What is the major problem for owner operator today ...

My company overall is one of the less desirable. It's this dedicated account that's a sweet gig.

Slipseating sucks though.

You get people leaving their trucks like this for the next guy.

ec1620633ee1f4590d30741456d270c5.jpg

I'm hauling tanker in the southeast and doing pretty good with it but I want more. I want my own truck. I've considered buying a used truck cheap and sinking the necessary money in it to make it solid. But I'm trying to figure out if it's gonna benefit. I want the pride of owning my own truck and the freedom but at the same time if I'm not making anymore than I am now is it really worth it. Trucking has changed so much in the 16 years ive driven. There used to be great money in it, back before drivers were being,mass produced in the schools.

The intangible benefits of being Your Own Boss are greater than ever being a company driver.

This is a difficult choice for many people . All like to be independent and freedom .
But many people fear about do this . Look like a lottery today .

It is more satisfying on several levels to own the truck and call the shots, but it does take more effort. But done right, that extra effort has a financial pay off. It is a business, not a hobby or some game of strutting around and proclaiming you are an O/O. Ego trips just cause financial ruin. But a serious bean counter that manages his stuff well, generally is living a much better lifestyle. I do very well, home on weekends and holidays and by the house a couple of times a week (both because I limit who I haul for and the range of where I operate), took 4 weeks off last year, and my net, after even meal allowance deductions and all the other stuff including a 179 one time write off of a $18,000 new John Deere 825i gator I use to maintain the parking area and snow removal for the truck, was roughly $80K. So much so, that in conjunction with my accountant, I changed to an LLC with a S corp tax structure. Saves me around $8000 a year in taxes at least. And this year, my 2015 Silverado 2500 goes into the business as a depreciation because it is used primarily for business parts runs, transportation to and from truck occasionally (especially in bad weather when I can't get the truck out to my rural home), and hauling drums of oil and other stuff for business. That is another $35,000 depreciation broke down over the next 3 years. Thought of doing a 179 one time write off on it as well, and may end up doing that yet. And when I go on a vacation, I find a way to include business in the venture, I can use the 2500 for the trip including pulling an RV, and the entire vacation expense for travel is a write off. Last year, I wrote off most of a trip to Memphis because the wife wanted to see Graceland. I included a meeting with my oil supplier in St. Louis with a personal tour of the facilities by the CEO and owner. Was all in fun, but a business write off nonetheless.

yeah, I'll keep at it. No interest in driving another man's truck.

Last edited:
Damn, all I remember of his post was the first paragraph when I was it sunday.

Spot on though.

It's not about focusing on "$2/mile" freight.

Copperhead how long have you been in the biz to figure all that out?

For over 3 decades at this game, but grew up with folks who farmed and had construction business, so learned a lot from them. Trucking is no different than any other business when the numbers hit the spreadsheet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread