Anyone who hires contract employees is a con man.

BP wind energy uses a staffing service for contract labor.

Many tech companies do.

It’s not always a scam.
"Staffing agencies" are another scam all together.

I worked 1 job where I was a contractor a 1099 in American, I am not even sure what the tax form number is in Canada. i found it wa just a way for the company to skirt they financial obligations in regards to unemployment insurance, overtime, workers compensation and general employee taxes.
I know some drivers that will only work if they can be 1099. Sure they get more money upfront but the taxman cometh!

I worked 1 job where I was a contractor a 1099 in American, I am not even sure what the tax form number is in Canada. i found it wa just a way for the company to skirt they financial obligations in regards to unemployment insurance, overtime, workers compensation and general employee taxes.
I know some drivers that will only work if they can be 1099. Sure they get more money upfront but the taxman cometh!
It goes back to how you approach the relationship with the guy who signs the checks. If you're looking for 40 with benefits... that's employment. It comes with income and social security tax withholding, etc. If an employer comes at you with any kind of "1099 deal" in return for employment, they're breaking both labor and tax laws.

Independent contractors pay their own expenses, provide their own "benefits," and decide how they're going to go about doing a job within (usually) the bounds of a contract.

Satisfies my sweet tooth.

You're still controlled by your customers. There is no true freedom short of going off grid. And they'll still get you for taxes.

Construction was always different. I did home remodeling for awhile, and we had a deadline. We either met the deadline, or we didn't. There was never anything in our contracts that said what days we were going to show up on the job site. We might juggle several different jobs at a time, and work at one site one day, and one the next. If it was a kitchen job, we may be waiting on cabinets to be delivered. Or tile for a shower, etc. That was more freedom than what I had with the freight brokerage or courier work.

Construction was always different. I did home remodeling for awhile, and we had a deadline. We either met the deadline, or we didn't. There was never anything in our contracts that said what days we were going to show up on the job site. We might juggle several different jobs at a time, and work at one site one day, and one the next. If it was a kitchen job, we may be waiting on cabinets to be delivered. Or tile for a shower, etc. That was more freedom than what I had with the freight brokerage or courier work.
How is that different? Still beholden to the customer. Ain't like you go into business for yourself and get to do whatever you want whenever you want.

How is that different? Still beholden to the customer. Ain't like you go into business for yourself and get to do whatever you want whenever you want.

We pretty much did whatever we wanted to do whenever we wanted to do it, as long as the job was completed by the deadline set by the contract. When there's a window of weeks rather than days or hours, it's a little bit different.

It's not a matter of being "beholding." You agree to do something to a set of conditions laid out in an agreement.

Anyone who takes money for some purpose, then goes out and does whatever without delivering the agreed product or service is committing fraud.

We pretty much did whatever we wanted to do whenever we wanted to do it, as long as the job was completed by the deadline set by the contract. When there's a window of weeks rather than days or hours, it's a little bit different.
All you're describing is a lack of micromanagement from the customer. The same as most good employees get.

No one pesters me during my shift, just like no one pestered me when I was running my own businesses. But I still had customers to satisfy.

Self-employment isn't the glamorous self-direction people like to claim or believe it is. You're beholden to the people who sign the check that feeds you no matter what.

It's not a matter of being "beholding." You agree to do something to a set of conditions laid out in an agreement.

Anyone who takes money for some purpose, then goes out and does whatever without delivering the agreed product or service is committing fraud.
You're still not saying anything I'm not saying. In fact you're saying exactly the very thing I've been saying.

Stop arguing for argument's sake for a change.

All you're describing is a lack of micromanagement from the customer. The same as most good employees get.

No one pesters me during my shift, just like no one pestered me when I was running my own businesses. But I still had customers to satisfy.

Self-employment isn't the glamorous self-direction people like to claim or believe it is. You're beholden to the people who sign the check that feeds you no matter what.

I don't know about that. My grandfather was self-employed and raised cattle throughout his retirement. I guess he was beholden to the cashier's office at the local stockyard?

The feeling of independence: it's a man thing. You just happen to find that feeling driving a truck. Different people find the feeling in different ways. If the feeling is present, it's a happy life. If not, work's a drag. As long as the checks are getting signed, sealed, delivered on time and cashed, who cares?

images

Oh, such a shame this forum doesn't do animated gifs.

crazy dance - Create, Discover and Share Awesome GIFs on Gfycat

I don't know about that. My grandfather was self-employed and raised cattle throughout his retirement. I guess he was beholden to the cashier's office at the local stockyard?

The feeling of independence: it's a man thing. You just happen to find that feeling driving a truck. Different people find the feeling in different ways. If the feeling is present, it's a happy life. If not, work's a drag. As long as the checks are getting signed, sealed, delivered on time and cashed, who cares?
Sortof. My understanding is the stockyard acts as a middle man for people to buy and sell. If I'm correct, his customer was actually the final purchaser. He was beholden to raise cattle that would ultimately sell, and the better those cattle the more money he'd make. If all he ever brought were sickly things that no one wanted, he wouldn't even have customers.

The stockyard is actually his customer because it's their job to bring in the bids. Assuming this is a cattle auction you're referring to. Otherwise yeah they're his customer if they bought them directly.

Everyone with even half a lick of business sense knows that everyone has a customer or client. As an employee, my customer/client is my employer. They're the ones I have to satisfy, and satisfying their customer directly is what makes them keep me. If I was an O/O, my customers would be what are now my employer's customers.

Employers are basically glorified agents. They take a bigger cut of the profits to give you a bigger buffer of protection than you get if you do it all on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes he was. The stockyard was his customer. If they weren't happy with his product, he wouldn't get paid.

Wrong. The Joe Cowboy who purchased the animal was his customer. The stock yard was the factoring company.
If they weren't happy with his product, they wouldn't bid on it.

Wrong. The Joe Cowboy who purchased the animal was his customer. The stock yard was the factoring company.
If they weren't happy with his product, they wouldn't bid on it.
Yeah I updated my post. It took me a second to realize what you meant by stockyard. I was thinking direct purchase like a meat processing plant.

Point still stands. Your grand daddy still had customers he had to work for if he wanted to make money.

Yeah I updated my post. It took me a second to realize what you meant by stockyard. I was thinking direct purchase like a meat processing plant.

Point still stands. Your grand daddy still had customers he had to work for if he wanted to make money.
So is my employers customers, partly my employers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread