Advice needed

Clifford

Hi I am new to this, I am from Ontario. I am an O/O and have found my own loads within Ontario. I am looking to go stateside and go on with a company. Any suggestions, I am thinking tandam flat. Contrans Maybe?

Hi thought id come and see if I could learn something on here

Someone who can provide the insight you are looking for will probably stumble along soon. Be patient, and feel free to snoop around the place while you are waiting.

Oh, and welcome to Truckers Forum!

Hi I am new to this, I am from Ontario. I am an O/O and have found my own loads within Ontario. I am looking to go stateside and go on with a company. Any suggestions, I am thinking tandam flat. Contrans Maybe?

Give John Norcott at Contrans a call. I believe he is starting up their specialized/oversize division over there. He may be able to help you out. If they aren't taking O/O's on that division yet, he will be able to direct you elsewhere at Contrans I'm sure.

Thanks guys, seems everybody I talk to says at Contrans/Laidlaw is hard to make money.

I have no idea really about that. I know some guys that pull bulk tanker for them, and have for years, so they must be ok with it. As far as their flat and specialized divisions go, I have no idea. If I remember right, guys in the deck division that came from tanks/bulk, all wanted to go back to tanks/bulk though.

You will have to work it out for yourself ultimately I think.

You could always call some of the other 976 companies in Ontario as well. I haven't worked for enough of them myself to steer you in a particular direction really. Challenger has a deck division. Mullen Trucking has one.

What part of Ontario are you in anyway?

I guess i just have to make a choice on which one, I am just a bit nervous cuz I never drove for another company. They all seem to have the best pay package. I am thinking 600 mile radius. Some companies pay precentage and others by Mile, Which is best?

I guess i just have to make a choice on which one, I am just a bit nervous cuz I never drove for another company. They all seem to have the best pay package. I am thinking 600 mile radius. Some companies pay precentage and others by Mile, Which is best?

The answer to that question, I'm afraid, will depend on the rates they are getting for the loads. If possible, ask to speak to a couple of their current O/O's and quiz them on what they think of the pay packages.

Have you ever considered Landstar, or Mercer? They both hire Canadian O/O's in that area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread