Trucking News: Court reverses $31M verdict in Navistar MaxxForce engine lawsuit

Mike

A Tennessee court of appeals has reversed a lower court’s decision that found Navistar violated consumer protection laws with its faulty MaxxForce engines. The decision effectively taking the manufacturer off the hook for more than $30 million.

On Wednesday, Aug. 14, the court of appeals in Jackson, Tenn., returned a jury judgment of $31 million to trucking company Milan Supply Chain Solutions. A Madison County circuit court had previously found Navistar and Volunteer International, a Navistar dealer, liable for more than 200 faulty trucks sold to Milan.

The decision was based on the definition of a “good,” which the court deemed does not apply to the trucks in this case. The ruling comes less than three months after Navistar was slammed with a $135 million verdict for a similar case in Illinois.

I wonder how much they paid the judge to pull that decision out of his ass. 🙄

I wonder how much they paid the judge to pull that decision out of his ass. 🙄
Do they have both law and equity courts in TN? Seems that the judges hung their hats on the law and if they are supposed to deal with equitable matters, somehow missed the inequity. Further, it seems that the consumer protection law that the case was decided under shouldn't trump the implied provision of any contract that the item is supposed to do what the seller states what it's made for. Maybe the plaintiffs (or better yet, the defendants) are a Delaware Corporation (although from what I have found, Nevada followed by Alaska and Wyoming have the best protections for corporations) and Binder can be sued there or in Binder's home state of Illinois.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom