Yup. Still here.


That's a "walk out of orientation laughing" kind of thing.
If someone says you're gonna make at least 70k without really trying, no touch freight, all drop and hook, home every day, Monday thru Friday, you don't think the little things like wipers and governors matter even if they do mention it.

A lot of people still don't care. They just deal with it for the money.

The money wasn't a lie. I made 80k my first full tax year and wasn't at full pay rate.
 
Moving equipment is "fun" sometimes. No door o windshield great park brake and I had to strap the hood closed
IMG_20231221_103216734_HDR.webp

Victim number two also a real gem. Plenty of park brake absolutely NO foot brake. It wanted to back on a lot faster than you should back on an edge to edge machine. Slow or stop with the park brake and it goes back to neutral even though it's in reverse and won't resume reversing without rolling forward a bunch and starting over.

Thought I might be able to winch it on without catching the bottom of the other one with the cable. No dice. Ended up putting forks on the ground and pushing it on backwards with the boom set the park brake pick it up pull it in and repeat.
IMG_20231221_120306283_HDR.webp
IMG_20231221_120318859_HDR.webp
 
What you are really trying to say is...You picked up a load of shit today!
Pretty much. It's anyone's guess how badly I wanted to pull into a scrap yard and drop them there. Haul the chains off release all the brakes tilt the deck and let God sort it out. The cash would've just been a bonus.

The one with no brakes went to a mechanic and the other out to another site. They were almost as thrilled to get it as I was to haul it.
 
Moving equipment is "fun" sometimes. No door o windshield great park brake and I had to strap the hood closed
View attachment 89078

Victim number two also a real gem. Plenty of park brake absolutely NO foot brake. It wanted to back on a lot faster than you should back on an edge to edge machine. Slow or stop with the park brake and it goes back to neutral even though it's in reverse and won't resume reversing without rolling forward a bunch and starting over.

Thought I might be able to winch it on without catching the bottom of the other one with the cable. No dice. Ended up putting forks on the ground and pushing it on backwards with the boom set the park brake pick it up pull it in and repeat.
View attachment 89079
View attachment 89080
Why does the driver always load & unload these things?

Why not the machine's regular operator who is familiar with the machine and would therefore have better control?
 
Why does the driver always load & unload these things?

Why not the machine's regular operator who is familiar with the machine and would therefore have better control?
I've always wondered the same thing. It's not like van drivers hop on a forklift in the warehouse to load pallets of widgets.

I've also seen a guy on YouTube haul Oshkosh Strykers and the company usually loads them. He's responsible for unloading them though.
 
I've always wondered the same thing. It's not like van drivers hop on a forklift in the warehouse to load pallets of widgets.

I've also seen a guy on YouTube haul Oshkosh Strykers and the company usually loads them. He's responsible for unloading them though.
The truck driver would have a better idea of where to position the machine's center of gravity on the trailer to balance axle weights though.
 
I've always wondered the same thing. It's not like van drivers hop on a forklift in the warehouse to load pallets of widgets.

I've also seen a guy on YouTube haul Oshkosh Strykers and the company usually loads them. He's responsible for unloading them though.
Can we also point out what a weird ass you are for asking a question/positing a premise, then countering a person who agrees with you?
 
Why does the driver always load & unload these things?

Why not the machine's regular operator who is familiar with the machine and would therefore have better control?
Some companies that have really specialized stuff or a lot of "safety rules" do just that and more power to them.

As for something basic.....dozer, excavator, backhoe telehandler, forklifts, booma etc..... Often times there's nobody there TO load, unload or both. They may be going from one site to another that's two or three hours away. Knowing how to drive (I didn't say "operate") a wide variety of machines is just part of the job.
 
I've always wondered the same thing. It's not like van drivers hop on a forklift in the warehouse to load pallets of widgets.

I've also seen a guy on YouTube haul Oshkosh Strykers and the company usually loads them. He's responsible for unloading them though.
It'd probably get done a hell of a lot faster in some cases.
 
Some companies that have really specialized stuff or a lot of "safety rules" do just that and more power to them.

As for something basic.....dozer, excavator, backhoe telehandler, forklifts, booma etc..... Often times there's nobody there TO load, unload or both. They may be going from one site to another that's two or three hours away. Knowing how to drive (I didn't say "operate") a wide variety of machines is just part of the job.
Do you ever have to load electric-only equipment like my lift that barely has enough power to move, let alone climb up the trailer?
 
Do you ever have to load electric-only equipment like my lift that barely has enough power to move, let alone climb up the trailer?
The usual m.o is drag that mother with the winch far enough to get it on level out the deck and drive the rest of the way.....or if there is big enough forklift or telehandler around you're laughing.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to do that with scissor lifts.
 
20171029_104030.webp
Had to load this Italian drill in a rainstorm under the interstate up by green bay. Of course the operator was gone.
Got it started but couldn't get it to move.
Operator's manual was written in Italian.
Finally got the operator to call me back after a hour and pretty sure he was already thru a 6 pack. Lol

3 safeties had to be set in a particular order.
I would've never figured that out.
 
View attachment 89083
Had to load this Italian drill in a rainstorm under the interstate up by green bay. Of course the operator was gone.
Got it started but couldn't get it to move.
Operator's manual was written in Italian.
Finally got the operator to call me back after a hour and pretty sure he was already thru a 6 pack. Lol

3 safeties had to be set in a particular order.
I would've never figured that out.
That definitely falls under that "specialized" category I mentioned before. Aside from the safeties is moving it comparable to anything else?
 
View attachment 89083
Had to load this Italian drill in a rainstorm under the interstate up by green bay. Of course the operator was gone.
Got it started but couldn't get it to move.
Operator's manual was written in Italian.
Finally got the operator to call me back after a hour and pretty sure he was already thru a 6 pack. Lol

3 safeties had to be set in a particular order.
I would've never figured that out.
How did you know it was Italian did it have a sticker that said Fragile :D
 
I tried driving a scissor lift off the trailer onto the dock once. It shouldn't be hard to do I thought. I got it on the dock and crashed into a pallet of boxes.
1703309526855.webp
 

Back
Top