Trucking News: Big Trucking Companies Say Vaccine Mandate Could Push Drivers Away

Mike

Big trucking companies say a federal vaccination and testing mandate aimed at curbing the spread of the Covid-19 virus could push more workers away from their operations and deepen upheaval in U.S. supply chains.

Executives say the proposed testing requirements for workers who choose not to get vaccinated could also pose challenges for trucking companies whose fleets haul goods long distances, often along irregular routes that send drivers from one corner of the country to another over several days or weeks.

The impact, they say, would hit companies already struggling to hire and retain drivers in a tight labor market and add to pressure on logistics networks that are straining to keep stores stocked and factories humming.

“We’re in an industry where we can’t afford any fallout. We don’t have enough drivers today,” said Eric Fuller, chief executive of U.S. Xpress Enterprises Inc., a large trucking carrier based in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Captain Obvious.jpg

This post brought to you buy "Obvious Man"

Drivers wages going up due to the lack of new entrants? Didn't think so.
Inflation going up due to lack of new entrants? Obviously.
Drivers wages going up to keep up with inflation? Didn't think so.

Never tell the current regime that what they're doing will cause economic problems. That's like giving them a thumbs up and saying "good work, keep it up". Killing the economy is exactly what they WANT.
and once they get them self driving golf carts rolling they will save a ton on overhead to by getting rid of the drivers :mad:. i can see merica becoming a third world country

Last edited:
Drivers wages going up due to the lack of new entrants? Didn't think so.
Inflation going up due to lack of new entrants? Obviously.
Drivers wages going up to keep up with inflation? Didn't think so.
Keep up with inflation? Not a chance.

Wages, however, are going up. Many companies are raising pay in addition to adding large signing bonuses. They have no choice when $15-18/hr jobs are becoming the norm for entry level local jobs.

Entry level tanker jobs here where I am are starting at $23/hr. Trainers are at $2.00 more per hour.

$1200-$1400 per week and home every day/night isn't bad. At least not for Florida, where wages generally suck anyway.

Entry level tanker jobs here where I am are starting at $23/hr. Trainers are at $2.00 more per hour.

$1200-$1400 per week and home every day/night isn't bad. At least not for Florida, where wages generally suck anyway.
Better not be hazmat tanker for that.

They really are and the cost of living isn't cheap either in the bigger cities. I cut my expenses just about in half moving out of Ft. Lauderdale. House insurance down there was near $4000/yr. Car insurance for just the average vehicle is $1500/yr. I pay less than that for 3 vehicles up here at full coverage.

They really are and the cost of living isn't cheap either in the bigger cities. I cut my expenses just about in half moving out of Ft. Lauderdale. House insurance down there was near $4000/yr. Car insurance for just the average vehicle is $1500/yr. I pay less than that for 3 vehicles up here at full coverage.

The state of Florida is a retirement community, LOL. Unfortunately, the service industry that is required to keep the retirees entertained doesn't pay well enough to support a good living for the most part for those who are there to serve them.

Therefore, the population turns to 'free'. And the state taxpayers pay. Do you recognize a correlation between the state and this forum in some way? Again, just sayin'.

@389 Hood How many hours a week are you working to make 1200-1400?

Normally, about 35-40. For the past 35 days, 0 hours.

The reprogrammed my ECM just a little while ago to operate without throwing DEF codes. I'm back at it on Saturday for a shakedown run. :throwfit:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread