Anyone use laptops w/ a wireless IP ?

cassiem0221

I am trying to find out who is the best wireless internet provider. I have heard that you get them through your cell company and we have US Cellular.. Does anyone use them and how good of a connection to you get.. If you don't use them, who do you use and where do you NOT get reception? I just pre-launched my own website so I really need to have a good connection 24/7... Give me some reviews :)

I use an AT&T air card for my laptop, it just plugs into the side. I get DSL speed in many locations, and at least 3 times the speed of a good dialup connection no matter where I am.

It depends entirely on hw good of a cell phone connection you would get. I love mine because it means I can be online wherever I happen to be!

Can you be a tractor trailor truck driver at 18?

Sprint Broadband is excellent although customer service and billing bites the big weenie

AT&T... Aren't they Cingular now? I used to how cingular and I did like the service I got when I wasn't at home..

I use a Verizon Aircard and have found it to be good in coverage. Although I'd rather have the Satellite dish which is mounted on top of my motorhome instead! :)

Hubby uses a Verizon aircard as do I and we both love it. Of course we jack into free hotspots whenever we can because it's faster.

i used to use a DELL laptop laptop out of the truck and run it off cingular(att) wireless card. it works pretty well sometimes better than others. onlly real problem i ever had was in the w.v mountains and s.w. pensylvannia. just wouldn't work there for some reason. and another thing you have to worry about is being hacked into. if someboy knows what they are doing they can get into your system. i suggest limiting your sites you go to. only go to a secured site. you can usually tell if it happens. your laptop will slow down alot. just diconnect the connection and then reconnect. that makes them lose reception.

yes get like a at&t wireless internet card or Sprint...they all have them. they are on their own seperate plan you have to sign a 2 year contract and pay up to 100 bucks for the card, not mad in my opinion for wireless broadband :)

i used to use a DELL laptop laptop out of the truck and run it off cingular(att) wireless card. it works pretty well sometimes better than others. onlly real problem i ever had was in the w.v mountains and s.w. pensylvannia. just wouldn't work there for some reason. and another thing you have to worry about is being hacked into. if someboy knows what they are doing they can get into your system. i suggest limiting your sites you go to. only go to a secured site. you can usually tell if it happens. your laptop will slow down alot. just diconnect the connection and then reconnect. that makes them lose reception.

I don't know a lot about hacking into people, but thanks for the tip. If I ever get an unexpected slow down I will just log out and wait five minutes before logging back on, they should lose interest after me being gone for five minutes right?

I don't know a lot about hacking into people, but thanks for the tip. If I ever get an unexpected slow down I will just log out and wait five minutes before logging back on, they should lose interest after me being gone for five minutes right?

they'll lose interest or connect onto someone else.

I have always used the Verizon aircard. Every once in a while I lose the reception, but no major problems. It works relatively well for me.

I been using air cards for years, Sprint and Verizon. I like Verizon better; however when I updated my card, I lost the ability to use the card as a fax machine to the computer. When I upgrade again I want that feature back so dispatch can send fax me permits while I am driving and I can then re fax them to the truck stop of my choice for printing.

I just got a Verizon USB air card for $30 somthing at Best Buy. If you do not have a laptop already they will also give you $100 rebate on a new laptop. Either way you go you have to sign a 2 year contract and do a credit check. So far in GA & SC my speeds have been better than my DSL at home. Soon I will not have DSL.

I recently went back OTR and bought a AT&T 3G wireless card off of Ebay for about 1/4 of what the store wanted to charge.

Next issue, AT&T tried to say that even though I had my own equipment, I had to sign a two year contract. The only way I knew better is that the person I bought the card from used to own his own store and knew that was only a tactic. It took me about 5 or 6 separate times of calling in before we started getting somewhere. At first they changed their tune to, "you have to have at least a one year contract.", to finally I found one girl that signed me up month to month. I completed the sign up process immediately. It's bad enough that it costs 59.99/mo, but to be stuck with 1 or 2 years at that price even if you don't need anymore (or you have to pay that ridiculous early term fee.)

In a month and a half of using it, I've only not had signal once and that was last week at the walmart parking lot in Jennings, LA. As Bullwinkle said, Even though it's not always "high speed", it's something. I've found 3G to be quite fast, but usually only avail. in large cities.

If I can get there early enough to find parking, and I'm not short changing myself on miles, I'll try and stay in the City only if I have plenty of time to take my full break. Most sites work great, but sites like google.com/maps take forever.

enough rambling...

I recently went back OTR and bought a AT&T 3G wireless card off of Ebay for about 1/4 of what the store wanted to charge.

I got that card as well, got it while they were having a big sale on them, as well as a big rebate.

I got that card as well, got it while they were having a big sale on them, as well as a big rebate.

ATT's CS / and .com is a con. The website says, card price $199.99. Price with contract, 49.99. This statement would lead you to believe you can get it with or witout the contract, correct? You can, but it's a fight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread