You Are What You Eat

Ten Reasons For Cast Iron

10 Reasons to Own a Cast Iron Skillet

1) Made of Iron. This thing is sturdy. You can drop it and it won’t be damaged. You don’t have to worry about scratching it or discoloring it (it’s black already you see). It’s possible that it can rust, but you can easily clean it. Cast iron skillets will take any and all abuse and still last forever. In fact, your skillet will probably outlast even you.

2) It Can Take The Heat. Most cookware comes with heat warnings. Even most stainless steel cookware isn’t supposed to go over 450/500 degrees in an oven. Cast iron? I mean… yea… eventually it’ll melt. But seriously you can cook on an open campfire with this thing. Try that with a nonstick pan. Oh wait. Don’t. I don’t want any lawsuits.

3) It’s Nonstick. Speaking of nonstick, cast iron skillets are nonstick if you season them correctly. Season your skillet by wiping it down with a thin layer of canola oil and then baking it in a 250 degree oven for about 90 minutes. Let it cool and wipe it down and this will be as good as any nonstick pan out there. Go ahead. Try a fried egg on it.

4) It’s a Grill. For us city folk, having a yard is not always an option. But because you can get a cast iron skillet really hot, it can effectively be used as a grill. For example, I cooked this steak in my cast iron and it was just as good as if it’d been cooked on a grill. Perfectly medium rare with a really nice crust.

5) It’s Economical. I think some people are actually turned off by cast iron because they think it’s cheap as in low quality. But the reality is that they just happen to be cheap to make which makes them economical, but not cheap. If you pay more than $40 for one, you are getting super-screwed. Not to mention that a lot of people sell perfectly good cast iron skillets at yard sales just because they don’t know how to season them.

6) It’s Versatile. You can make hundreds of completely delicious things in this one pan. For starters, you can make the best biscuits and gravy. You can make really good french toast. You can brown chicken in it for a salad. You can even fry in it (donuts). I’d guess I’ve easily used it for a few dozen recipes on Macheesmo.

7) Save on Soap. Once your skillet is seasoned, it actually hurts it to wash it with soap. The soap will break up the tiny oil molecules that are embedded on the pan and make it not-so-nonstick. It’s also possible that the next thing you cook it will have a slightly soapy taste to it! So save on the soap. If you need to scrub your cast iron pan, use salt!

8) It’s Vitamin Rich. This is a stretch, but since it’s made out of iron, a little bit of mineral iron does get transferred over during cooking.

9) Heat Distribution. This is maybe one of the most important reasons you should own one of these guys. People spends thousands on pots that evenly distribute heat. A cook’s nightmare is a pan with a really bad hot spot on it so half of your food is burned and the other half raw. Cast iron does such an amazing job of evenly distributing heat that you’ll never have this problem.

10) It’s Sexy. Call me crazy but I find these things kinda hot. There’s something rustic about them. Like a guy with a great beard. When you see someone working with a big heavy pan, it’s a turn on. Or at least… that’s what I tell myself.

Ten Reasons You Need a Cast Iron Skillet | Macheesmo
View attachment 13673

How To Buy and Store Olive Oil

Buying oil in small sizes, or splitting larger bottles with friends, is a practical way to buy expensive oils. Oil purchased in bulk should always be poured into smaller containers, preferably in a can or a dark-colored bottle.

Remember - Olives are fruit; olive oil is a fruit juice. Air, heat, and light will cause olive oil to turn rancid (rancid is the flavor which is imparted in an oil after it has undergone the process of oxidation. Since prolonged contact with oxygen is the rot cause of oxidation, rancidity is a common defect, so it should be stored in a cool place in an airtight container). If your oil has a buttery taste, then it's probably rancid.

Olive Oil, Virgin Oil Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cooking with Olive Oil, Buying and Storing Olive Oil
View attachment 13674

How to Make Herbed Oils & Butters

Herbal Oils & Butters are easy to make and
are wonderful additions to the chef's
kitchen. Unfortunately, it has come to light
recently that oils containing herbs that are
not stored properly provide the perfect
environment for the very harmful toxin we
know as botulism. Commercial herb/oil
preparations contain substances that inhibit
the growth of these toxins, but we at home
do not have these resources. The beautiful
bottles filled with herbs don't have to be
history, however. You can still have that
fragrant and good looking holiday oil, but it
has to be stored properly in the refrigerator,
and for only 3 weeks maximum. Having
said that, please read below for the safest
way to make and store herbal gourmet oils

How to Make Herbed Oils and Butters

All About Eggs

Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on earth and can be part of a healthy diet. However, they are perishable just like raw meat, poultry, and fish. Unbroken, clean, fresh shell eggs may contain Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. While the number of eggs affected is quite small, there have been cases of foodborne illness in the last few years. To be safe, eggs must be safely handled, promptly refrigerated, and thoroughly cooked.
What is the history of the egg?
"Eggs existed long before chickens," according to On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee. "The first eggs were released, fertilized, and hatched in the ocean. Around 250 million years ago, the earliest fully land-dwelling animals, the reptiles, developed a self-contained egg with a tough, leathery skin that prevented fatal water loss. The eggs of birds, animals that arose some 100 million years later, are a refined version of this reproductive adaptation to life on land. Eggs, then, are millions of years older than birds. Gallus domesticus, the chicken more or less as we know it, is only a scant 4 or 5 thousand years old."

Shell Eggs from Farm to Table | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service
View attachment 13675

Bar Food: Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs

Pickled Eggs

It’s a bit disingenuous to call the startlingly scarlet pickled hens’ eggs of Pennsylvania “bar food.” After all, these are more home-style cooking typical of Amish country than the pickled eggs Charles Bukowski might’ve wolfed down in nameless demi-fictional California watering holes.

But, man alive, I’d love to see ‘em in more real bars. That is, assuming the kind of joints that serve pickled eggs don’t fade into memory under an onslaught of appletinis, Jäger bombs, and vodka whatevers. You can tart them up if you want to with chichi toppings or fancy presentation, but the plain fact is that pickled eggs have been drinkers’ fodder for centuries and they don’t need fancification. These are a particularly delicious example
Rowley's Whiskey Forge: Bar Food: Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs

There are no home canning directions for pickled eggs. All of the following pickled egg recipes are for storage in the refrigerator. Pickled eggs should never be at room temperature except for serving time, when they should be limited to no more than 2 hours in the temperature danger zone of 40 to 140 degrees F.

Caution: Home pickled eggs stored at room temperature have caused botulism. For the report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), see Foodborne Botulism From Eating Home-Pickled Eggs --- Illinois, 1997 The Editorial Note in this report cautions against room temperature pickling and storage, also. The CDC further cautions that to reduce the risk for botulism when pickling, food items should be washed and cooked adequately, and utensils, containers, and other surfaces in contact with food, including cutting boards and hands, should be cleaned thoroughly with soap and warm water. Containers (e.g., jars and lids) in which pickling will occur should be sterilized (e.g., placed in boiling water for a prescribed period).
National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle
View attachment 13676View attachment 13677

That all-you-can-eat menu is a waste of time. Every time I ask for extras it takes them 40 minutes to bring it out. I ain't got time for that **** so I just go on to some place else, if possible.
yeah TA restaurant service is nortoriously SLOW and for some reason foods always COLD by the time they bring it to ya of couse they can microwave it at a cost of another 15 - 20 minutes
I take my plates in convienence store and nuke it there myself

AND LEAVE DENNY'S ALONE

dennys has great deals even a $5 full breakfast the way it should be

Flying GYP restaurants not only sucked but they were the highest priceAND ALWAYS LOUSY

I say welcome Denny's. And GOOD RIDDENCE TO FLYING J RESTAURSNT

PILOT did a great thing by bringing Denny's in and all the old timers can whine about how first thing they do is take out the restaurant

I havent been into the Denny's at the J since they switched over.If I can still get my country fried steak,Then we are good.

Re: All About Eggs

Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on earth and can be part of a healthy diet. However, they are perishable just like raw meat, poultry, and fish. Unbroken, clean, fresh shell eggs may contain Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. While the number of eggs affected is quite small, there have been cases of foodborne illness in the last few years. To be safe, eggs must be safely handled, promptly refrigerated, and thoroughly cooked.

Shell Eggs from Farm to Table | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

Now you are talking! Da Chikin knows eggs!
View attachment 13678

Re: Cast Iron Cookware

I absolutely love cooking in cast iron skillets... I think the food taste's better, and the smell of food cooking in cast iron reminds me of grandma's house :)

The Irreplaceable Cast Iron Pans
Seasoning cast iron pans and skillets - Cleaning cast iron cookware

View attachment 13679View attachment 13680

Cast Iron Cookware - Cast Iron Pans - Cast Iron Skillets

Cast Iron Pans, Cast Iron Skillets, Cast Iron Cookware, Seasoning Cast Iron, How To Season Cast Iron, How to Clean Cast Iron
View attachment 13679View attachment 13680

Re: All About Eggs

Copper River salmon is the very best. And there is only one place to get it. The Copper River in Alaska.

Well worth the price.

That's probably the only thing I miss from visiting my sister when she lived in yer neck o' the woods. The salmon. I could eat salmon every night. But my girlfriend hates it. I think she needs a brain transplant.

...AND LEAVE DENNY'S ALONE

dennys has great deals even a $5 full breakfast the way it should be

Flying GYP restaurants not only sucked but they were the highest priceAND ALWAYS LOUSY

I say welcome Denny's. And GOOD RIDDENCE TO FLYING J RESTAURSNT

PILOT did a great thing by bringing Denny's in and all the old timers can whine about how first thing they do is take out the restaurant

Dennies is great what are you talkin bout?

Them's fightin' words! :paddle:

We had a couple of days off, and I didn't feel like cooking today, so We went down the road to Denny's to eat...My hubby said he couldn't believe that out of all the places to eat on our home time, that I would want to go to a truck stop...LOL

BTW the Denny's in Wyoming, I-80 exit 104 makes a mean zesty nacho salad!

damn right Denny's rocks

You can still get in and out mea koffee n tip on ten bucks the way it ought to be

Try that at formerly the SCREWERY

GOOD RIDDENCE TO FLYINJ RestaurNOTS

I just went to Denny's just for the hell of it cuz I've been boycotting them since they took over the Flying J's and don't accept your points like the Cookery used to.

Denny's has good breakfast stuff, and good burgers. But that's it. Not much of a menu. I can't eat at Denny's on a daily basis because I never have that kind of time when I'm on the road. No buffet? No time. I will not put a waitress or a chef in charge of my time.

At home, late at night, when nothing else is open, Denny's is ok.

I got the lumberjack slam and coffee. The GF got the American slam and a smoothie. Bill was $22 something. $4 tip, almost $27. Not too bad but I can't do that every day. We can both eat at Subway for roughly $10.

Re: Cast Iron Cookware

The Irreplaceable Cast Iron Pans
Seasoning cast iron pans and skillets - Cleaning cast iron cookware

View attachment 13681View attachment 13682

Cast Iron Cookware - Cast Iron Pans - Cast Iron Skillets

Cast Iron Pans, Cast Iron Skillets, Cast Iron Cookware, Seasoning Cast Iron, How To Season Cast Iron, How to Clean Cast Iron
I have been meaning to get a good cast iron pan.They say the more you use them the better they get and like you said the food tastes better.I think my Lagostina fry pan is on it`s last leg,The rest of the set is still ok though.
View attachment 13681View attachment 13682

I brought a sheet metal skillet camping once when I was a teenager. We were cooking chicken legs in a skillet over a Coleman stove. They turned out ok cuz I was constantly rolling them around with a fork but when I got home, I couldn't get the black **** off the pan no matter what I tried. Soaking it, scotch pads, steel wool, hydrochloric acid, ... nothing was working so I took it school and sand-blasted it in the metals shop. I think my mom still has that skillet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread