• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Elds and driver shortage to drive up cost of meat says Tyson

It may or may not drive up the cost of meat. There are other meat packers out there.
I have not had any dealings with Tyson but from what I have been told is they have zero respect for drivers/equipment time in detention.
Tyson will have to tighten up their loading/unloading times.

ELDs may hurt Tyson more than they hurt drivers or the consumer. Tyson needs to wake up before someone takes their place.

I thought the whole point of a reefer was to preserve the meat. So they're FoS on that point and just wanted an excuse to raise prices.

Just like how gas prices go up every time a Saudi sheik sneezes.
Unlike the oil cartels that price fix, I am sure Cargill will be more than happy to take over Tysons market share.

It may or may not drive up the cost of meat. There are other meat packers out there.
I have not had any dealings with Tyson but from what I have been told is they have zero respect for drivers/equipment time in detention.
Tyson will have to tighten up their loading/unloading times.

ELDs may hurt Tyson more than they hurt drivers or the consumer. Tyson needs to wake up before someone takes their place.
I think they're mainly referring to the livestock haulers. there's no way that they will be able to follow the ELD mandate. When summer finally gets here and everybody wants their steaks to grill I don't think there will be enough trucks to go around. Let alone trucks that can make it to their appointments on time.

Tyson was just looking for a reason to raise prices that the masses would swallow,

companies are always looking for a way to raise prices examples, lumber doubled after Katrina due to shortages, never went down after the shortage

beef went up because of a shortage, never went down

gravel and sand went up due to high fuel prices never went down

plastics is another one that went up due to high oil prices along with fertilizer costs due to high natural gas prices and NEVER WENT DOWN

you name it anything you can think of companies will use a temporary price increase due to some shortage event to permanently raise prices it is the way that companies can justify an otherwise unjustifiable increase in their probucts.

here is one that hits close to home that truckers should recognize when the high price of crude hit engine oil hit triple digit increases back before the increase rotella was a few bucks a gallon so what have you been paying lately?

Unlike the oil cartels that price fix, I am sure Cargill will be more than happy to take over Tysons market share.
it's not just Tyson that's experiencing this. companies that I work with are running into the same Jam. We are repeatedly seeing hi dollar rates thrown at us in the hopper bottom world especially towards the weekends. Trucks are scarce and it's nothing to see 4 to $5 a mile to get their feed or grain moved. The problem is the market cannot support a consistent rate of 4 to $5 per mile. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the high rates but they are being passed on to the consumer. how much can the consumer take?

it's not just Tyson that's experiencing this. companies that I work with are running into the same Jam. We are repeatedly seeing hi dollar rates thrown at us in the hopper bottom world especially towards the weekends. Trucks are scarce and it's nothing to see 4 to $5 a mile to get their feed or grain moved. The problem is the market cannot support a consistent rate of 4 to $5 per mile. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the high rates but they are being passed on to the consumer. how much can the consumer take?
So... you'd prefer to work for bottom feeder rates?

We've been providing a subsidy to the consumer for years. Everyone complains that trucking has been a race to the bottom, and that today's trucker is being screwed compared to the truckers of the 60s and 70s.

Well tough ****ing titty. It's about ****ing time Mr and Mrs Consumer started paying the true cost of their bloated lifestyle.

You can feel sorry for the cheap bastards. I don't.

We've been providing a subsidy to the consumer for years. Everyone complains that trucking has been a race to the bottom, and that today's trucker is being screwed compared to the truckers of the 60s and 70s.

Well tough ****ing titty. It's about ****ing time Mr and Mrs Consumer started paying the true cost of their bloated lifestyle.

He didn't say or even remotely imply that he'd rather work for bottom feeder rates...in fact he explicitly stated the opposite.

And you're a consumer too. We are all consumers who benefit from the "trucker subsidy."

I don't think Mr & Mrs consumer begrudge a fair wage for the most part.
And as stated before, much of the revenue in this industry is artificially deflated.

I always think of the 'penny a pound' movement that tomato pickers in Fl had several years ago.
They said a penny per pound increase would move them from subsistence wages to a living wage.
Yum-Yum foods (et al) were having a damn fit over it but when the pickers went public instead of boycotting and negotiating they started gathering steam and eventually got the raise.

I like the example because it's easy to apply directly to our lives.
How many taco bell taco's does a pound of tomatoes cover?
Probably 15 - 20...
that a penny.
One damn penny.

How many burgers get a slice from 1 pound of tomatoes?
Maybe 10?
Penny a piece.

If taco's go from .89 to .90 I'm not going to storm out in a huff...
I'll just walk around and troll the drive-through for dropped change!!
:biggrin-2:

Give the people their damn penny and get crackin' on that taco, Jack!
I ain't got all damn day!!
:mad-97:

Same thing with a lot of staples and freight in general.
Penny a pound on 40k of flour or sugar is $400.
I'm sorry Tiny Tim...
Flour jumped from $1.19 to $1.24 per bag.
There ain't gonna be any Christmas this year.
:frown:

DAMN GREEDY TRUCKERS!!

He didn't say or even remotely imply that he'd rather work for bottom feeder rates...in fact he explicitly stated the opposite.

And you're a consumer too. We are all consumers who benefit from the "trucker subsidy."
Tyson is bitching because their quarterly bottom line is impacted. The fact is paying the true cost of transportation isn't going to raise the cost if food that much. Paying for the grossly inflated cost of big business profits will.

Tyson is *****ing because their quarterly bottom line is impacted. The fact is paying the true cost of transportation isn't going to raise the cost if food that much. Paying for the grossly inflated cost of big business profits will.
Either way it will be passed on to the consumer. My heart does not bleed for Tyson or any of the big boys. Just stating that it's questionable what freight price the market that can bear.

Same thing with a lot of staples and freight in general.
Penny a pound on 40k of flour or sugar is $400.
I'm sorry Tiny Tim...
Flour jumped from $1.19 to $1.24 per bag.
There ain't gonna be any Christmas this year.
:frown:

DAMN GREEDY TRUCKERS!!

so if a penny a lb gives the truck an extra $400.00 you got to to wander who pockets the other $1600.00 in your example

so if a penny a lb gives the truck an extra $400.00 you got to to wander who pockets the other $1600.00 in your example

I was assuming 5 pound bags...
But I did screw up the other example when I said 10 slices from 1 pound would be a penny a piece (instead of 1/10).
I apologize for any distress caused by my lackadaisical attitude.
😊
Also...
I been sick...
Pink
🤤

I was assuming 5 pound bags...
But I did screw up the other example when I said 10 slices from 1 pound would be a penny a piece (instead of 1/10).
I apologize for any distress caused by my lackadaisical attitude.
😊
Also...
I been sick...
Pink
🤤
You got a pass on th' physical side. Th' mental side is still suspect.

From yahoo finance,
A new government regulation for drivers and truck availability are pushing up freight costs at JM Smucker Co (SJM.N). “We anticipate inflationary pressures likely to cause upward price movements in a variety of categories,” Chief Financial Officer Mark Belgya said last week at an analyst conference.

U.S. truck fleets have not kept pace with growing demand for different reasons, industry executives said. The April 1 enforcement deadline for a federal regulation requiring drivers to electronically log their hours has effectively curtailed capacity, adding to a chronic shortage of people willing to drive trucks for the wages offered.

Full story
Corporate America’s new dilemma: raising prices to cover higher transport costs

So funny. I love these stories. They refuse to raise driver wages and refuse to do anything about detaining drivers for hours and hours and hours. That’s not the problem! No sir!!!! Lol. It’s not an ELD problem. We had our hand forced in 2012 to go on ELD. You can still make on time delivery and pick ups.... when the warehouses work with you to get you in and out in a timely matter. Not sitting you for hours and hours. There wouldn’t be a “driver shortage” of the driver mills actually trained people how to be truck drivers instead of steering wheel holders. And treat drivers with some small amount of decorum instead of scumbags. Not saying there’s no scumbag drivers. But they really do create their own problems when they reach for the lowest common denominator to pay less than minimum wage. I’m so happy about ELDs. The chickens are coming home to roost for the rest of the industry while making it better for the drivers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread