MAN!! I need to make more juice!
We had gotten into such a habit of having it that it didn't even occur to me that she would do without.
Anyway, long story short, the symptoms started within a coupla days after she ran out...
and disappeared the day we made a fresh batch!!

The most frustrating thing about having good news is that nobody wants to hear it!!'
I've been pimping this stuff to everybody I know that might possibly benefit from it.
I know one guy who has to lay off work a coupla days every few weeks,
gets shots for allergies,
sometimes at the ER it gets so bad.
I offered him a jar of ready-made elixir of life!!
FREE!!

He looked it over and handed it back...
"I better not. I might be allergic to something in there."

I said, "YOU STUPID SONOFA...:mad:
WTF IS WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN??:confused-96:
FINE!! DIE THEN!! :(
DUMB PRICK!!" o_O
:confused-96:
:stare1:
I think my exact words were, "Oh, whatever you think, I guess"
:throwfit:

And in case I didn't mention it before,
she doesn't drink liters n liters per week of this stuff.
We usually make 2-3 pints on the weekend.
She drinks a 2-4 oz shooter in the morning before coffee.
That's it!
I do about the same every other day or so.

Good deal. Hey how's the rectal/cranial inversion stuff going.:bootyshake:

Had this knife in my shoulder blades since tackling a cow couple weeks back. Saw one of those tables on CL and thought I might try it. Wife said I am just getting it to be kinky:eek:

My parents have got on to the juicing thing. I see a difference even if they don't. Way more energy. They enjoy it though, They must be feeling somewhat better or they would have given it up long ago.

And in case I didn't mention it before,
she doesn't drink liters n liters per week of this stuff.
We usually make 2-3 pints on the weekend.
She drinks a 2-4 oz shooter in the morning before coffee.
That's it!
I do about the same every other day or so.

Good to hear it's working. I had to dose myself with honey again this week when I started sneezing and realized it had been months since I had any, lol.

Good deal. Hey how's the rectal/cranial inversion stuff going.:bootyshake:

Had this knife in my shoulder blades since tackling a cow couple weeks back. Saw one of those tables on CL and thought I might try it. Wife said I am just getting it to be kinky:eek:

It's going well.
I only use it a couple of times per week and only for 5 minutes or so at a time...
but it does the job.
Some users claim 30 minutes daily but I don't see how that can be good for you.
I read a bunch of reviews and one doctor claimed that he got ruptured vessels behind his eyes.
You'd think a doctor would have enough sense to ease up when the pressure makes it uncomfortable
(which he said it did).

Two years ago in June I rented a scooter for my wife at Disney world.
After a week of traveling and walking, she simply couldn't do it any longer.
Although she insisted she could. o_O
Feet & legs bound up like a mummy, could barely move without wincing.

A year ago about this time I had to cut her wedding ring off with a pair of nippers.
We were about to go to the ER because her hands were swollen too badly to get it off...
and her finger was changing colors.

Despite our aversion to hospitals we were saddling up when I reluctantly told her that they almost certainly wouldn't be able to give her anything that worked fast enough to avoid cutting the ring off...
and it has to come off NOW.

She cried...
pretty hard.
Somehow, her allergies partly transferred to me in the process because my eyes started watering like crazy. :cautious:

THIS YEAR she crabs about a little rash on her leg after working outdoors all day. :biggrin-2:

This is a BIG DEAL people... :yahoo:

Tell your friends. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread