Truckers Health When ya sit down / lay down Everything starts snapping

i would invest in a better drivers seat than the OEM crap they put in trucks. that shit will have you crippled an in a wheel chair
I already have a great driver seat that fits me perfect. Roads still suck and day cabs are still like pogo sticks and chassis still toss because the box isn't connected solid to it. It has play that makes it slap.

A 240 inch WB sleeper pulling an air ride single unit trailer is a different experience.

Heck even my truck feels like a whole different truck pulling an air ride dry van trailer.

I already have a great driver seat that fits me perfect. Roads still suck and day cabs are still like pogo sticks and chassis still toss because the box isn't connected solid to it. It has play that makes it slap.

A 240 inch WB sleeper pulling an air ride single unit trailer is a different experience.

Heck even my truck feels like a whole different truck pulling an air ride dry van trailer.
I wonder if your ride is rough because you weigh significantly less than the typical megafleet lardassrd whom the seats were designed for.

I have this 70 pound slab of solid steel the size and shape of a big thick dictionary.

I wonder if you could get something like that & find a way to mount it on the seat somewhere to serve as ballast and smooth out the ride.

Or a bunch of smaller pieces that'll be easier to find room for, that add up.

A heavier truck rides smoother, why wouldn't a heavier seat? :dunno:

I wonder if your ride is rough because you weigh significantly less than the typical megafleet lardassrd whom the seats were designed for.

I have this 70 pound slab of solid steel the size and shape of a big thick dictionary.

I wonder if you could get something like that & find a way to mount it on the seat somewhere to serve as ballast and smooth out the ride.

Or a bunch of smaller pieces that'll be easier to find room for, that add up.

A heavier truck rides smoother, why wouldn't a heavier seat? :dunno:
It's possible. Could be I'm a wimp too.

It's not really my seat anymore though. It's pretty solid compared to the janky factory one, and it doesn't bounce me off the ground so to speak.

The cab itself is being tossed around a lot because the truck chassis is being tossed around a lot. It doesn't help that the truck was designed and marketed to be as light as possible for higher payloads.

It feels great when it's held down by freight. Those paper loads always felt good. I'm taking 38k down I81 tonight and it'll probably feel good.

I have GoPro video of an empty box literally bouncing up and down on the chassis. If they're not heavy enough to stay down, they bounce every time the road is less than perfect. The road is almost never perfect. That collision of steel on steel is not comfortable.

Uncomfortable seats aside, I had a better go with the Schneider sleepers doing regional than I did with the day cabs running local. And those were the same chassis and loads, just in a continuous loop vs out and back.

My day cab window is a bit of a crutch for some of these places and I thought the wheelbase being Schneider sleeper sized would be enough for adequate smoothness. It's better than the Schneider shorties but it's not as helpful as I age.

I always fantasize about pulling an RGN with some kind of 40k-ish piece of equipment on it down the road. The air ride, the low center of gravity, the dampening weight, the solid unitized nature of the load. It would be a dream.

I always fantasize about pulling an RGN with some kind of 40k-ish piece of equipment on it down the road. The air ride, the low center of gravity, the dampening weight, the solid unitized nature of the load. It would be a dream.
If it's just a fantasy, why not fantasize about something better than trucking?

Like flying a massive cargo jet full of Big Macs to Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort with naked supermodels in the cockpit trying to figure out why it's called a cockpit..

If it's just a fantasy, why not fantasize about something better than trucking?

Like flying a massive cargo jet full of Big Macs to Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort with naked supermodels in the cockpit trying to figure out why it's called a cockpit..
My non trucking fantasy is being in a limousine full of bubbles and girls named Bubbles.

Has anyone tried the Bose seat? The Bose seat division has been acquired by clear motion.
They had a demonstration Bose seat at one of the truck shows, but the line was too long for me to wait to try it. With the Sciatica and all.
I think that seat retails for almost 6,000 American, like $1849 in Kuwaiti Dinar.

Has anyone tried the Bose seat? The Bose seat division has been acquired by clear motion.
They had a demonstration Bose seat at one of the truck shows, but the line was too long for me to wait to try it. With the Sciatica and all.
I think that seat retails for almost 6,000 American, like $1849 in Kuwaiti Dinar.
I don't have that many Kwiet Dinners.

Anything with the Bose name on it is going to cost 5 times more than it's worth.

That is a fantasy. Anyone pulling an RGN with less than 100k on the deck is working for free. 40k goes on a Ledwell or Landoll.

Anything with the Bose name on it is going to cost 5 times more than it's worth.

That is a fantasy. Anyone pulling an RGN with less than 100k on the deck is working for free. 40k goes on a Ledwell or Landoll.
They got them XL Specialized with basically flat decks that can haul anything. The tongue is full deck, the dwell is full deck, and the rear axle is full deck.

Probably doesn't pay shit these days (nothing does) but there's more to life than overweight.

Dude on YouTube has been doing it for years with a former Keen cab over. Mostly hauls fire trucks out of Wisconsin. Financials aside, the use case exists. Because the decks are complete he's also hauled equipment in the dwell and pallets of accessories or smaller equipment on the tongue and axles.

I'm also near an army depot and two crane/reach/scissor manufacturers so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

The big problem I have is the day cab being range limited.

Last edited:
I'm thinking even if the load isn't 40k the air bags on the RGN would make the lighter ones feel better.

I don't think airbags were invented to make heavy loads ride better. I think they were invented to make the lighter ones ride better.

That 38k container load down to VA rode fine. It's the light ones that suck.

You've already stated that you would never pull a tank, but it might be worth looking into if you like to be home, make good money and keep the day cab. I'm pretty sure KAG has a terminal near you as well as Penn Tank Lines.

You've already stated that you would never pull a tank, but it might be worth looking into if you like to be home, make good money and keep the day cab. I'm pretty sure KAG has a terminal near you as well as Penn Tank Lines.
Tank as in military pow pow or tank as in tanker kaboom?

I've casually entertained the idea of a milk or non-explosive/flammable tanker. There's a milk transporter around the corner from me (literally) that I've considered offering my services to, if not selling my truck outright to since they have a near identical one from my same fleet.

They run their trucks into the ground though so I'd have to let go of this truck as my baby if I sold it to them. Might be hard to watch.

You think cans and chassis beat you up? You haven't ever pulled a smooth-bore I take it. You learn to become a real smooth operator real quick. With a manual trans it teaches you all about shifting all over again.

I was referring to a fuel tanker. Get a job with Pilot/Crooked Hook, or Gemini/Loves. New equipment, paid by the hour, top benes, uniforms, etc... The drop hoses are already set up. It's a pure lazy mans job.

It is to them. Each one wants to see which can beat the hell out of you better. :D
I mean I've seen those Sheetz tankers blow my doors off, and they didn't appear to be roughing it. Volvo day cabs.

Don't know if I'm just not as steady as I used to be or what. I do remember bitching less about Bezos' dry vans.

There is a massive difference between a smooth-bore and compartmented fuel trailer. There is no surge or sloshing with a fuel trailer. They have baffles in the compartments and the newer ones have a much lower center of gravity. You just have to respect the load more. A milk/juice or chemical tank (smooth-bore) can be a wild ride. Surging back and forth, whiplashing you, then slapping you in the back of the head. I had 2, 4700 gallon compartments. I'd load 4200 in the back and 3800 in the front. It gave a nice smooth ride. Plus everything was on air but the steer axle.

Most of the smooth-bores have a 6500 gallon capacity. But put in 4000 gallons of say Dawn, Ethylene-Glycol or other heavy weight per gallon product and it never settles down. As soon as it does, some dumbass makes a move causing you to have to tap the brakes and there you go again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread