Do I have any hope?

Stetler

Hello all. First post here.

My best friend just finished CDL school and we were about to go run teams for USX. In the process of the recruiting phase, I was informed that something appeared on my MVR of which I was unaware. In April last year I ran over my 2 year old son's foot, because my wife had let the little guy out of the house unbeknownst to me as I was leaving for work (non-driving job, btw). It appeared that he was okay, but we wanted to be sure, so she took him to the hospital to get x-ray'd and after him being admitted to ER, the nurse informed my wife that the city of Memphis had a law that said any ER visit of a child requires a police report. Odd that this should happen to us, because we don't let these kids out of our sight normally - basically, my son would have cried loudly and awakened his big sister who was still asleep in the house if he had seen mommy go outside and secure the door behind her where he couldn't have followed her out. Why she didn't just pick him up and carry him, I'll never know.

Well, there were no tickets issued, but they did contact the DCS --- making us feel like awful parents when in fact my wife and I pretty well coddle these kids; we practice "attachment parenting." So the irony in this is just ridiculous. The lady that came out from the DCS actually apologized for intruding on us because she said that the things that come across her desk make our incident pale in comparison to what she is normally required to deal with.

I'm not mitigating or diminishing the incident. My little guy could have been killed and it would have been his parents' fault. My wife is almost paranoid about having grumpy kids, and so she is a huge stickler for the kids getting their necessary sleep. Of course, her inflexibility on this caused a near tragedy. Obviously, I scolded her for this because I had no way of knowing that he had gotten outside, and where he was situated, I couldn't see with my mirror to the outside tire of my dually.

The bottom line is, I went to orientation thinking everything was peachy and today was my first day there. This incident got me yanked out of class today by a phone call from the head of driver recruiting at USX informing me that my application got rejected from the lovely folks at their safety department. So my best friend has opted to resign from USX (he went to orientation last week) and go to a regional company and be home on the weekend instead of trying to make the big $$ teaming with USX that we were anticipating.

My last verifiable experience was 17 months and it ended in 2013 with an oilfield services company. The rest of the time I was oilfield is non-verifiable because the second company for whom I worked is no longer in business.

I went to driving school in early 2012. Other than that incident last year, my MVR is totally clean. I'm not in this for the long haul. I wanted to bang out another year and try to go local, or use the money I saved to put myself back into business in a former industry. I mean, let alone the fact that I don't have "recent" experience... if this is going to keep me from getting any decent job, I'm probably not interested in spending the money to go to a refresher course.

Based on y'all's experience out there with safety departments, does anyone have any good advice? If I can't team with my buddy, OTR is off the table and I will only consider regional/home weekly outfits. If I can't get that, "sayonarra" trucking industry. I'll go get a factory gig and pick up some OT and stay home.

So here are my questions:
1.) Is this incident that I have just described going to preclude me from employment with most trucking companies in the industry?
2.) Is USX unique for its stringency on safety for recruiting purposes?
3.) Is their stringency (as I perceive it, at least) due to the fact that they had a driver kill 5 students in Georgia last year and they know they have a lot of eyeballs gandering over their shoulder right now?

If it matters, I'm actually in a fairly flexible living situation and could operate out of St. Louis, Lincoln/Omaha, or Memphis/North Mississippi very easily.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm just wondering how that incident got on your MVR if there was no citation. Maybe it was filed as an accident report?

Either way, I don't think you're screwed. Just mention it next time you apply somewhere.

Get a copy of your MVR yourself, might cost a few bucks at the DMV or BMV (or whatever your state calls it) and see for yourself exactly what is on it.

Just for clarification they charged you with an accident?

If so you'll just have to disclose it prior and explain what happened to anyone you apply to. In my experience an ounce of explanation is worth a pound of surprise once your already there.

Probably better describe it as "a backing incident in which my son had minor injuries" and leave out the details unless pressed for them, instead of saying "yeah I ran over my kid". o_O

Just because you typed a whole page here explaining it to us, ... a recruiter on the phone isn't going to want to hear the whole story including details of your home life & parenting plan. If they do, then go ahead, but I wouldn't just jump in & start talking non-stop for 30 minutes on the phone.

Just for clarification they charged you with an accident?

If so you'll just have to disclose it prior and explain what happened to anyone you apply to. In my experience an ounce of explanation is worth a pound of surprise once your already there.

No, I didn't get charged with anything. The fact is, what we reported to the officer was pure speculation because I didn't even know my son was out there at the time, and my wife didn't realize he had walked behind where she was standing to even get back to the backside of the truck. We didn't see it happen. For all I know, he actually tripped over the large rock that was near where the dually tires were at and scuffed his feet that way.

There were no citations. There were no injuries. There was no damage to any property and it happened on private property in a drive way.

Last edited:
I'd go to USX and ask for a copy of what caused them to deny you.

You have that right to know where it came from.

Well like I said in the original post, the director of recruiting informed me that it came from the USX safety department. I have a copy of the police report. Heck, I had to get it and fax it to them. And, are you sure I have a right to know? They can deny me a job for any reason they see fit and as far as I know they don't have to tell me why.

If they are pulling a credit report or DAC (HireRight), it falls under the Fair Credit Reporting act.

that was the whole thing that got DAC in trouble in the first place.

DAC class action lawsuit

This would not constitute a credit report issue. There was no damage to any property, therefore no judgment of any dollar amount.

DAC is information supplied by employers. My wife and I reported this incident to the police because they were summoned by a nurse at the ER. My employer had nothing to do with this. USX got this information because when they did my background and MVR check, it came up on my MVR. I had no idea that there was anything even on my MVR. When USX informed me (last Friday) that they needed a copy of this police report, I had my (well, what was supposed to be my) teammate go fetch it for me at the courthouse in Memphis. We sent it off to USX, and this morning safety DQ'd me and my application got rejected.

So, they got it from my MVR, which I authorized them to do. There's nothing fishy about how they came by that information - at least nothing that I see.

They also did more than decline to hire you.
Once they brought you to orientation they extended an offer of employment.
Having withdrawn the offer after you were in process constitutes termination IMO.
The rules change at that point.

This would not constitute a credit report issue. There was no damage to any property, therefore no judgment of any dollar amount.

DAC is information supplied by employers. My wife and I reported this incident to the police because they were summoned by a nurse at the ER. My employer had nothing to do with this. USX got this information because when they did my background and MVR check, it came up on my MVR. I had no idea that there was anything even on my MVR. When USX informed me (last Friday) that they needed a copy of this police report, I had my (well, what was supposed to be my) teammate go fetch it for me at the courthouse in Memphis. We sent it off to USX, and this morning safety DQ'd me and my application got rejected.

So, they got it from my MVR, which I authorized them to do. There's nothing fishy about how they came by that information - at least nothing that I see.
So how did they know to ASK YOU for the police report.?

Actually they hire you while in orientation at USX. The offer is made once you are there at orientation. My best friend went through last week, and didn't get hired until late Tuesday, but started orientation on Monday morning.

These companies tend to publicly dismiss a few people in the orientation class simply to instill a sense of pride in the remaining class that they got in. Don't worry about it. Next time just copy all the incidents on your Mvr and psp on your application and forget about anything else.

DAC (hireright) does background.
Not necessarily limited to employment history.
You are entitled by law to a free copy of their data under the fair credit reporting act.

These companies tend to publicly dismiss a few people in the orientation class simply to instill a sense of pride that they got in. Don't worry about it. Next time just copy all the incidents on your Mvr and psp on your application

That's not why they dismissed me. I don't want to sound like a braggart, but I have a damn stellar work history (former Marine), never had a criminal issue, nor any other less than satisfactory mark on my record except for this.

They dismissed me because something in that report couldn't get approved by their safety department. So back to my original question...

The event that I have described... will this be a disqualifier at most companies?

DAC (hireright) does background.
Not necessarily limited to employment history.
You are entitled by law to a free copy of their data under the fair credit reporting act.
Well, I know as of last July, I had no DAC report. Oilfield service companies, (where all my driving experience was after school) do not report to DAC generally.

That's not why they dismissed me. I don't want to sound like a braggart, but I have a damn stellar work history (former Marine), never had a criminal issue, nor any other less than satisfactory mark on my record except for this.

They dismissed me because something in that report couldn't get approved by their safety department. So back to my original question...

The event that I have described... will this be a disqualifier at most companies?

And that is exactly what we are trying to get across to you....

WHAT in that report got you dismissed by the safety department?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread