Coyote Ugly

rebel

Well known, by a few
Premium
I've noticed more news lately from all over about coyotes getting more populated and aggressive, And they aren't dumb either. Sneaky little S.O.B's.

Not exactly for the Pet Forum, but coyotes DO include them on THEIR menus.

Probably won't run into many on the road, but y'all do have homesteads.

Coyotes kill Toronto singer in Cape Breton - Nova Scotia - CBC News

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/20/oakville-girl-chased-bit-by-coyote

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ds-coyotes-wolf-virginia-dna-animals-science/

Summer of 2008 I was home 3 nights in a row.

First night, 2:20 AM. Dog goes nuts. It was her distinctive "go away stranger" bark, not her usual "LEMME THE **** IN I'M BORED OUT HERE" bark.
I go outside, armed, to investigate. Coyotes had her surrounded about 50 yards from the house. I couldn't tell what was coyote and what was border collie. So I fired 3 rounds into the dirt. Coyotes ran off, dog ran up to me.

Second night, same as the first except it was 2:19 instead of 2:20AM.

Third night. I was waiting silently in the dark with my Thompson knockoff, loaded with a 30 round magazine. The dog was tied up as bait in the same spot in the yard, and I was watching for her ears to go up and the whining and nervous pacing to start. I slowly crept to the doorway. Soon I heard the barking and yelping noises from the coyotes, then the pitter-patter of lots of paws on the gravel while the dog was growling and showing her teeth and backed up as far as the leash would let her go. Then the dog went nuts with the barking, and the coyotes headed towards her.

Well I was a terrible shot in the dark. I unloaded half that magazine and only dropped 3 of them. The rest of them ran off but I didn't see or hear another coyote around here for 2 years. Now they're back in the area. My neighbor says he chased one until it died last fall with his quad, and I also spooked one out of the weeds by the creek and it was big like a wolf. Probably inter-bred with dogs. I didn't give chase because I had Sarah on the back, but I kept up with it for a bit.

One of these days I'm gonna have to get a couple of buddies over so we can hunt a few of them down. Problem is, I don't have any friends around here who can REMAIN SOBER long enough to handle loaded firearms.

Yeah, I like a sober person holding a firearm. It cuts down on the accidents.

On the site where I pick up a lot of this info, one person was talking about how "playful" this lone coyote was being near her dog. She watched this for a few minutes and called her dog back and the coyote stayed at the edge of the woods.
Several people told her this was a lure. They're known to get a dog off in the woods and the rest of the pack ambushes them. even a big dog has little chance.

Yeah, I like a sober person holding a firearm. It cuts down on the accidents.

On the site where I pick up a lot of this info, one person was talking about how "playful" this lone coyote was being near her dog. She watched this for a few minutes and called her dog back and the coyote stayed at the edge of the woods.
Several people told her this was a lure. They're known to get a dog off in the woods and the rest of the pack ambushes them. even a big dog has little chance.

A while back we were sitting at some friends houses when we heard yelping and howling from the woods. Our friends told us it was the noise the coyotes make after they kill something. The deer near this area aren't small, and it sounded like a pretty big pack. Spooky stuff.

I do think more about this now with the woods and swamp behind the new place. A while back I took a walk back by the stream and saw HUGE deer tracks leading up to the stream. Once there was a HUGE brood of turkeys strolling across the yard pretty as you please. No reason not to think there aren't bear and coyotes just 20 yards behind my house also...

at one time we were getting overrun by coyotes. i havent seen any that looked like hybrids but you know they are mating with dogs. we have thinned them out a lot. there not as plentyful as they once were but there still here. they are very intelligent animals and if you shoot at one and miss, you very seldom get a second shot. i havent seen any that seemed aggressive, mostly shy. but if you were in the woods and they were hungry.....who knows.

I didn't realize coyotes were a real danger to humans but I see they have killed someone....

Hope Pete don't get bit.....coyote would be drunk for a week.

I saw this post this morning and it got me in the mood to try out a sniper rifle I bought 3 or 4 month ago so I am now at home, got a hunt set up for tomorrow and best of all its going to warm to the 40's tomorrow.
I have a friend that farms and last year we set on his deck with a spotting scope and a few .308 hunting rifles and picked off 5 of the little bastards between 1 and 200 yards, my new rifle is in .223 but with a bull barrel and custom loaded ammo so we are going to stake out a few hens at a measured 300 yards and see how many we can pick off.
the beauty is there are a group of farmers in the area that got together and pay a $10.00 bounty for each head,it ain't much but it pays for the ammo!!!

Summer of 2008 I was home 3 nights in a row.

First night, 2:20 AM. Dog goes nuts. It was her distinctive "go away stranger" bark, not her usual "LEMME THE **** IN I'M BORED OUT HERE" bark.
I go outside, armed, to investigate. Coyotes had her surrounded about 50 yards from the house. I couldn't tell what was coyote and what was border collie. So I fired 3 rounds into the dirt. Coyotes ran off, dog ran up to me.

Second night, same as the first except it was 2:19 instead of 2:20AM.

Third night. I was waiting silently in the dark with my Thompson knockoff, loaded with a 30 round magazine. The dog was tied up as bait in the same spot in the yard, and I was watching for her ears to go up and the whining and nervous pacing to start. I slowly crept to the doorway. Soon I heard the barking and yelping noises from the coyotes, then the pitter-patter of lots of paws on the gravel while the dog was growling and showing her teeth and backed up as far as the leash would let her go. Then the dog went nuts with the barking, and the coyotes headed towards her.

Well I was a terrible shot in the dark. I unloaded half that magazine and only dropped 3 of them. The rest of them ran off but I didn't see or hear another coyote around here for 2 years. Now they're back in the area. My neighbor says he chased one until it died last fall with his quad, and I also spooked one out of the weeds by the creek and it was big like a wolf. Probably inter-bred with dogs. I didn't give chase because I had Sarah on the back, but I kept up with it for a bit.

One of these days I'm gonna have to get a couple of buddies over so we can hunt a few of them down. Problem is, I don't have any friends around here who can REMAIN SOBER long enough to handle loaded firearms.

You should try one or two of these out: The Collarum, Humane Canine Capture Trap

They make coyote specific snares that are designed to catch small canine animals, and are very effective.

I own one that is designed to catch, but not kill a dog. I used to have a neighbor who had a number of Rottweiler dogs, and she would let them run the neighborhood. One in particular kept coming on my porch and defecating, and harassed my dog. I asked her to restrain her dogs, and she was quite rude to me and said that she didn't let her dogs run loose.

After I caught the dog I turned him over to the county animal control agency. Because the animal was not licensed the woman had to pay a fine, license the dog and have the animal neutered.

She was not happy.

That last link that rebel provided seems kinda scary. Wolves and coyotes mating......seems dangerous. If deer are hunted to help dwindle down their population every season, then why aren't coyotes allowed to be hunted? The same goes for wild pigs/boars. If there are animals roaming around in packs that are too dangerous, then the logical thing is to allow hunting. Why wait until more people are killed in attacks?

i would think that a wolf/coyote mix could be a very dangerous animal. a coyoye is very smart and a wolf aint dumb either. two or three together could probably take down anything they wanted.

That's the first couple coyote attacks on people I've ever heard of. It is very true they are becoming more and more bold around people and domestic dogs, I've seen it first hand. I've gone eye to eye with one a couple years ago, we surprised each other, and at around 10-20 feet apart, stood there eyeballing each other. I've had them use themselves as bait trying to get my dogs in the woods where they'd no doubt become food. Thing is, Pharphul, at 110+ could put up quite a fight, one to one that is, but the coyotes are acting more wolf like in that they're packing up to hunt together.
The article about the wolf/coyote hybrids surprised me. For years we thought they hated each other, and you would have either wolves or coyotes in an area, not both, let alone cross breed.
We have pretty much open season on them here, and their fur can make a very nice pelt if they're caught at the prime time. They really are a beautiful animal, smart, and stealthy, but becoming dangerous as well. Oh well, as man keeps moving into "their" backyard, I'm afraid there may be more attacks coming.

i dont think they like each other but when one comes in heat...well...love knows no boundaries. its the same with dogs.

In my state (Wisconsin) coyote are considered a nuisance animal, and can be killed year round, without license.

Anyone else have this?

at one time we were getting overrun by coyotes. i havent seen any that looked like hybrids but you know they are mating with dogs. we have thinned them out a lot. there not as plentyful as they once were but there still here. they are very intelligent animals and if you shoot at one and miss, you very seldom get a second shot. i havent seen any that seemed aggressive, mostly shy. but if you were in the woods and they were hungry.....who knows.

Coydogs are what they're called when they interbreed with dogs. A coyote is kind of a small canine, about 40 lbs or so. So if you see one that's bigger, it's half dog. The problem with coydogs is they have both the wild predatory instincts of the coyote, but they're not as afraid of humans. That's what makes them dangerous and they should be killed on sight, ... just as soon as you can be sure it's not somebody's dog that got loose.

That last link that rebel provided seems kinda scary. Wolves and coyotes mating......seems dangerous. If deer are hunted to help dwindle down their population every season, then why aren't coyotes allowed to be hunted? The same goes for wild pigs/boars. If there are animals roaming around in packs that are too dangerous, then the logical thing is to allow hunting. Why wait until more people are killed in attacks?

I didn't know at the time, but here, coyotes are open season year round. I don't know if there's a bag limit or whatever, but you don't need tags like with deer. Coyotes have been finding their way into Chicago and attacking dogs, cats and sometimes small children. And since the dictator of Chicago effectively controls the whole state, even though they're a bunch of anti-2nd amendment Nazi's up there, they made it so coyotes are perfectly legal to hunt because they're considered "nuisance" animals like raccoons and opossums, skunks, etc.

At the time, I put my gun and dog back in the house and put those dead coyotes on my ATV's racks and brought them about a mile and left them lying on the rails of the train tracks so they would be turned into burger meat and there wouldn't be any bullet wound evidence. They were killed with .45 auto ammo, and EVERYONE around here knows I have that Thompson copycat.

Had I known it was perfectly legal to hunt them, especially on my own property like I did, I would have probably had at least one of them stuffed or brought them to the Cabela's in Hammond, IN so they can put them on display. There's also an awesome steak buffet near here called Coyote Canyon and I noticed about a month ago that they now have several stuffed coyotes on display. So apparently I'm not the only one around here who hunts them.

we can hunt them anytime in wv. even at night. dont know about needing a license. ive never had one.

In my state (Wisconsin) coyote are considered a nuisance animal, and can be killed year round, without license.

Anyone else have this?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread