Changes at Celadon

braylean

Just an advance warning, Celadon is now requiring all school graduates too run team for 240'000 miles to pay for school before you can run solo. The pay had been raised to .18 cpm though with a .03 cpm bonus for each driver once they reach 7500 miles each month. That bonus is paid on all miles accrued for that month. So the money is pretty decent at .36 to.39 cpm starting off.

Wait!
What?
.18cpm is "pretty decent money" for the next 240,000 miles.:rolllaugh:

I started driving at 20% of gross in 1981 and my next job was a cpm gig and it was .18 and that was in 1985.
Check with the office personal and see if any are working for minimum wage!

Another mega fleet bottom feeder that likes to :hump: its drivers.

Wait!
What?
.18cpm is "pretty decent money" for the next 240,000 miles.:rolllaugh:

I started driving at 20% of gross in 1981 and my next job was a cpm gig and it was .18 and that was in 1985.
Check with the office personal and see if any are working for minimum wage!

Another mega fleet bottom feeder that likes to :hump: its drivers.

But then again if drivers accept it why not pay it
:coocoo:

If you run that 240k within a year, that gives you over 43k plus paid schooling.

Not so bad if you can deal with a year of teaming

No thanks, already paid my dues.
Thats my point.
We both have yet these big ass mega fleets wanna pay mid 1980 wages and they wonder why theres a driver shortage and when they do land a new fish they have to keep it with another slightly older fish to train it for a year!
Thats some HIGH price schooling!

How is that high priced schooling, and how do you figure that's minimum wage. I was driving a propane truck making ten an hour + commission and I will easily make as much or more here in a week than I averaged every two weeks on the propane truck aaand drive less to do it. I'm not saying this is the greatest company ever because it isn't, but this isn't minimum wage either.

Looks to me like the truck gets 36cpm and the drivers split that. Therefore, each driver gets 18cpm for all mileage. Since the truck must travel 15,000 miles per month to get the 3cpm bonus (7,500 miles for each driver) the bonus is very easily attainable. The truck should earn 42cpm, or, 21cpm for all truck miles for each driver. If the truck only goes 15,000 miles in a month (this is a team truck??) each driver would gross $3,150/month.

A team truck should easily run at least 20,000 miles per month. EASILY.

Thats my point.
We both have yet these big ass mega fleets wanna pay mid 1980 wages and they wonder why theres a driver shortage and when they do land a new fish they have to keep it with another slightly older fish to train it for a year!
Thats some HIGH price schooling!

I came out in 91. At that time, I had to start out at somewhere around 16-18 cents per mile, with a one cent per mile bonus that I had to be there at the end of the first full calendar year to receive. Needless to say,I never received it.

This guy has to team, but he is making twice as much as I did to start.

Granted, it should be better. Much better, but that goes for the entire industry. I don't know anybody out here making what we should be making.

I came out in 91. At that time, I had to start out at somewhere around 16-18 cents per mile, with a one cent per mile bonus that I had to be there at the end of the first full calendar year to receive. Needless to say,I never received it.

This guy has to team, but he is making twice as much as I did to start.

Granted, it should be better. Much better, but that goes for the entire industry. I don't know anybody out here making what we should be making.

Theres just somethings the forum shouldnt know... at least the 90s were good to ya:stirpot2:

How is that high priced schooling, and how do you figure that's minimum wage. I was driving a propane truck making ten an hour + commission and I will easily make as much or more here in a week than I averaged every two weeks on the propane truck aaand drive less to do it. I'm not saying this is the greatest company ever because it isn't, but this isn't minimum wage either.
I'll tell you how its High Price Schooling.
1 Your gonna be teaming living with someone you dont know in a truck for at least a year.
2 The person your living my not be the best teacher, so dont pick up his bad habits.
3 Your gonna be paid off book miles and they may be off as much as 10%.
4At best .21cpm in a cut back slow ass truck being paid off book miles is worse then $10 per hour plus your home every night.

Can't argue with 1 & 2 except to say I have my own bad habits and got no intention of picking up anyone else's habits. But three, I don't need better than 65mph to make a good living and I challenge you to show me another company that will train or pay for your training in advance or hire you with a brand new license and no experience and pay better starting out. I have been starving my family for the last year and a half on that $10 an hour and I am 45 years old and have done the math, even with road expenses, I will bring home 75 percent more per month minimum. No matter what grade school taught you math, that's not chump change. Yeah I won't be home every night but so what?? Being home every night is not the end all be all of living. There are lineman that are gone weeks at a time and earn five thousand a week and I bet you won't find one that will stay home for eight thousand a month which is comparable to my situation. Believe it or not, sometimes it is all about doing what you have to do to support your family and earn living and that's what I am here for, plain and simple.

Can't argue with 1 & 2 except to say I have my own bad habits and got no intention of picking up anyone else's habits. But three, I don't need better than 65mph to make a good living and I challenge you to show me another company that will train or pay for your training in advance or hire you with a brand new license and no experience and pay better starting out. I have been starving my family for the last year and a half on that $10 an hour and I am 45 years old and have done the math, even with road expenses, I will bring home 75 percent more per month minimum. No matter what grade school taught you math, that's not chump change. Yeah I won't be home every night but so what?? Being home every night is not the end all be all of living. There are lineman that are gone weeks at a time and earn five thousand a week and I bet you won't find one that will stay home for eight thousand a month which is comparable to my situation. Believe it or not, sometimes it is all about doing what you have to do to support your family and earn living and that's what I am here for, plain and simple.

challenge met. Me... hell I never even went to a cdl school, place is gonna do OTJ. 17 hr plus ot good benefits home every night, maybe 1-2 nights out a week but im put in a hotel for all nights out just because people dont want to actually look around and rather sit on there arse and do applications online isnt my problem... If you want something go out and get it. Did i mention when I found this place they wanted 3 years exp

You were all ready driving a propane truck so you have a CDL B or C with HAZMAT, once you got your A any number of carriers would take you.

And I may have figured out why Celadon is having there new hires team for a year.
Like every other mega fleet there turn over rate is at or above 100%. This way there upping the odds you'll stay a year. BUT at a cheaper pay rate than a solo driver. Obamacare is gonna start in a few days and they are gonna have a lot of drivers taking a pay cut so thay wont have to insure your family. Sound crazy? Think about it. For every 3 full time jobs started this year 10 part time job were all so added, the reason, health care cost.

And your basing your pay on what? You might bring home 75% IF they run you the miles. My high school math taught me you cant add up something before you know what it is. Thirty plus years in trucking has taught me to never believe what a recruiter says.
@Whirlwind unwilling worked for Celadon after they bought out Glenn Moore and she didnt stay there much over 6 months if that long.

I wish ya the best of luck and admire you for putting your family first but I truly believe you'll be sorry for the next 240,000 miles.

will be making approximately thirty percent more than you a week if you work 44 hours a week and also get good benefits. I do know what I am going to run most weeks, I am surrounded by current company drivers all day every day and I talk them to learn what I can about the company. I raised chickens for a living so I know all about counting your eggs before they hatch, lol.

will be making approximately thirty percent more than you a week if you work 44 hours a week and also get good benefits. I do know what I am going to run most weeks, I am surrounded by current company drivers all day every day and I talk them to learn what I can about the company. I raised chickens for a living so I know all about counting your eggs before they hatch, lol.
so how much are you planning to make a year you figure???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread