Trucking News: 4 people are dead in the Colorado pileup. A truck driver faces vehicular homicide charges

Specific requirements and test conditions vary from state to state.
CDL requirements are in FMCSA.

My understanding is the only thing that really changes state to state is what of the material they test you on. For example in Iowa you only do 1/3 of the pre trip with the examiner. Where as Oklahoma requires you do the whole truck each time. But the basic skills are the same.

CDL requirements are in FMCSA.
Specific federal requirements must be met. That does not stop any state from placing additional requirements on CDL applicants. Used to see this all the time at Prime... students got their CDLs in Missouri, and then had to transfer them to their home states. Any additional requirements or testing then had to be completed before their CDLs were accepted by the home state.

The biggest ones were completely repeating the practical skills tests for Illinois and Massachusetts.

Specific federal requirements must be met. That does not stop any state from placing additional requirements on CDL applicants. Used to see this all the time at Prime... students got their CDLs in Missouri, and then had to transfer them to their home states. Any additional requirements or testing then had to be completed before their CDLs were accepted by the home state.

The biggest ones were completely repeating the practical skills tests for Illinois and Massachusetts.
How long has it been since you worked for prime?

Here is the state where all of this happened. You need to get your permit, wait 14 days, and then you can get your CDL.

This place has two locations. they will work with you on an hourly basis to get you prepared to take your driving test, and rent you the vehicle if you don't have one.

Most, if not all, states have places that will do this.

From there, all you need to do is have somebody willing to hire you with no experience, and there are plenty of places that will do this.

Basically the same as the relaxed rules in Texas.

Here is the state where all of this happened. You need to get your permit, wait 14 days, and then you can get your CDL.

This place has two locations. they will work with you on an hourly basis to get you prepared to take your driving test, and rent you the vehicle if you don't have one.

Most, if not all, states have places that will do this.

From there, all you need to do is have somebody willing to hire you with no experience, and there are plenty of places that will do this.

Basically the same as the relaxed rules in Texas.
Yep. The states that have been burned become a lot more difficult to get a CDL.

Yep. The states that have been burned become a lot more difficult to get a CDL.
Now you're just posting sentences that don't mean anything, LOL.

What states are difficult to get a CDL in? In what state can you not get the written permits, and shortly after show up with a properly insured truck and medical card and simply take the skills test?

We limit people who test in an automatic, but yet they are approved to pull a 50-60 foot trailer behind a sleeper truck after taking a test in a single axle daycab and a pup.

I could put my 17 year old daughter (when she turns 18 in a couple months) on my insurance (if OOIDA wasn't so strict on who they insure). She could pass the skills test in a day cab and baby trailer and get a CDL, then likely go out and drive my current truck straight into the ditch.

What states are difficult to get a CDL in? In what state can you not get the written permits, and shortly after show up with a properly insured truck and medical card and simply take the skills test?

We limit people who test in an automatic, but yet they are approved to pull a 50-60 foot trailer behind a sleeper truck after taking a test in a single axle daycab and a pup.

I could put my 17 year old daughter (when she turns 18 in a couple months) on my insurance (if OOIDA wasn't so strict on who they insure). She could pass the skills test in a day cab and baby trailer and get a CDL, then likely go out and drive my current truck straight into the ditch.
Come on Mike you know as well as I do you don't need a CDL to drive into a ditch.

They ain’t got an emoji beating the **** out of other emojis with a winch bar emoji or I’d be all over a virtual whoop ass.
There's a few:

:whip::bigpaddle::sandpile:

I don't know why the big version of :paddle: looks the same as the small one in the list now. Probably @Mike's fault.

Illinois and Massachusetts in particular are picky, and won't accept driving tests from out of state for example. Illinois because of credentials and testing fraud, Massachusetts got picky after looking into backgrounds in post-accident investigations. Those two were talked about as being more difficult to deal with as I recall. Otherwise, its mostly a fee collection exercise, as you said.

Illinois and Massachusetts in particular are picky, and won't accept driving tests from out of state for example. Illinois because of credentials and testing fraud, Massachusetts got picky after looking into backgrounds in post-accident investigations. Those two were talked about as being more difficult to deal with as I recall. Otherwise, its mostly a fee collection exercise, as you said.
I didn't know any states accepted out of state tests...

Almost all of them allow what’s called 3rd party testing. You get your CDL permit in Oklahoma. Go to Iowa to attend TMC CDLA training. At the end of the three week yard training an Iowa DOT Officer come and conducts your skills test. You get a letter from the state of Iowa and test form and a letter from TMC to take home. You take that to the DMV and you’re now A certified CDL holder.

License transfers to home state after training. Like @r3gulator3 mentioned, many states don't maintain a phalanx of CDL testers, but let ol' Joe at the driving school fill in. Prime's CDL trainees had a uniformed DOT bear in the right seat. Colorado allowed 3rd party tests.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread