386 Stupid Clutch Design

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
No idea whose brainfart the clutch through the floor, pivoting forward so only 6'6" people with 60" legs can operate it without turning sideways and getting a huge, painful callous on the fourth toe of their left foot, but I hope whoever it was got the reward of being pilloried and burned at the stake.

Is there any remediation for this mess? Like a thick pad to attach to the pedal or some recall to turn it into a step-down-on-it clutch that goes through the firewall like a normal truck?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
No idea whose brainfart the clutch through the floor, pivoting forward so only 6'6" people with 60" legs can operate it without turning sideways and getting a huge, painful callous on the fourth toe of their left foot, but I hope whoever it was got the reward of being pilloried and burned at the stake.

Is there any remediation for this mess? Like a thick pad to attach to the pedal or some recall to turn it into a step-down-on-it clutch that goes through the firewall like a normal truck?
Those things pissed me off too. If you move the seat forward so you can pin the clutch pedal to the floor, then the steering wheel is right up against your chest.

This is the guy they measured when they designed that cab:

1450-work-1.jpg

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter

yes, seriously, blocks on the pedal(s)....or i just found "extensions", but those from what i see, are for cars.

here are some for big trucks

Last edited:

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Loosen the pedal off and rotate so its straight up and down. It lets you push away from yourself rather then straight down
I did that, but @Duck and @GAnthony are right. I have to slide forward on the seat and turn sideways to push it to the floor. I'm not itty-bitty, but I'm no brute, either. I'm 5'4". The angle slides my foot inside my shoe, so my fourth toe gets a nasty, painful callous next to the nail bed that makes me limp if I don't constantly sand it down or wear sandals. If I tie my shoes tighter, the pressure on my arch is unbearably painful.

It's a horrible, ergonomically incorrect design. I wish I could meet the engineer so I could ask what the purpose was supposed to be and then bitch-slap his dumb ass back to the first second this disaster popped into his mind.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
yes, seriously, blocks on the pedal(s)....or i just found "extensions", but those from what i see, are for cars.

here are some for big trucks

It's apparently a common complaint. That's a 386 clutch.

Rigjockey

The Grand Poobah!
Supporter

It's a shitty design. I am just over 6'3" and with the seat so I am comfortable with the wheel and the other pedals, I struggle to nail the clutch to the floor.

Not as bad as my little Brazilian friend who is like 4' nothing. If he can see over the dash, he can't reach the clutch. If he has the seat down to reach the clutch he can't see over the dash. :rolllaugh: He refuses to drive the truck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)