CSA 2010

I normally don't talk like this but damn come goverment give us a break shit.....

According to an article I read in a trucking Mag., Driver ratings will not be generated this year. And it may take up to 2 years before we see them. As soon as I find the article I will post the name of mag. and the page number.

This is a bunch of crap. Im not trying to down the goverment, but they want all the money they can get honest, hard working folks cannot make a living anymore. Who ever thought of this shit is a douche bag and has to much time on their hands folks dont know what its like out here driving a truck. Its not a cushy job, leave us alone and let us drive....This pisses me off DAMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now tell us how you REALLY FEEL...lol....I can DEFINATELY RELATE!!!

This is a copy of a company new letter in regards to how this nonsense effects drivers/ they had ewo full pages on what it is and how it effects the companies themselves, but figure it is to long to post

CSA 2010
What the driver should know
CSA 2010 is a program designed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to better monitor safety performances of both the motor
carrier & driver. The program will be implemented starting July 2010.
What does CSA 2010 mean to drivers?
CSA 2010 replaces SafeStat and not only is the motor carrier scored on roadside/scale house violations, out of services and accidents but
so are the drivers. Drivers will have their own safety measurement score and if a certain percentile is reached an intervention process will
began. The intervention process can include placing the driver as “unfit to operate/suspend operation”.
Yes, this means points are assigned to you and you get your OWN safety score and it WILL affect whether or not you are able to operate a
commercial motor vehicle.
The program scores all violations/out of services deemed drivers responsibility and DOT recordable crashes the driver has been involved in
within the last two years. It then calculates a point total for each incident and together totals the score and ranks it against other drivers.
This process will happen monthly. Let’s look at it like a traffic light. Every month roadsides and accidents which you were involved in will be
looked at and calculated. If your percentile is in the normal range you will remain green “good to go”. If your percentile requires intervention
then corrective action will be taken and you’ll be in the yellow range “caution”. If corrective actions have been unsuccessful and your actions
continue to remain unsafe or high risk then you will be placed Red “stop- unfit suspend”. *The percentile ranges have not been set. Once all
carriers and drivers are calculated than an average will be reached and percentiles will be assigned.
This system is also able to be viewed by any motor carrier you may apply with. If you leave your current leased on motor carrier and apply for
another carrier they will see what has been assigned to you within the last 24 months regardless of which carrier you were under and it can
be part of their decision in your application process.
We highly recommend you attend a company safety meeting or visit the CSA 2010 website (Your Role

Couple this with the new health regs being proposed, and, soon you'll have to be a physically fit saint to drive a truck.

Where is Jimmy Hoffa when you need him?

If getting ill is a level ten, I probably should have never driven in my life because these people who think of this make me ill.

147 Points for a bad pigtail

Three days ago, I was driving in South Carolina behind another company driver (at night) and talking to him on my cellphone. Yes, with a bluetooth headset. As we were passing exit 139 on I-26, I saw his trailer lights flicker and then go out. Neither of us saw the SCDOT car which was parked on the on-ramp. As my friend pulled over onto the shoulder, the blue lights came on.
He stopped, (I kept going, no sense in asking for trouble, right?) plugged in his pigtail which had come loose, and walked back to meet the officer.
The SCDOT officer wrote him a citation not just for a faulty connector, but for the lights being out, a total of 147 points on his record.
Yes, it will be abused.
He didn't get fired pending his appeal, but if his appeal fails he will become unemployable with that many points on his record.
If he'd been DUI, it would have been only 30 points.
So much for getting the unsafe drivers off of the road.
He and I are carpooling this weekend on a non-driving job search.

Three days ago, I was driving in South Carolina behind another company driver (at night) and talking to him on my cellphone. Yes, with a bluetooth headset. As we were passing exit 139 on I-26, I saw his trailer lights flicker and then go out. Neither of us saw the SCDOT car which was parked on the on-ramp. As my friend pulled over onto the shoulder, the blue lights came on.
He stopped, (I kept going, no sense in asking for trouble, right?) plugged in his pigtail which had come loose, and walked back to meet the officer.
The SCDOT officer wrote him a citation not just for a faulty connector, but for the lights being out, a total of 147 points on his record.
Yes, it will be abused.
He didn't get fired pending his appeal, but if his appeal fails he will become unemployable with that many points on his record.
If he'd been DUI, it would have been only 30 points.
So much for getting the unsafe drivers off of the road.
He and I are carpooling this weekend on a non-driving job search.

I agree that this new system has some major issues.

But where are you getting the points for these violations? According to the CSA 2010 website, the points assessed for violations range from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst. The most recent violations (in the 0 to 6 month range) have a multiplier of 3. A DUI in any vehicle for a CDL driver is 10 points, and if that violation is recent then it will be 30 points, but that driver won't be driving anyway because they usually suspend your driving privilege for 6 months when you get popped for DUI.

The highest points for inoperable lighting is 6. Multiplied by 3 equals 18. So how did this get to 147 points? There has to be more to the story here.

I also don't get why the cop was acting so unreasonably. It has been my experience that with the right attitude a driver can usually get off with a warning.

And if it were me, I would be fighting the citation.

I agree that this new system has some major issues.

But where are you getting the points for these violations? According to the CSA 2010 website, the points assessed for violations range from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst. The most recent violations (in the 0 to 6 month range) have a multiplier of 3. A DUI in any vehicle for a CDL driver is 10 points, and if that violation is recent then it will be 30 points, but that driver won't be driving anyway because they usually suspend your driving privilege for 6 months when you get popped for DUI.

The highest points for inoperable lighting is 6. Multiplied by 3 equals 18. So how did this get to 147 points? There has to be more to the story here.

I also don't get why the cop was acting so unreasonably. It has been my experience that with the right attitude a driver can usually get off with a warning.

And if it were me, I would be fighting the citation.

Maybe he hit the cop car,,, or the cop

The DOT officer wrote him up for each individual light. Somehow the total hit 49 points, which gives him 147 points for the first year.
The officer should have limited it to the pigtail only, as the lights were out as a result of the pigtail problem. I'll post a scan of the paperwork as soon as I get a copy.
I think that this was probably a result of poor training of the DOT officer, not malice.

The DOT officer wrote him up for each individual light. Somehow the total hit 49 points, which gives him 147 points for the first year.
The officer should have limited it to the pigtail only, as the lights were out as a result of the pigtail problem. I'll post a scan of the paperwork as soon as I get a copy.
I think that this was probably a result of poor training of the DOT officer, not malice.

I still think your co-worker should fight it. It sounds completely unreasonable.

He will.

He's going to file an appeal.
Without any help from the company, which is filing it's own appeal.
So he's on his own.

the company i drive for has let go over 50 of their drivers from the home terminal. lots of messages are being sent about being caught doing over 55mph in commiefornia and/or oregon, or getting a ticket for not wearing your seat belt. many drivers have gotten the axe due to those two things. it doesn't matter how shit-hot you are at this company, if you feck up, you're going to be out of a job for some time. with the massive pool of CDL holders who aren't yet employed and have a clean record, the person who received their walking papers will have a very difficult time finding a truck driving job once their points have rolled off.

i am happy that i am done with all this bullshit come mid-febraury. finally going back to school and into something that is growing rather than downsizing.

Okay, all this talk about what can affect a CDL... but what about a delivery position requiring just an operator's license to drive a company car or van? Can you get a job with a safety belt violation on your record?

Okay, all this talk about what can affect a CDL... but what about a delivery position requiring just an operator's license to drive a company car or van? Can you get a job with a safety belt violation on your record?
What?
Yes, if that's the only charge.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are, Four Wheels?

I am 52 years old and in all those years have only received a written warning for exceeding the speed limit (at the same time the safety belt violation was so graciously given to me) and a verbal warning for a license plate light being out. However, there were 2 other safety belt violation tickets after the first one...

It should not pose a problem for you. Get a current copy of your MVR. If your potential employer requires a 3 year MVR that's what you provide...
Best of luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread