Advice Needed

macorce

Hello to everyone.I am new to this forum and my english is not very good.I am planning to relocate to Manitoba and work as truck driver through TFW program.Now I understand that many canadian truckers are against TFW program so please don't hate me :)
I had interviews with two trucking companies that are very interested in giving me a job offer.I also had positive interview with Manitoba immigration.
So first company drives Canada-USA to California and Nevada.They drive refrigerated trailers for which I think is very clean job,no need to open sides to secure cargo with belts,just open the back door and park to the dock.Start payment is 0.38 cad,plus many bonuses like Safety performance bonus,hi miler bonus and fuel bonus.They provide the training for class 1 driver licence.
Second company they drive just in Canada on route Winnipeg-Vancouver.That means I am going to drive through Rocky mountains,which is probably good in summer I do not know about winter.Also this company provides training and I receive payment even while I am still training for driver licence,which is not the case with first company.They pay 20 cad per hour.

So my question is what are the advantages and disadvantages between driving just in Canada (Winnipeg,MA-Vancouver,BC) and driving Canada-USA (California,Nevada...)

Any advice is welcomed.
Thank you

Well one advantage to driving in Canada only is you would not have to cross the border, That can be a real pain.
The other would be not having to deal with Americans that have a hate-on for Canadian trucks/drivers and there are a few of them here on this board.
Also not being regulated right into the ground by FMCSA. you can drive longer hours in Canada, so more money.
The negatives would going over the Rocky mountains and that is something no rookie and especially a rookie with no winter driving experience should ever attempt.

The advantage to running Cali, Nevada etc, Would be half of the time you would be in warm weather/fair weather driving conditions

Thank you @rigjockey
Also I believe it is safer to park at truck stop in Canada have a sleep and have no worries that some armed punk will try to kill you cuz guns are not allowed like they are in USA?

So FMCSA is the same as DOT?

I have some winter mountain expirience but I would like to ask you something.Going downhill on snow I use air brakes and never exhaust brake or retarder cuz it is only braking the differentials and weight pushing you may cause jackknifing.Air brakes will not get overheated because is below zero.But I heard that some drivers are using exhaust brake on position 1 or 2 and it is safe to go down.What do you think about that?

Also one rookie question.Are there borders between provinces in Canafa?

Thank you @rigjockey
Also I believe it is safer to park at truck stop in Canada have a sleep and have no worries that some armed punk will try to kill you cuz guns are not allowed like they are in USA?
For the most part
So FMCSA is the same as DOT?
FMCSA is the governing body, DOT is enforcement
I have some winter mountain expirience but I would like to ask you something.Going downhill on snow I use air brakes and never exhaust brake or retarder cuz it is only braking the differentials and weight pushing you may cause jackknifing.Air brakes will not get overheated because is below zero.But I heard that some drivers are using exhaust brake on position 1 or 2 and it is safe to go down.What do you think about that?
Never use the Jake/compression brake in slippery conditions
Also one rookie question.Are there borders between provinces in Canafa?
NO! Most likely a scale at the point of entry in each Province.

10x a lot
Hopefully I will come to Canada and maybe become permanent resident
Yeah, No, that is not going to happen. You are here to fill a demand and when that demand is no longer needed you will be sent home!
I point you to the oil fields and even Tim Horton workers in Alberta.
You will be sent home, To apply for citizenship from there.:)

Yeah, No, that is not going to happen. You are here to fill a demand and when that demand is no longer needed you will be sent home!
I point you to the oil fields and even Tim Horton workers in Alberta.
You will be sent home, To apply for citizenship from there.:)

Are you sure about this.Because as far as I know after 6 months I can apply for permanent resident through MPNP and after one year I can hope becoming permanent resident.Of course if I am honest person respecting the laws,proving that i will not be a threat to the society

Are you sure about this.Because as far as I know after 6 months I can apply for permanent resident through MPNP and after one year I can hope becoming permanent resident.Of course if I am honest person respecting the laws,proving that i will not be a threat to the society
Pretty sure. Because after the oil market collapse we had a bunch of foreigners whining about how they should be allowed to stay. Tim Hortons workers, Pretty replaceable.

Curious how your going from Canada to Cali with no winter driving in the mountains ?

Curious how your going from Canada to Cali with no winter driving in the mountains ?

I realise that Rockies are continuing down in USA,but I thought conditions are not the same as up in the north?Maybe they are,you know better then I do.I have been watching this eposodes Highway thru hell,coquihalla hwy so I know a little of what I am going to deal with.
Anyway I have the expirience.My main question was difference in trucking Canada vs Usa.But also if you have any other info,advice in trucking...fell free to share it.
Thanks
p.s. btw how is my english?

Canadian Rockies are a bit more harsh than on the US side of the border. Longer and steeper.

I was a rookie first trip out and drove from Fargo North Dakota to Seattle Washington. In those days, couple of the passes on the Montana / Idaho border were still two lane, but you could see them building the interstate.

I did so in January 1990. It sucked. Had to deal with three blizzards as we made our way west. Getting over bozeman and 4th of July passes required chains in Montana and snowqualmie as well in Washington.

What level of experience did I have? Effectively none.

My trainer made me drive ever one of those hills too.

Don't get cocky, go slow and managr yourself and you'll do fine.

I driven 4 yrs otr live in texas I start orentation in a week where will they run me I have no idea thx john

I driven 4 yrs otr live in texas I start orentation in a week where will they run me I have no idea thx john

I do not understand what kind of help are you looking for.
So you are from Texas,4 years OTR driver.
Maybe you should start new post and someone of the more experienced drivers will help you.

I don't know what open when I start Just curious where I run
Lol
Dude are you using online translator from your language to english?Because everything you write makes no sense to me.
Or maybe Texas language is different.hehe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread